Register now to get rid of these ads!

gmc 637 10.4L v8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1950coronet600hp, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Jaden1

Jaden1

I know that this is an old thread, but I was wondering what vehicles and years did the GMC 637 V8 come in? I have located a block, but it is lacking everything else.

Even better would be finding one that is for sale. At the least the heads, crank and block are needed, everything else can be made or modified from something else.

2. Hey now I got 3 boat tanks. :D

3. squirrel

squirrel

Apparently in some Crown school buses.

60F250 likes this.
  4. onefaststude

onefaststude

Well here is my two bits worth.
    Fifteen years ago I built a 53 Studebaker to race at Bonneville with a 435 (394 based on a 303) cu. in. stroker Early Olds motor in it.
    Why, because I knew I didn't have the money to compete with the monied guy's and their Big Block Chevy (etal) motors, so why not have fun.?
    I had to modify many parts (from rocker arms, to timing gears, to roller lifters, to main bearings) to make it work but eventualy ran 219 on methanol. I ran that motor (designed in 1946 and released in 1949) for nine years on the salt and it took me eight years to figure out a problem with the bearing oiling, but once I figured that out, I plan on running it again as soon as I hit my goal with a newer BBC.
    I also own a 1947 Flxable 27 passenger bus (that came with a backwards mounted Buick straight eight) that now has a GMC Toroflow eight cylinder 4 stroke naturally aspirated direct port injected Diesel engine coupled to the original Clark 5 speed non syncro trany and two speed rear end. The previous owner who had converted the bus to a motor home and had replaced a existing 460 BBF with the toroflow told me that when towing a Jeep Wagoneer behind it he was never passed by another motor home while pulling a steep grade.
    While it is awaiting restoration in my back yard, I occasionly start it up and the sound of a four stroke diesel is ORGASMIC !!!!
    I hope to someday score a contract with the County to erradicate Mosquitoes as this sucker billows smoke like you might remember from that old Dennis Weaver movie when he was being chased by a early Sixties Semi.
    Bottom line: only true hands on racers or mechanics have the balls to build and run something that takes a little inginuity to make happen.
    I salute you and am happy to say, "screw every one else AND THEIR OPPINIONS".
    Bob Drury
    Old Stud Racing
    1953 Studebaker Land Speed Racer
    219 mph Early Olds powered
    Currently the World's Fastest UnBlown
    1953 Studebaker (239 mph, Injected BBC)
    running on straight methanol and this year
    25% Nitromethane (kaboom!!!)
    P.S. If you want to run with the Big Dogs, you better have Big Balls............

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
    redo32 likes this.
  5. onefaststude

onefaststude

As a side note, several years ago a machinist freind of mine rebult a V8 toroflow out of a large industrial forklift.
    He and the Millright who brought it in looked at the balance shaft (similar to the late 90's and up S10 Vortec V6 engines, but in a different location) and decided their was no reason for it to be there.
    After the fresh engine was reinstalled and running in the forklift, the millright brought the engine back a couple of days later and said that the forklift driver had to climb off after a couple of hours because his ass was numb from the vibration!

6. I have one too, but I wouldn't use it for more than test running a motor in the shop, if I'm going to drive it on the road I'll put a new fuel pump on the damn vehicle and do it right - I don't want to drive around in something so dumb even the rat rod crowd thinks it's a bad idea. Or worse yet, the new trend.

Boy, this thread's still getting wildly off subject posts when somebody revives it a zillion years later. What's a 303 Olds powered salt flat car have to do with a huge gas V8 semi truck and school bus engine?

Which, incidentally, is where the GMC 637 is going to be found - big, big trucks and busses, from '66 to probably around '78 anyways. (last year for the 305 is about '78).

7. onefaststude

onefaststude

Nasty, the point I was trying to make was not meant to be about blowing my own horn, but rather to salute those folks who want to build a "boat anchor" just to hear it run and smile even if the thing is a "cash toilet".
    In my case, I built the Old's motor with a lot of trial and error and cash outlay, knowing from the getgo that I had to run against brand new motors of the same size and didn't have a chance in hell of setting a record.
    I think this side of Hot Rodding is becoming a "Lost Art" and if I hijacked the thread, I apologize, but a friend of my recently purchased a Seagraves Fire Truck engine, and I can hardley wait to here it run! Bob

8. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

i'd love to have that mill. i'd build a tractor puller

it'd be good for a yard truck too ..

course... i would like to build a roadster around it.. with some TALL ass highway gears .

9. John T Conover

John T Conover
    from US

Attached Files:

10. Jaden1

Jaden1

Mr. Conover,

That Tilt Forward Fire Truck with the 637 is a Beautiful Sight. Is this a current project of yours or Something that is wanting a respectful new owner?

Either way, I love that Truck!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  11. Lots of people build early Olds motors; speed equipment exists for them; information is readily available. Hardly anybody even knows what a 637 is. You're comparing apples and oranges, is my point.

12. John T Conover

John T Conover
    from US

Just internet pictures.

13. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

id never heard of a 637 ,v8 but the pics of that cab over fire truck it look s like one big beast of a mill ,

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

That is some seriously funny shit right there. Almost spit coffee out of my nose.:D

15. mulisharider1313

mulisharider1313

does any one know what a 637ci 10.4L gas v8 goes for?

16. What's scrap bringing over the scale today? Divide by the pounds and weigh the motor. That.

17. handmedown40limited

handmedown40limited
    from tracy ca

retrofit with an old Detroit diesel. I'm sure a 6v71 or similar would fit, push it around with no problem. And be a hell of a lot easier to come by replacement parts. I know nothing about these big gas motors but if you got the whole rig at a descent price that would be my route. That. Or even a 6bt or the big brother 8.3 version found in semi trucks

18. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

great hotrod engine.. it's got all the low end to turn highway gears like dragcars turn dumptruck gears.. meaning smoky burnouts at 50mph with 2:10 gears.. the secret to getting speed from big slow turning engines is gearing. and getting parts is NOT that hard.. getting gaskets is harder.. but pistons and rods and such .. same as the V12 and V6's

19. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

6066gmcguy.com

you can get some info here.. don't scrap it.. that's the way of fuckers who use bellybutton 350's evean a poor man can be creative.. it takes a lazy fucker to make excuses.

20. ivans572

ivans572

Use 6.7" rods from the bbc and custom pistons and bearings from another application. You can grind and put material on the bearing surfaces as needed. But gaskets. And valvetrain stuff like the rockers lifters and pushrods if you want to make power. But with custom pistons and .030 over would be 644 and 10:1 compression is a giant gain over 7.5:1. I imagine it has to be a forged crank so its bulletproof. Balance it and it might rev. Cool motor it needs to be in a little bus thaf fries tire at 20 mph. And gas here in oregon is $1.65 a gallon.

21. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

That's a nice looking engine. Those exhaust manifolds !

22. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

This thread sucks

23. ivans572

ivans572

24. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I should not have read this thread as now I would like to find one.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  25. I'd like to find a boat tank to go on the roof of my 2CV now....

26. Don King

Don King

I have owned this 1967 GMC ladder truck for about 8 years. It has the 637 gas V-8 and runs good.
    Will be taking it to a benefit carnival this weekend. With me in it, 1/2 tank of gas and no water in the 500 gallon tank.
    It weighs 25,800 pounds.

Attached Files:

27. Don King

Don King

28. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Relatively short stroke at 3.870 but pistons must weight a ton...