Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Not a project yet.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by MatInTheHat, Nov 30, 2014.

1. MatInTheHat

MatInTheHat

I recently bought my dream car. 1941 Chevrolet Coupe. One of my fond memories of childhood was my dad driving me to school in the 41. He was a big man, and I can remember him bear hugging the wheel to get leverage on the column shift.

I'm doing that now mind you. And I kind of dig it.

There are some things I need to get sussed out before I can start calling it a project. I can tell you that it's bone stuck right now. 216, 3 speed, suspension and brakes built to 41 spec. 6 volt. I LOVE THE PEDAL STARTER!

I respect and admire all AACA guys in the world for their commitment to history, but I will admit to a certain...not wanting to die.

I'm lead to believe that these cars shift and run better with the vacuum assist removed.
    I have been told that the suspensions are actually not bad. That they have too many moving parts and therefore are not as robust as say, a mustang 2. I have been told that the bendix brakes will leave me hanging, should I ever drive really get out on the road.

Advice sirs? Hell, even just conversation? Thank you.

2. missysdad1

missysdad1

Since this is a hot rod forum you may not get the kind of activity you seek when you speak of owning a stock vehicle and wanting to retain many of the stock features. That's just not what we're about.

But...if you're interested in "souping up" the stock six with carburetors and exhaust, doing a few suspension mods to lower it a touch and perhaps add some accessory teardrop fender skirts you'd be welcomed with open arms.

The '41 Chevy is a beautiful car in stock form and doesn't need much to make it a very satisfying car to own and drive. Looks like you've got a good one. Now, what are you going to do with it?

3. That's a swell car. I can see my dad too in similar memories...
    Leave as is or do a few mods. Freshen up the brakes, good tires, maybe a few engine and exhaust mods?
    Ya got more pics?

4. MatInTheHat

MatInTheHat

I do eventually want to put at least dual carbs on the thing, and it's hard to see in the picture but it has got the fender skirts on it right now. I appreciate what you're trying to tell me though sir. I want to keep the spirit of the car, and I'm not really wanting to chop it.

But the car could be a watchtower right now and it WOULD look better a little lower :)

5. MatInTheHat

MatInTheHat

Truth be told I have a 67 Nova that I did TOO much to. I lost a lot of the character of the car.

The 41 right now squeals like I'm drifting when I go around corners at 35. My son loves it because he thinks we're going like a 100 miles an hour.

I'm trying to go into modifying this thing with as much info as I can find, and I think we all know that we can't really trust what most advertisers say about their own product.

I had too many people with my Nova tell me, "oh yeah, this is EXACTLY what you're looking for."

Which is why I'm asking y'all.

6. MatInTheHat

MatInTheHat

7. old1946truck

old1946truck

It's better to drive it and enjoy it rather than rip it apart and loose interest in it. Then after you have been driving it awhile decide what you want to do with. The only thing I would do is go through the brakes safety is a big thing.

8. Very good looking car!! Lower the front a tad and it will be just right. And yes, go through the mechanicals as need be.

9. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

If the only experience you've had with an old car is the memories of your youth I suggest you get in touch with people who have similar models and see what they have done to improve/update their car. A local car club, the internet, etc. will yield a wealth of information and ideas to help you make wise decisions on what to modify and how. Nothing worse than making a 'popular modification and finding the results are not what ou expected.

Frank

10. MatInTheHat

MatInTheHat

And that sir is part of the reason I've joined this site :) Because I agree with you 100 percent.

11. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beautiful car. 51-54 brakes will be an improvement and I agree with fab32 on driving the car until you decide what you want from the car.