Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Legendary Dale Armstrong R.I.P., storied driver, builder, innovator and tuner 1941-November 28, 2014

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rodster, Nov 28, 2014.

1. rodster

rodster
    Member Emeritus

image.jpg

We lost a great man and pal, legendary driver, engine man and crew chief, Dale Armstrong today. Dale was a close friend. I was honored that he would tinker with my hot rods. He went through the mechanicals on the Cobbs Roadster a few years back. Awestruck, he never tired of studying and talking about Tom Cobbs' many innovations. Dale was an engine guy's engine guy, having virtually single-handedly pushed AA Fuel engines from 1,500 to over an unimaginable 7,000 horse power. He crew-chiefed Kenny Bernstein's all time first 300+ MPH 1/4 mile run.

His last project was building an exotic blown flathead Merc for my latest three-window car. About 10 days ago Don the Snake and I were with Dale in his home shop to hear him start the rowdy flaty. He cracked a giant smile at the first rumble. Don and I were both at his side with his remarkable wife, Susie, on Wednesday. He's finally resting!

There is a super piece with some wonderful pictures from Dale's career at NHRA.com

Here's some shots from the start-up.
    image.jpg image.jpg

kiwijeff and HEMI32 like this.
  2. aircap

aircap

He was the best!

3. Fly'n Kolors

Fly'n Kolors

4. R.I.P. Dale. I saw Dale finish in the winner's circle more times than not at every track in southern california during his exploits in AA/A. His incredible engineering and tuning abilities catapulted him to the top of the mountain in AA/FC and T/F racing. "He will be missed" barely scratches the surface.

5. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

I will miss him a lot, especially his comments

6. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

As a driver, Dale was certainly impressive to watch. I don't think anyone could back-up faster, after a burnout than him. Dick Crawford at Donovan Engineering told me, that on Monday mornings after a race, Dale would be waiting at the door to improve on his latest innovations. He was a special breed, RIP Dale.

7. Cword

Cword

From my garage wall
    Armstrong_Canuck001.jpg

8. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, sorry to hear that. Thanks for all of the innovation Dale.

9. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Always tough to learn when a fantastic racer and great all-around guy has passed on too early. RIP, Dale. Gary

10. Andamo

Andamo

I talked with him at Maple Grove in '84 or '85 at the SS/DI meet. He was the crew chief on the Kenny Bernstein ''Batmobile'' Buick funny car. He seemed that even if there were fires and explosions going off around him, he'd just tend to his business and work things out. May you rest in peace Dale my condolences go out to your family.

11. Deuces

Deuces

Rest in peace Dale...
    You will be missed... :(

12. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

13. I read an interview with him on another forum.
    Dale was an innovative guy, who certainty changed the course of drag racing more than once.
    Although I never knew him, I offer my condolences to those who did.
    Rest In Peace, AA/Dale.

14. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very sad news. RIP!

15. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Spoke to several people yesterday about Dale, a couple who just went to Dales to get a small piece of steel I needed, are really feeling low, on a bummer

16. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Dale's wifes "Celebration of Life" was great. For a great guy