Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Plymouth flathead in Ford hotrod?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dumprat, Nov 30, 2014.

1. I also would love to see a build thread.OBVIOUSLY I dig oddball motors.
    Keep us posted!!!

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. fortynut

fortynut

I didn't build it that way, but when I was still in high school I became the proud owner of a '32 Chevrolet Coupe, thanks to my Dad and a gambling debt he was owed. It was a five-window that had been given an engine transplant complete with '39 Ford trans, closed drive shaft and rear end., and a bone stock Flathead Ford engine! Yep! And, folks it drove better'n you might think --- when it ran. O' the woes. It still had the stock radiator and often squirted water into the crab-claw distributor, or the rain did, or the puddles did, or the fog. And, when that happened, it shorted out, stuttered, popped, and quit running. Then, you came to a stop, and were forced to raise the hood, reach in and pull it out the best you could and burn a piece of paper close enough to the distributor cap to dry it out, then reassemble the whole shebang, and hope it would crank. Which was dicey. This tried my patience once too often; and, being a hot-headed kid, after dealing with it, on one occasion in the middle of the road, in the middle of the winter, I put my grubby fist through the windshield. I had a little anti-freeze in me, and I guess I'd seen too many Hollywood movies with candy glass bottles being broken over one stunt man's head by another, and faux cowpokes tossed through saloon windows; or, not thinking at all. Or, all of the above. Because what I didn't know was Chevrolet didn't use safety glass! What I encountered was thick, plate glass that shattered into razor sharp shards; and, as my hand went through it was sliced to the bone in several places. Blood gushed out like a geyser! Wrapped in my t-shirt, it bled all the way to the hospital. In retrospect, as most horror stories are, it's funny in a strange way, as I recall, the somewhat gory and painful details, and put me in stitches even though I never laughed until. You're welcome to join me, without guilt. It was a punishment for getting emotional over the inevitable complication of the wear and tear of a machine, or something to that effect, and perhaps the Gremlins who exist in machinery to taunt us when we need to be reminded they have personalities and, as Steven King pointed out with Christine, can have a dark side. And, as to the idea of transplanting a Plymouth Flathead into a Ford, do so with this caveat: Don't lose your temper when things don't go accordin' to Hoyle. Brand gremlins, a sub-set of the category, may not like cross-breedin' as much as we may think; and, when Ford Gremlins meet other brand Gremlins, they may strike back in ways even those who approve of such interbreeding, can't foresee. Honest.

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  3. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

Nice read Forty !

4. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

The mil spec engines are a bit different than the small sixes. They do have oiling problems and a bunch of other weird quirks but they can run strong and reliably. Just don't rev them over 4000rpm!

5. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Sounds like a trip to me, but as mentioned there will be the gremlins. One is the 6 volt positive ground ignition system on the Mopar. There's a gazillion threads on converting them to 12 volt neg ground if you search, but be aware that the two systems (your car and the motor) will not play well together. Another issue is the driveshaft if you are planning to run the original Mopar trans. I'm a little fuzzy on yours in particular, but the later ones used 2 ball and trunion joints, not u-joints. If you opt for an open power train, there is no spline on the end of the tranny to slip joint a solid driveshaft. If you use the Ford torque tube you will need a way to machine it to the back of the 4 bolt output on your tranny.

6. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

The trans output is a fixed companion flange with four bolts and an e brake drum. Easy business to adapt an open driveshaft.
    Smiths gauges are common in British cars, positive ground and six volts. I may just get things swapped to 12v neg ground for ease though.
    Still haven't seen a good pic of it done, I guess that may be a good thing for me!

7. Look for a copy of Mag-Neto magazine #19. Moose's sedan is featured.

CrazyUncleHarry likes this.
  8. moose

moose

How about this?

Attached Files:

9. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Nice! Stock hood length? Doi spy a mag on there as well?

10. moose

moose

Listen to them. Don't do it. I want to keep being the only one around.

The body on mine is moved back 6-1/2" to make room for the longer engine. The rear spring is mounted that far in front of the axle to allow for lowering and rear seating at the same time. The moosemade hairpins mount the mopar axles(37 DeSoto front, and late forties Plymouth rear). The three speed came from a 46 Dodge, bell housing and pedals/master cylinder from a Dodge pickup.

Not a mag, its got a Mallory Mag-Spark and dual point. Edmunds head, Edgy ground cam, Tattersfield dual intake, headers by me.

11. moose

moose

Say what you will about the power from these motors, but mine makes plenty. Hadn't driven it for a few weeks, then this morning had to take my daughter to preschool with it. Roads were a little wet, had a good time.

12. moose

moose

"Sometimes, it's very tempting to be satisfied with what's easy, particularly if people tell you it's good." Alberto Giacometti

13. 64krusty

64krusty

sounds like a good plan to me,however, this is coming from the guy who has 2 merc flatheads and a plymouth coupe that I'm not brave enough to install 1 of them into.....

14. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

15. 64krusty

64krusty

I have the hemispherical fever....its a sickness, so there

16. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Glad I could help!

17. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Measured up the engine last night. The plymouth is 29" from the back of the head to the end of the water pump. Online listing says a Ford flathead is 30"

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i think what people liked about that engine is that it would run forever

19. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Have you thought about building a Plymouth or Dodge?

I get what you are driving at but can't see it, simply because a 20s - 30s Plymouth is far superior to a Ford, and cheaper.

The Plymouth had better (hydraulic) brakes, better suspension (4 springs instead of 2) better body (first with an all steel body) better drive train (conventional open driveshaft, much easier to modernize than the torque tube). They also sat lower and had a smoother style.

And, you can buy a Plymouth (or Dodge) that needs work, for a fraction of what you would pay for a Model A.

I can definitely see an early 30s Plymouth sedan, lowered, with modern brakes tires and shock absorbers, with a hopped up flathead six 5 speed floor shift trans and modern rear axle.

By the way Plymouth switched to a six cylinder engine in 1933, so a 33 up would have more room under the hood and make your conversion a lot easier.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
    volvobrynk and moose like this.
  20. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

I don't see what or if there would be any problem with fitment. A buddy has a Pontiac straight 8 sitting in a 31 Ford roadster which is sitting on a 37 Willys frame.

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. EXACTLY, well said. Hot-rodding is always evolving, always has been and always will be.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  22. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

The little six is going in a 34 Ford pick up. No disc brakes, no five speed. pre 1950 parts only style build. 16" wires, fenderless small chop, shortened box, no channel. Might even keep it six volt just cause.

23. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

And like I mentioned the engine is shorter than a flathead Ford.

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. 64krusty

64krusty

are we there yet....

volvobrynk and kiwijeff like this.
  25. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Close. I will be at your place soon....

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

27. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

The plymouth flatty fits great in the 34 truck. I have about 1" to the firewall with the cab in the stock location and the front mount is bolted up to the original motor mounts. I need to lift the front up another inch to clear the U bolts. I think I can even use the stock 34 throttle pedal and linkage in the stock location. The cab is not bolted down in this pic but it is now.

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. Looks like a fantastic fit! I'm a fan of these little motors; will be watching...just tell me that seat is going bye-bye :)

29. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Nope seat is gonna get redone in black vinyl and I need to ditch the headrests and the brackets off the bottom, they weigh a ton!

30. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.