Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Seeking advice about shifting a 1951 Desoto Carryall

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gaga4toyz, Dec 2, 2014.

1. gaga4toyz

gaga4toyz

2. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

The last vehicle I remember having a column manual shifter was built back in the 70's, so it's no wonder somebody in their 40's may never have seen one or had any experience with one!

I think the advise on the stuck drum is right on target. A few good licks with a BFH usually will break them loose.

3. gaga4toyz

gaga4toyz

That's what I was thinking BamaMav. Just like my kids don't know anything about:
    Floppy disks, VCR tapes, Video rental stores, records and record stores, developing film, wired internet, dial up modems, typewriters, cassette tapes, dial up noises, fax machines, beepers, remote controls with cords, cable boxes with buttons, 4 good channels on tv, cell phones that came in a big backpack, landlines, fax machines, laser disks, books, cursive writing, rotary phones, pay phones, etc.

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

My 2011 GMC automatic has a column shifter just where the manual shifter was on my '62 Lark. I would expect that someone seeing the arm sticking out there would at least consider that it was for shifting gears. But what do I know? SAE once sent me an invitation to apply for membership. But as I had no degree I didn't think they would accept me. So I have no engineer experience.

5. Harbor Freight will sell you a set of dollies for around $40 a shot. Put the wheel on one of those. It will roll fine on smooth surfaces.

6. gaga4toyz

gaga4toyz

Got the wheels turning a lot better. I was able to push the car by myself. Hooked up a chain and pulled it around a while until it freed up. Also checked out the shifter which is there. It's missing the blinker lever on the left side of the column. I checked out the emergency brake set-up on the transmission as well. That's a pretty neat set-up.