Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My '54 Ford Mainline Project

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by childersbros, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Thanks guys hope all has had a great thanksgiving.I hope to get back on it and get it back rolling soon.

2. Cool car. I have very similar plans with mine, except keeping the 239 for the time. Just got done with the front end rebuild. Are you going with dropped spindles and disk brakes at some point? I find the Aerostar coils do get it lower, but I think it needs another inch or two for the look!

3. I dig it dude... My '56 is needing the front end tear down treatment as well and I need to figure out what I'm doing under the hood. I just don't know how driver friendly the 272 will be.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. @voodookustoms, you can also knock the spring pocket out of the control arm, and space it out. Thats a pretty common trick with '54-6 ford front A-arms.

Looks like a good build!

5. demonspeed

demonspeed

Nice car & Nice work! I just got mine on the road about 2 weeks ago I've been having a blast with it!

6. Thanks. I tried that but with the dropped springs and the spacers it had about an inch of travel. Didn't try driving it like that, I just figured it wouldn't work.

7. Made some progress have most of the suspension together just need to put the sway bar on and get brakes together.

Attached Files:

8. Sorry for the rough pictures but that's the best I can get with the garage door closed and the terrible lighting I have.

9. .

I love the direction your headed on this.
    It's no wonder, as here are a few pics of my old 54 I built a few years back.

_DMM7610-1.jpeg DSC_8614.jpeg

These cars make great mild customs.

Keep up the great work.

SicSpeed likes this.
  10. Love this car!

11. Finished brake lines and front brakes. Just need to put the new bearings in the hubs and she will be a roller again. Plus I trade tee 351C for a 302 SBF. The 302 is rebuild already I just need to paint it and install it. Saved me some cash on rebuilding the 351.

Attached Files:

12. khead47

khead47

Cool car! My first car was a 54 Mainline bought for $40 ! ( in 1965 ) When I closed the driver door, the whole side of the body would wiggle in and out. Great memories.

13. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

14. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

A lot of folks don't know 1952-54 Ford rear brake drums were also used on Ford E-100's Autozone part # 8195

15. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

This is another common and cheap upgrade to your brakes.

16. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

17. Thanks I'll have to look into the dual master cylinder upgrade.

18. Front end on the ground!! Rear end out, but found it is a dana 44.

Attached Files:

19. Slopok

Slopok

If it has the little tag on it that will tell you the gear ratio.

20. Slopok

Slopok

That is absolutely gorgeous, do you still own it?

21. No sir Slopok. I sold it a few years back. It went to California then Oregon and has just found a home in Massachusetts. The new owner called me a few weeks ago.

22. Slopok

Slopok

Wish I knew the fate of some of my previous cars, often wonder if they are still around.

23. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

Nice build. That car is going to run great with a Cleveland.
    I love these Fords as my first American car was a 53 Victoria. Bought it when I was 18 in 1974 and it was all stock, Flatty with a Fordamatic. Here Is the best pic I could find of the car. My girlfriends mom took this shot the day I shaved the handles and frenched the headlights. Later it had a set of 1/2 skirts but I liked it better without them to show off the Olds caps.
    [​IMG]

24. It looks like you have made a lot of progress since I last checked in,your doing a good job! HRP

25. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool project - good to see that you are going thru brakes, suspension - will help make it reliable and safe - hope that seat belts are on the list

childersbros likes this.
  26. Yes they are. My wife told me she or my 3 year old daughter would ride in it without them. I don't blame her haha

27. Sorry not many updates we just had our second child.

voodookustoms likes this.
  28. Here she is and my amazing 3 year old. I have however start getting some parts in for my 302.

Attached Files:

Copper Top likes this.