Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Oldsmobile fender removal question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by C-10 CST, Nov 28, 2014.

1. C-10 CST

C-10 CST
    from Indy

I have a 1956 Oldsmobile 88 that I need to remove the front fenders to do some rust repair. My question is do I need to remove the front bumper to have access to any of the fender bolts? The rear bumper was a complete bitch to remove due to almost every bolt needing to be cut off with an cutting disk on a angle grander. I'll remove it if I have to but not looking forward to it.

2. If the bumper stays, look for a bracket on the corner of the fender that keeps it from flapping. Sure to be held on by "rust welded'' bolts & disintegrating clip nuts. I feel your pain..

3. oldolds

oldolds

You might not have to, but you will wish you did.

4. C-10 CST

C-10 CST
    from Indy

What does that mean? I thought it was a yes or no question.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014

5. I just took off both my front fenders...there are 2 bolts that are inside the car that you have to access by pulling that lower pannel made out of cardboard by your foot...they are the ones furthest by to the door area...one is up high and you really have to do some stretching to get to it... be warned there are 2 bolts up closer to the firewall those are for the hood adjustment..dont touch those... all the other fender bolts are outside just look you will see them...
    after you take all the screws and bolts out i found that by wiggling the area of the fender back by the door and pullin the fender out and forward mine came off

6. [
    Classic 1954 1955 1956 Oldsmobile 88 98 Starfire Rat & Hot Rods also go to this site there is about 250 of us olds people there too on facebook...ps heres a photo of my front clip all off my car...just did it last weekend..its the second one ive done..my 4 door car i did the same thing for cleaning and welding

Attached Files:

7. C-10 CST

C-10 CST
    from Indy

Thank you Cobalt333 that is just the type of first hand info I was looking for.

8. these are the two you dont want to mess with..unless you want to straighten out your hood placement...the are by the upper firewall

Attached Files:

9. like i say there are only 2 bolts inside that you unloosen and they hold the fender to the cab....i have pointed to the holes from the outside where they come through and grab the fender as you can see one is pretty hi up thats the one thats fun to get to...i used a socket wrench with a extender on it to reach it

10. ps this lower bolts from the outside are useally rusted good...on my first car a tryed to wrench them and broke all of them off...a pain....the next time i shot pb blaster spray on them and only broke 2 off...you really gotta soak them good i guess.... SAM_2332.JPG

11. PS.. im Shane have fun with your build

12. C-10 CST

C-10 CST
    from Indy

Thanks Shane for posting all the pictures, That is going to make the job much easier. I'm aware of how rusted and corroded those lower bolts are are due to the fact that the road dirt collects there and that's where they always rust out.
    Here is one more question for you. The previous owner pried off the stainless trim on the fender and left the long four bolt attachment clip. I think I can get the drivers side trim back in shape with a bit of work since the PO tortured it when he removed it but the passenger side is pretty sad. Would you know of anyone that would have one for sale?
    I've never done the facebook thing, in fact I've prided myself on the fact that I have never followed the rest of the sheep down that path. My brother-in-law jokes "Oh you're the ONE that's not on Facebook" Who knows, maybe this Oldsmobile group may just be the thing to push me over the edge.

13. i was the same way on this facebook thing...but i have to admit this one has tons of people with tons of advise right at the drop of a hat...i have posted some cars that have come up that are being parted out on that site a month ago and others post stuff when they see it or if they have items they have and are willing to part with... ps if you need me to take anymore pictures or have more question just let me know or ask on this site https://www.facebook.com/groups/54to56Olds/

14. Rckt98

Rckt98

I don't do facebook either so when I click on the link it is asking me to Register or Sign In.

15. ps on that facebook page we have people fron italy germany and all different parts of the world...some just had cars shipped from the usa to their home towns :)

16. C-10 CST

C-10 CST
    from Indy

Shane I have a question, the bottom bolt hole inside the car behind the kick panel, did you have a bolt there or a nut? Mine has a nut. When I started to back it off the bolt started to spin. I can't see a way to back it up with a wrench or socket.

17. yep the lower one is just a nut..the bolt is in the fender pionted in to the car (photo #1).. the top one though screws into the fender as seen in the second photo...the other show other attachment pionts outside

Attached Files:

18. i checked in the space behind the bolt and felt the bolt head and its round...not even a type you can get a socket on... im thinking its one of these...ya might have to pop it back in where it rests by hand or a pry bar

Attached Files: