Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1959 Buick push gas to start with an alternator

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 1959Buick, Dec 1, 2014.

1. 1959Buick

1959Buick
    from BC Canada

I have a 1959 Buick Le Sabre. I like to convert from a generator to an alternator. I bought an alternator bracket from a 1964 Buick Riviera and a new Remy mid-1980s GM B-body (Electra, Delta 88, etc) with the Olds 307 motor used a 78 amp 12SI alternator.( voltage regulator mounted internally ). Does anybody knows how to wire the new alternator on a push gas to start 1959 Buick ?
    Is there a wiring diagram ?
    Thanks for any help

2. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Why?? rebuild it and drive the wheels off of it. Nothing wrong with a generator. No better performance No better gas mileage....Why, One wire alternators are for pussies that are afraid all the time. Be a man build a generator

fsae0607 likes this.
  3. fsae0607

fsae0607

Most generator problems stem from worn brushes. Rebuild your generator; it's very similar to a starter and parts can be had from your local NAPA. With a good solid state voltage regulator, a generator is great!

4. JohnnyGretsch

JohnnyGretsch

Ditto, as long as the brushes and regulator are in good condition there is nothing wrong with generators at all.

5. BJR

BJR

Here you go. buick starter with alternator.jpg

6. 1959Buick

1959Buick
    from BC Canada

Thanks so much for the info BJR.
    For my other 3 friends. I know that a generator will be fine to, if you use the car for weekend drives. I you the car for business. (wedding ,wine tours etc.) I rebuild the generator ,but with slow driving, Radio, Air etc the generator will not work good enough. One other problem is ,that in Canada you can't go to Nappa and buy parts for old Buick’s .Every thing has to be shipped from the USA. Shipping is higher than the part. I will keep the generator

7. Crazyolman

Crazyolman

Basically the vacuum switch on the carburetor is grounded through the voltage regulator and when the engine is running will not complete the ground circuit to prevent engaging the starter. I just wired around that to ground and never had a problem since the vacuum switch also cuts off when the engine is running. If the vacuum switch ever got stuck it might cause a problem and that was what the regulated ground was to prevent.

8. JohnnyGretsch

JohnnyGretsch

I guess it depends. I drove a litte 1958 Holden to school and then tech college everyday for close to 3 years. The only time I ever had issues with the generator was when the brushes wore out, and believe me, the radio was always on and the aircon was cranked (especially during the summer, darn Aussie climate).

9. Man! an FC with air-con! it's a wonder the grey motor kept up!

10. 1959Buick

1959Buick
    from BC Canada

Yes ,but you drove the car. If you do Weddings, you stand alot car only idling.

11. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Glad someone could help, buy i like the first reply from Danny best.

12. JohnnyGretsch

JohnnyGretsch

It did struggle sometimes, but it was a necessity when it got to 40°C in the shade.