Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Pics of 58 Chevies

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dick Stevens, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

2. raymay

raymay

1958%20Chevrolet%20Bel%20Air%20(2).jpg 3617905103_ef8b8afeb2_z.jpg
    I had a hardtop parts car several years ago. I believe it was a model #1834. Looks just like a regular Belair except without the posts between the door and quarter glass. Found these picture on internet.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
    Spooky, 58cchevy, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  3. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Yes, they made a sport coupe and a 2 door sedan in the Belair model only. Thanks for sharing photos with us :)

4. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

My FIRST car, besides my 46 Jeep was a 58 Del Ray black & white [ ex town police car ] had LOTsa fun w that cruisin the Steak & Shakes in Peoria Illinois and the A&W in Metamora as a 16 YO kid ;) :) no pics left tho :(

5. My 58 Bel Air 2 door hardtop

Attached Files:

Stogy and Dick Stevens like this.
  6. Saved mine from a wrecking yard. 11 yrs to find all the, missing parts. I look forward to doing the upholstery.

Attached Files:

7. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Did it look like that in the wrecking yard? Holy Cow, that is nice....have you tried Auto City Classic for parts, they claim to have a lot of used parts available as well as new repop parts?

8. Didn't look anything like it does now. People don't advertise Biscayne parts very often. So it took a lot longer than I anticipated. The reason they quit driving it, was because the wiring loom under the dash, shorted out and burned. The car had been in an accident, but a little Bondo slapped on there, and they just kept on driving.

Glad I didn't let it go to the crusher.

9. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

OK, just wondering, it looks good now.

10. lots of one year only stuff on GM's 1958 line up......maybe another reason they didn't last in the wrecking yard....we had a 58 convert on the bottom of a stack of three in the late 80's.....old man Fry was counting money the day he dug that one out....

11. Mr.348 - never noticed that your car was the rare BelAir sport coupe. Nice! All business looking and clean with it's minimal trim.
    One of my friends has a 57 210 sport coupe that had been ''Belaired'' at some point in it's life. Cool that he's going to put it back to 210 trim

12. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I hadn't thought of that, that may be part of why it seemed to be ignored.

Jack Wagon likes this.
  13. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

My plans for mine will be similar to this one with bright red where this is light blue

58 Biscayne.jpg

and just to add to the pics I will add this brochure pic

58 Imapala.jpg

Stogy likes this.
  14. Thanks! Yes the Bel Air Sport Coupe is pretty rare as most people that wanted a hardtop would buy an Impala not a Bel Air. It is one of 972 CANADIAN built 6 cylinder(originally) that rolled out of the Oshawa, Ontario plant. Likely another 900-1000 V8 cars would have been produced so here in Canada they are rare.

15. Raymay, that Anniversary Gold hardtop is just beautiful. The body and paint are really really nice. Your car?

16. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I had a guy try to sell me a 58 Belair 2 door hardtop after I was already started on my Biscayne and I declined, maybe that was a mistake?

17. carlk60

carlk60

Wifes new car. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1416789587.042451.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Hey that is a real nice looking wagon, I like it a lot. :);)

Spooky likes this.
  19. davidh73750

davidh73750

I've noticed they seemed to have caught on more lately. See a lot more at shows too

20. raymay

raymay

No, it is a great looking car but not my car. Those were pictures I found to answer another post asking what a Belair hardtop looked like.
    The two 58 Belair and Biscayne cars I used to own are pictured in a post earlier in this tread.

21. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Back to the top, in search of some more pictures.

22. Thumpr455

Thumpr455

Here's another. This one was at Greer Dragway for the Gasser Finals/car show on Nov. 8th, 2014. 2014-11-8 Gasser_1239 1958 Chevy Impala_Fl.jpg

Spooky, quick85, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  23. Love '58s especially sedan deliveries and 2 door yeomans. More pics of deliveries please 58chev50991-1.jpg

24. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Mikey, I like your sedan delivery, they are cool.

25. 58cchevy

58cchevy

1.jpg my avatar is a bel air hardtop. Isn't there are more 58 chevies ? lets see more photos.

26. Moonglow2

Moonglow2

Since I am an old-timer who was an avid car enthusiast at the time, I know a little background about the 58 models a lot have forgotten or simply never knew. 1958 was the 50th anniversary of General Motors and that is why all their makes were one year only. The Tri-Fives had made GM a fortune and GM felt like celebrating with the one year only tooling. It turned out to be a disaster because the economy took a nosedive that year and a lot of people lost their job, including my Dad. As a result of the styling changes and a poor economy they didn't sell very many 58 GM models. That said, the 58 Impala has always been one of my favorites. It just oozes sex appeal even today.

Dick Stevens likes this.
  27. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I am glad you shared that account of why there were fewer 58's produced. I believe I read somewhere once that the 58 was supposed to be the model made for 57, but since it was a complete redesign and it wasn't going to be ready for production in time, they made some changes to the 55/56 body shell instead and delayed the intro of the new design. Whichever is true, it is interesting to hear. IMHO every model of the 58 was appealing.

28. If I remember correctly, 56 Chevy passenger car, tail light lenses, screw right into the two light pod on the 58 Chevy's. Haven't been able to find any pictures.

29. chevyhound

chevyhound
    from usa

Is there anything else you believe we should hope to know about the '58? Maybe like, the Impala is unique from all other '58 models from after the doors to the rear. Or why there were changes mid year? Trivia is always good.