Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead heads

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Schwanke Engines, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Hello everyone,

Working on a 53 flatty for my 28 Tudor, I'm working on buying a set of heads, and wondering if a set of 48 Edelbrock heads would fit? I know the water necks are in different locations, but what else is different? And would they work?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, they bolt on, but there are a couple of water holes in the block that need to be plugged. I believe this is correct; I have not done it, but I have read about it dozens of times on the Fordbarn. Jump over there and do a search.

3. khead47

khead47

What Joel said.

4. Torchie

Torchie

When you lay the gasket for the 48 heads on the block you will see what needs to be plugged. Many threads on here as well as the Ford Barn. I believe that Vanpelts has a primer on this as well.
    Ford Barn post that has a link to the HAMB :)
    Torchie.
    http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2160&showall=1

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014

5. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

ok, so looks to be easy enough. I am watching a set of 49-53 heads as well so we will see which ones land in my price range. If they are over $400.00 Ill just get some new ones from Edelbrock. But I am cheap and if I can save $100-150 then I am all about that.

Also has anyone milled the fins off the aluminum heads? Does it affect the cooling at all?

6. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

Do yourself a favor and buy new ones. Why gamble on used that could be warped, corroded and have stripped spark plug holes.

Hitchhiker likes this.
  7. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

8. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

It used to be done quite a bit back in the day.... There was a number of race tracks that put "No finned heads" in the rule book, so racers would plane the fins off to get around the rule. I have a set of heads sitting on my shelf that had the fins planed off- can't comment much on effect to cooling though.

9. You can use the "early" heads on a late block,but why do you think Ford put the extra cooling holes in the late block? They put them in the late block because it helps to distribute the coolant overall better and also helps with the cooling of the block.In my opinion,you can use the early heads on the late block,but WHY not utilize the advantage of having a more uniform cooling process by "opening new" holes in the early heads to match the late block.The engine doesn't know if the water outlets exit the front or the middle of the heads,but you will benefit from taking the time to allow all the water flow possible; you cannot feed it too much water.

10. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Good advice from all of the above. I just like the looks of the early, center outlet heads on a flathead and would do whatever is necessary to have them on any later flathead I might build. Since a 300 hp flathead is as rare as a Dodo bird screw the few horsepower you would loose with the different coolant flow and go for the look.

Frank

11. Slopok

Slopok

The fins help to dissipate the heat.

12. 41fastback

41fastback

On my 1CM I had to plug a hole on each side. The holes were too big for 1/8" pipe. Went to a bigger size. Used the early head gaskets. No cooling problem. Also liked the looks of the early heads. Went with the crab distr. too.

13. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

may have clearance problems with a blower or some carb setups with early head water outlets.

14. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Well the heads went for more than I can buy New ones for. So looks like Ill be going that route. Unless someone has a set of Aluminum 49-53 heads for $250.00-$300.00 laying around? If the need to be fixed no issues I have a full machine shop and can plane heads or mill anything if needed.

15. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

I actually like the early look: Center water necks and crab distributor. I don't have any clearance issues with two 48's and a late model manifold.

Attached Files:

16. I'd go with new ones - with the longer reach spark plug threads. The 'modern' aluminum tends to be better, you won't have to rework them, etc.. Pay attention to compression ratios as well - as you'll have options with the new heads.