Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Plymouth flathead in Ford hotrod?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dumprat, Nov 30, 2014.

1. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I did tons of searching and found no info. Has anybody tried fitting a short six into and 28-34 Ford engine bay?

Please spare me the opinions as to why not to do this. I like flat sixes.

Maverick Daddy likes this.
  2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ford had fladhead-sixes, too, ya' know.

3. Rusty Karz

Rusty Karz

Sounds interesting. You will probably have the only one at any event you go to. I will be watching this thread.

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  4. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

There was a video of one floating around. I thought it was here but I can't find it. The guy is in Europe someplace maybe Germany????

5. manyolcars

manyolcars

if its a Ford with a plymouth flathead, its not a traditional hotrod and thats not an opinion, thats a Fact

LOU WELLS and X38 like this.
  6. swapping motors and building what you have is as traditional as it gets, thats not an opinion, thats a Fact.
    You have been here long enough to know this isn't a restore site, its a hot rod site, thats a Fact as well.

marioD, LOU WELLS, Boolajosh and 11 others like this.
  7. ......along with several thousand other "non traditional" hotrods which are always showing up here.....

volvobrynk and Gary Reynolds like this.
  8. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Gees, one time I saw a Model A with an Essex engine in it, the guy did it in early 30's...Still had it in 2010, wood engine mounts and all...I asked why, the guy said more power,he could afford the cost, he could do it, he needed a driver..Works for me..

volvobrynk, Saxman and Gary Reynolds like this.
  9. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

It's not to traditional to install a less powerful engine. And that is how the Plymouth will be looked at. I just don't see it.

X38 likes this.
  10. Rusty Karz

Rusty Karz

A Model A is about 40 Horse power. Those little Plymouth sixes are around 100 Horse power. That is a significant improvement.

marioD, Drunk Man, wojojo and 3 others like this.
  11. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

That sounds like hot rodding!
    Keeping the Ford purists happy ain't!

12. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Those are cool dependable little motors.. I can't help with fitment but sounds pretty cool to me...

volvobrynk and Gary Reynolds like this.
  13. Sounds good to me! There have always been non Ford motors put in Fords,there was a conformist herd then, there is now.
    As was said above, using what you have is totally traditional, disregard the "Flathead" is Holy guys.DO WHAT YOU WANT! THAT is hot roddings at it's best, non conformist, no rules!!
    If people thought in the past like they do now, we wouldn't have any hot rods!
    Hot rodding is, and always has been about breaking the freakin' rules!

volvobrynk, GeezersP15 and kiwijeff like this.
  14. This is beautiful, it would look great in a Ford! A stocker would look good!
    From a site called...the HAMB.[​IMG]

15. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

That is a nice looking motor. I will skip the alternator as I have the rebuilt genny and two or three regulators.

The stock plymouth P4 engine is 82HP and 140ftlbs. With some work getting it well over a hundred horses and near 200ftlbs should be very do able. And fun.

I had a 251 flat six in a 54 M37 that would do over 60MPH on 38" tires. All the experts said that wasn't possible either.

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

He said 28-34. I am thinking more of the 32-34 part of that than the 28-31. I still think it's not worth the effort unless the OP has a Ply he really loves. I had a GMC in a 32 Ford. That was a worthwhile swap IMHO. Had a 32 Plymouth flathead four in a '29 Ford. That was OK. I like the larger MoPar sixes. Not so much the smaller. But he really doesn't want opinions, so I should have just left it alone. Sorry.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  17. Hey Dumprat.
    I like your idea! And that's a fact.
    Lets see pics as you get started...

Maverick Daddy and Gary Reynolds like this.
  18. Those old flathead sixes look great with finned heads, and dressed up.

Maverick Daddy and Gary Reynolds like this.
  19. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Contact member Moose. He has a dual carved Mopar flathead 6 in an A 2dr sedan.
    I had a ride in a 30 A coupster with a Desoto 6 with a gm 350 auto in it that went like stink and sounded cool through dual megaphones. Traditional who knows. Fun? You bet.

CrazyUncleHarry likes this.
  20. Majo

Majo

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  21. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

22. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Nice! Kind of a lack luster burn out though...
    Hard to see in the vids how the engine fits. Didn't notice a firewall cutout like with a Chevy six.

23. Yea but what does dumprat have? :D :D

Haven't done it but I remember seeing one of about everything in my time. No reason not to do it if that's what floats your boat. I think that any time you throw an inline anything in an early '30s ford you run into length problems but I am sure that you have already run a tape on it or are prepared to stretch the frame. Correct?

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

The fact that this combination is already stirring up controversy is good enough reason to do it.
    If the OP wanted a mediocre ride that nobody would give a 2nd glance at he could build a glass '32 with a 350/350 combo with billet crap all over it.

25. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

I'm just thinkin out loud here, but aint the idea of Hot Rodding(trad or otherwise) taking a vehicle, and making it fit the owners/builders needs? If he wants a plymouth in a ford , go for it. Waaayyy cooler than a small block Chevy any day. can't wait to see it.

26. Curious if you have much experience with the Ply/Dodge sixes...I've messed around with them a little; good little engines but not exactly what I'd consider 'prime' hot rod material, unless you're willing to do some work. Improving oil flow to the rods will be critical, as that's the weak link to this engine family. They're also notorious for busting piston ring lands, so higher quality pistons - perhaps with 3 rings rather than ma MoPar's 4 - might be a worthwhile upgrade.

27. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

What I have is the complete rebuilt drivetrain out of a 37 plymouth P4 sedan. Fan to ebrake and cross members front and rear. Master cylinder and pedals. The engine is out of a restored P4 that the owner resto rodded with a 318/727 combo.

I also have a 54 230. An offy intake and some other non trad junk like a Stewart Warner gauge panel,35 wires,bell wheel,early smiths gauges etc.

28. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

And yes I have some experience with mopar sixes. See post #15

29. Well I'll give you way cooler because you think so and cool is in the eye of the beholder. But it won't be nearly as fast. :D

Dumprat,
    I like your manner of thinking as far as a different rod and it could be fun.

Mr White is correct about the weaknesses of the engines and would be a good person to pay head to when making your decision.

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. Cool. I read it...didn't see anything about having experience building them or correcting known issues. Not trying to be critical, my old '50 Plymouth was an extremely fun car and had decent 'pep', just wanted to make sure you were aware of the weak points; IIRC, the big (Chrysler/DeSoto) sixes you mentioned in that post don't seem to have the rod oiling issues that the smaller ones do.

Hudsonator is pretty well-versed on these little motors; you may want to look him up...I believe he ran one in a tractor puller with some impressive results.