Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Ron Pratt

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by keywestjack, Dec 1, 2014.

1. keywestjack

keywestjack
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Pittsburgh

I was sent this and all I can say is wow!!! Heaven on Earth:

2. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have watched Ron Pratt collect a lot of these cars over the years and I'm still shocked that he is selling his collection. I will definitely be watching this.

3. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I guess the sad thing is that he will probably take a pretty big hit on most of those toys!
    Maybe he needs a write off, or his new girlfriend isn't into cars.
    Whatever the case, he does own some truly amazing vehicles.
    Good Luck Ron Pratt!
    KK

4. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

He has stepped to the plate and bought some wonderful vehicles. He has been very generous with charitable donations.

For some reason, I feel suspicious about his relationship with Craig Jackson. Perhaps there is more to the story?

no matter what, the sale of his collection will be something special to watch. I wish him great success.

wingnutz and vintageauto like this.

5. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

It really is hard to wrap your head around Ron Pratt's extensive collection of very rare cars.

This event should be the event of the year for car collectors world wide.

Jimbo

6. verde742

verde742

Amazing, they say he started his "needs" in 2003,, WOW !! in and out in 11 years, never met a car guy that functioned like that. Most car nutz I know couldn't shake this disease if we wanted to.

Thru divorces and setbacks, seems there is "always" an altered vehicle in carport or garage.

wvenfield and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Selling the collection or thinning and culling the herd? Either way it will be interesting.

8. Paging Jay Leno.....

9. fuzzface

fuzzface

sounds like the entire collection is going up, cars and even all his automobilia stuff

10. oldolds

oldolds

Sometimes money people need to move the money. Win , lose, or draw. They just need to have cash for another project. No matter what his reason is, it takes a lot to cover 8% buyers premium and 8% sellers commission and listing fees, detailing, ect.

11. I thought I heard that he was just a front (buyer)for some guy building a museum in Colorado. Think this was told when he was buying the GM concept car ( pontiac) I believe. I could be mistaken & generally am.

12. verde742

verde742

yep Bob, got yer wires crossed,,The guy building the museum built it around a premier GM proto type car: It was an OLDSMOBILE.. Google Oldsmobile proto car.. see what happens.. no biggie..

Olds' concept car sold for $3.24 million

bobwop likes this.
  13. I too have watched Mr. Pratte step up to the plate and purchase many of the unique cars that are in his unbelievable collection,I don't know why he is selling but he has his reasons.

His has donated millions to charity and I have always admired his taste in cars.
    HRP

36 coupe and bobwop like this.
  14. FASI

FASI

I had the good fortune to tour his private museum. It is more than impressive. He seems to have bought everything he either saw or took a liking to. The quality is amazing and the automobilia seems to be endless. I wish I had the dough to be at B-J when this sells.

15. AHotRod

AHotRod

Wow .........

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thank you for posting the link Jack, first time I've ever seen the whole collection. So many great cars, but the one that cought my eye was that red 1909 Model T. Hope there are a lot of good caretakers in Scottsdale 2015. Bob

17. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

They had a show on the Velocity channel a week or two ago to promote the auction. Mr. Pratt said he was simply ready to move on to other things. He wants to slow down and spend more time flying. My impression is he's rich enough to not worry a lot about if the sale nets a profit.

DenK likes this.
  18. tjelwood

tjelwood
    from oklahoma

If you have velocity on tv the Pratte Collection preview is coming up at the top of the hour. 11 eastern 10 central

19. southerncad

southerncad

Gotta' ask, although, I not much of a buyer, more interested in watching the auction....so when is it gonna' happen? Or did I miss something...again:)

DenK likes this.
  20. I had heard (perhaps on the HAMB) that he is into vintage aircraft now and that is the reason he is selling off his collection.

21. FASI

FASI

Here is a sample inside his museum, if the pictures loaded.

SORRY. Files are too large.

22. frank spittle

frank spittle

I have seen this happen numerous times over the last 50 years.....someone with unlimited resources puttting together a magnificent collection of highly desirable cars and then sell them....but never to this extreme. He has raised the bar. But I believe there are buyers lining up across the world ( some with unlimited resources putting together their own collections) to buy these cars and he will not take a hit

23. verde742

verde742

O Frank I totally agree, From what I have heard from people who know, this is the nicest of the nicest. There will be no "bargain bins" I betcha it will be hi prices !!!

24. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

I watched the hour long preview. The neon sign collection alone is amazing. Then there are the rare Shelby related vehicles. Should be interesting to see how much the collection brings in January.

25. Ron Pratte

[​IMG]
    Net Worth: $350 Million
    • Source of Wealth Pratte Development co., Inc.
    • Full Name Ron Pratte
    • Nationality United States
    • Occupation Founder and Former CEO of Pratte Developemnt Co., Inc.
    About Ron Pratte
    Multi-millionaire Ron Pratte is an American businessman, entrepreneur, and car collector with an estimated net worth of $350 million. He has built his fortune as the founder and former Chief Executive Officer of the Pratte Development Company, Inc. It is one of the biggest wood framing and concrete foundation companies in the United States. It is a privately held company located in Phoenix, Arizona which manufactures structural wood products. He sold his development company to Pulte homes at the peak of the housing boom in Arizona. His move was at a great timing and he was able to cash out before the housing market crashed.

Ron Pratte is best known for his elaborate car collection as a big car buff. Among his collection of fine automobiles included the Shelby G500 which he purchased in 2008 for nearly $650 thousand. Last year, he bough a $4.1 million Futurliner bus. He also won the bid for Caroll Shelby’s 1966 Super Snake AC Cobra 800hp 427 dual quad, dual supercharged for $5 million. Other cars in his collection are the 1945 P-51 Mustang, the last Sting Ray, the first T Bird off the assembly line, and the Beverly Hillbillies Woody. Part of his fortune has been used to build up his privately owned car museum which is intended for his own personal enjoyment.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  26. tractorguy

tractorguy

BobWop.......very interesting observations. I caught the "preview" last night and have several thoughts. First and foremost......good for Ron Pratte. He has apparently worked very, very hard and been very, very lucky. He was a builder/developer in he Phoenix area during the unbelieveable housing boom.......and then was smart/lucky enough to sell the company before the real estate bust.
    I too was struck with an unusual feeling of just what is the relationship between Ron Pratte and Barrett-Jackson. It just looked kind of weird to watch the montage of Ron Pratte bidding/buying like a wild man ......something just felt "staged"......like there were certain outcomes pre-determined.
    Last but not least.......I just can't look at Barrett-Jackson President Steve Davis with those sleazy used car salesman sunglasses !! I would have trouble consigning my multi-million $$$ vehicle with any man who I cannot look in the eye.
    Oh......just one more point......have we kinda reached a saturation point with all the charity hype that seems to be a bigger and bigger part of these auctions......again.....I just feel a little skeptical about what might be behind the scenes.
    Really.....really my last point......In the "preview" segment last night, the charity Armed Forces Foundation was highlighted.......showing Patricia Driscoll as President of the charity......but not mentioning (duh).......that she is the girlfriend of Kurt Busch......and is suing him for domestic abuse !!!!

groundpounder likes this.
  27. fuzzface

fuzzface

It is part of the Barrett-Jackson auction in Scottsdale that is shown every Jan. I believe the dates are the 10-18 this year. Another year I won't be there, wish I was this time though. I see that he has reserves on some of them.

28. fuzzface

fuzzface

Super Snake, another Cobra, Howard Hughes Buick and the 54 Pontiac concept car are some with reserves but the Futurliner does not just to mention a couple that was highlighted in the op's first post video

I originally head he was selling everything for whatever he got but apparently not.

29. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Three or four years ago, I and a good friend transported the Daytona Pace Car to the auction. Ron purchased it in the name of charity, and we had to retrieve it from his place to take back to Daytona for the race. Consequently, we were able to spend a few hours at his museum and I can say it was totally unbelievable! He actually has two floors of vehicles and planes. At that time, we were not allowed to take any pictures.

ME.GASSER and lothiandon1940 like this.
  30. Tractorguy I agree about Steve Davis. Bright lights are supposed to bother him but gentleman would take off the glasses and look you inthe eyes. Certainly when he is about to sell you something. She is not sueing Kurt yet just an investgation is started and a restraining order against him.