Register now to get rid of these ads!

1926 Morton & Brett OHV Head for 1926 Dodge engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zenndog, Mar 18, 2012.

1. I am so lost, it's unbelievably silly. That is some tricks in a bag there. Must be fast for Rich Fox to hedge the work into it....I definitely enjoy his speed tech posts. Definitely always behind a bad ass car. This is way cool. Good luck!

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

"On another note, Rich, have you ever considered using a late model something-or-other DOHC, (Ardemia style)"--------------------------- One thing I thought about was alignment of the cam bearings with the 1.400 inch spread would be a chore. And i would need billett cams. I have run the car with both OHV and flathead Plymouth fours and also with a Lotus 907 DOHC 4 valve motor. When I had the Ply with the Y block Ford head in it, I looked at the Lotus head and thought it could be made to work. The Plymouth was much shorter than the Dodge Bros. and the head wouldn't need to be stretched. But I sold the 907 and never gave it much thought after that.

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Oh yeah. On the more head bolt deal, I ran two head bolts into the deck on the Plymouth deal. Didn't work. They pulled out along with some of the deck after a few runs. Putting head bolts where there are no bosses cast in for them didn't work for me. I think the Montana Dodge Boys have added a couple of extra head bolts on the corners by welding on ears to bolt to. But they have a blown flathead and have found they needed them. We need to get this thing running before we find out the weak points.

4. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Rich;
    Thanks for the replies.
    Makes sense on the headbolts, although I would've thought the decks were thick enough to handle that. Too bad. I hope the mill does well for you.
    I was somehow envisioning the next step would be a homemade creation of a dohc, something like the Fronty AF16 DOHC for the Fast4. :D . Using newest technology for heads/ports/piston shape, & a 'shortcut' of using some DOHC, cut in two to stretch it into 1 longer, or maybe 2 short separate pieces for the head, doing the cam like in the 'ford 300cid dohc' thread. I've liked following threads n comments by you on your oddball stuff - hey, that's a compliment! :D - the adaptation(s) & methods are interesting, thanks for sharing. I know it takes an immense amount of time, work & coin. I do like seeing vintage mills, esp uncommon ones, modded w/homemade-style heads n stuff, being used like they should be.
    Too bad Pete Ardemias' stuff got caught in the fire, & while I'm guessing his adaptations wouldn't be welcome here - & that's really a shame, considering the mans' talent, + skills he could showcase, could be applied to a lot of other (read: early) stuff. I haven't heard of him lately, hope he's ok.
    Marcus...

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

And this is the head with the intake extension bolted on, faced off flush with the deck and drilled for head bolts. Looks like plenty of purchase for the injector studs. I'm going to get rewired soon so the progress will have to stop for a month or so.

Attached Files:

6. CGkidd

CGkidd

Wow. all I can say is how cool.

7. noboD

noboD

This doesn't sound real good? You have a lot of work to do. We will be waiting for you to finish this. Good luck.

8. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

*You're* going to get rewired? If you mean that literally, I hope things work out well for you.
    Hope nothing major.
    Marcus..

9. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

pacemaker. I'm running at about half speed right now and we all think it would be better if I went back to 60 bpm. at least.

10. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Rich, I am sure you will get back to speed---Keep the pace! Gary;)

11. Hmmm, what if you switch from 6V to 12V?

Hope you feel better soon, Rich!

12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I went in for a pre-op meeting today. After checking in with the receptionist I sat down to wait, and noticed an aluminum chip laying on their carpet. About 3/8 X 1/4. 6061 I bet. Guess it was stuck to my boot sole. Hope they like it.

loudbang likes this.
  13. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

My granddad used to say " Do a good job, and let the chips fall where they may!"
    I'll be praying for you & God bless.

14. Babyearl

Babyearl

Rich,, I too will be praying for you, keep us posted on your progress on the engine and your re-wire God's Speed.

15. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Thank you for your kind words. i am sure there people more deserving and needful of your prayers. Pacemaker shouldn't be a big deal. They did tell me they couldn't get an anesthesiologist on Wednesday. I told them I really wanted anesthetic. So we mover it up to Monday. Home on Tuesday.

16. loudbang

loudbang

My sister has been on a transplant list for like 40 years, hers isn't too bad so she keeps getting bumped down the list by people that have worse problems. She has had a pacemaker for that time and they work great, without one she could only sit around all day. They have improved a whole bunch and putting them in has become almost routine now.

Be sure to ask your doc about using any electric welders as they MAY cause problems with your pacemaker..

17. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

Guys as always great work been following Rich for years now and always learn from his post

18. zenndog

zenndog
    from Santa Cruz

Rich finished the special washers for the intake during the week.

Today we worked on the intake spacer.

We rounded some of the edges to make it look racey.

Then we set the valve cover on the head and made some measurements for a notch we need to put in the spacer for clearance when the cover is in place

I am a little disappointed with the pics I took but oh well

[​IMG]

We ended up cutting one of the valve covers to make sure it was sitting flat

[​IMG]

Here is the spacer with the notch cut

[​IMG]

Of course we realized that we have the wrong valve cover at the end of the day but....Rich thinks we can make it work and I concur.

Lots of details to work out as we continue

Rich wants to weld up the back of these slots and have the head resurfaced. If you look close you can see the water jacket peaking through.

[​IMG]

Have a good week

I'm not PC, I'm greasy.

loudbang likes this.
  19. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

Great work as always
    looking forward to the next post

20. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I was messing with linkage today. Always a pain. linkage.jpg 001.JPG

turboroadster and bct like this.
  21. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Rich;
    Looks like the mechanical linkage works well enough for you. But, something else to consider might be motorcycle-style single-to-dual cable, using the wheels for attachment points, & adjustment(s), too. This thread may give you some ideas - it's slicker than greased snot on a STP coated glass doorknob: (hater-types that can't conceive of good ideas showing up from this source - beware!) http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=420589 . (This guy has solved a major problem these guys have had since dual carbs have been run on these small mills). Seriously good work.
    Hope your mill kicks hinney & you get class record. :) .
    Marcus...

22. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

As always love your work Rich
    looks like the hard stuff is done and it is down to the fiddly stuff
    good luck hope you have it running soon

23. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The cables look pretty slick. I'll keep it in mind. What I like about the pictured setup is I have done several of them and it always worked fine. And it's all made here except for the rod ends. Which means it's cheap.

24. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Rich;
    The link was to avoid a 100k word (attempted) explanation. A lot could be duplicated w/motorcycle parts, hence my comments. If you don't have issues w/losing sync, or tune, or it isn't too bad to set-up, then it might not be worth the effort, & it'd be somewhat pointless. Parts shouldn't be expensive, either from a bike-yard, c/c, or e/b. FWIW. Still, the guys' fab/design is just about perfection.
    Marcus...

25. 23crate

23crate
    from nz

ok this is very intriguing,.. im eager to see what this engine does.... originally around 212 cubes? .. should haul ... im thinking...

I know a guy who looked at Subaru heads on a model B .. didn't ever find out if he got it running but saw it complete ...

these old motors have some super cool even with late model hop gear ....

keep it up looking forward to the next instalment..

26. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Wizard; You have to think about the intended purpose of the linkage. To sync them I back off the idle speed screw, loosen the arms on the throttle bodies, hold the butterflys closed, and tighten the arms on the throttle shafts. Then readjust the idle speed screw. It's fuel injection on a Bonneville car. As long as it will start, idle and run at WOT it's doing all it can do. As I said I have had experience with this kind of linkage and find it to be sound. I'll always go with something I have done before over something I read about. If for some reason I am not happy with how this works out, I will take another look at your link. But it always worked before and I expect it to work again.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  27. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, Rich;
    Only reason I posted link was 'cause you seemed kinda unhappy w/the one you had. But your linkage does look about as simple & effective as can be done. It looks like it's near bulletproof. Was just trying to be helpful w/another possibility, if needed. Awaiting further updates on old-motor-trickery... :D .
    Marcus...

28. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

OK linkage adjusted fine now. Everything works. Thought it was time to drill and tap the injectors for fuel nozzles. At least i didn't start any Magnesium fires. Saw a guy do that once on a drill press. Kind of awkward DSCN0085.JPG .

29. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I started a magnesium fire on my mill once. It wasn't awkward it was ugly.

30. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Zenon decided a stock valve cover was better. And he was right. So he cut two of them in half and welded them together to make one stretched cover.

Attached Files: