Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1934 Ford Tudor Sedan

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by koister, Dec 2, 2014.

1. koister

koister
    from arizona

Hi,
    My first time posting.

I am building a 1934 Ford Sedan. After tearing into the doors and finding all of the rust i decided to build new doors. I dont mind saying that i regret the decision but now i wont quit until i figure out how to build them. Has anyone ever attempted to build doors from scratch? If so i am looking for any and all suggestions. Beacuse there are so many contours and such i am building the doors frames in four pieces(not exactly true, will explain) the vertical sections front and rear of the door and the top and bottom sections and then welding them togehter to form the shape of the door. Explanation. I am actually building each section in multiple pieces. Lets take the rear vertical pieces. It is actually 3 pieces welded together. I made a pattern off the b pillar and cut this piece our to 18 gauge steel then i made two L shaped pieces for the inner and outer flanges. I used the shinker strecher to make them the shape of the pieces that i cut using the template. I then welded these on to the piece i cut using the template of the b pillar. I now have the rear vertical section of the door. It has a flange to mount the skin and a flange to mount the door panel. I am then clamping these sections into the door opening and when i get them all in and fitting i plan to weld them together. the one problem with this approach is i am not real sure how to form the offsets that are in the front and top section of the door. I assume these offsets are to block wind or mount weather stripping (not sure that they had weatherstripping back in the day.
    Does anyone have a better way of approaching building doors??
    Thanks,
    Ken

2. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Pics would help alot. If you feel your in deeper than desired, punt for some better used doors.

3. koister

koister
    from arizona

how do you add pics. I have some on my computer but it wants a url???

4. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Try using the "upload a file" feature, right next to the "post reply" button.

5. lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. koister

koister
    from arizona

Here is a pic of the car. I couldnt resist. I know that you want to see pics of the door but as it turns out they are in the camera so i will get them downloaded today

Attached Files:

7. We need to see the inside of the doors. Looking at this pic, I see a very good looking door. Yes, maybe the bottom is rotted off on the inside or something? And, if you've been in Arizona a while then your used to dry unrusted sheet metal. No so fortunate here in the east. If you have any part of your doors inner structure left, try to expand on it. I had to do that with my cabrio doors to lengthen them. If you can save the inner framework, then get some skins, belt line down. I like the looks of the car. I had a chopped '34 two door years ago. Not sure where it is now. I'll follow along. Tim 271.JPG

8. retromotors

retromotors

To quote CCR, "I feel a bad moon arisin'."

9. alchemy

alchemy

There are lots of doors out there with the bottoms rusted off that would give you at least a half field head start. Creating from total scratch is not necessary unless you are only doing it for entertainment. And if it was entertainment for you, you probably wouldn't be asking a forum questions. Look through the classifieds and I bet you could find a couple within the last six months. Here's a passenger side, but give him a PM as he's always digging up more '34 stuff: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1934-ford-2dr-sedan-doors.941093/#post-10589340

ff1930 likes this.