Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The FRAETON - 29 phaeton project

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by PurdueSD, Sep 25, 2014.

1. pretty rad, looking for one myself

2. Thanks man! I hope to drive this thing all over the place next year!

Thanks guys, Bob and Jeff are nailing it!

3. Unfortunately the accessory trim rings and caps were only borrowed for mock up. Turns out both are pretty rare.

But, I got lucky and found these, they showed up to my door yesterday! NOS with original box and wrappers![​IMG]

4. Mark T

Mark T

Looking good Wes

5. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Love the Tubs! Great looking project. Jake would approve.

6. Getting there! Jeff cheesing about his handy work!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

patmanta likes this.
  7. Floors better then Mop-N-Glo......damn that's some fine tin work !!!! Woooooo-E

8. el Roach

el Roach
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great job. Gonna subscribe to this one!

9. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Thanks to Google, I now see what you mean! And I can totally agree!!
    :D :cool:

burtrido likes this.
  10. Fitting the dash without making an awkward filler wall has been a challenge but it's working out awesome! Bob decided the best thing was to section the strip below the windshield. It dropped the back down so the dash could attach to it and lowered the windshield an inch without chopping the frame. So we will end up chopping the posts 4 inches and the frame only 3.

Then The back edge of the strip was modified and rounded off to give a nice edge between the dash and the strip. Also making that strip removable from the side posts. It could now get chrome plated. Super subtle and Kinda almost unnoticeable but it cleaned up that area well and made the transition into the dash really natural. That piece will look really cool chromed along with the posts and frame.... Jeff then spent some time rounding the sides of the dash corners, and finishing it off.

(Pre chop)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DylanHill1931 and volvobrynk like this.
  11. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That dash looks right at home..!
    Killer work by Midwest all through!

Can't wait to see it done!

Aloha
    T

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. Thanks, me too!

13. PINEAPPLE

PINEAPPLE

Killer car! Subscribed.

14. RDP

RDP
    from Kansas

It looks great and will be a lot of fun to drive!
    That dash is awesome!

15. The model A phaeton's rear body tub is basically just unsupported sheet metal. Stiffing up the body and door jams, while providing some protection back there seemed like a pretty good idea. It should also provide some structure to mount the gas tank, which will be hidden behind the seat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I love this car. I've been sort of following it on Instagram and it's coming along great. I'll be watching how Bobby and the others will do the gas tank. I scored a '26-'27 Touring a while ago but wondered about how to mount the gas tank..

You should talk Bob into selling you those wheel covers.. They look pretty good on there!

17. Thanks man! Honestly the tank has been the biggest question mark from the very early stages. I think we've got it headed our direction now though!

Hah! Bob wouldnt share so we had to find another set. They aren't actually wheel covers... Look a little closer. We got pretty lucky to find sets of both!

18. Thanks guys!
    The dash is maybe my favorite part!

19. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I know what they are. They're like thick trim rings, but they don't completely cover the wheel. Does the cap hold them in place?

If they're technically not wheel covers, but they're too big to be trim rings, then what are they called..?

I had a set of Calnevars for '49 Ford 16" wheels (one year only) a while ago just like DreddyBear has on his coupe.. I have a mild case of seller's remorse over those. :(

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Supports:
    Nice work on the rear steel supports...(thanks for the engineering support!)
    The termites got my wood...So I think I'll copy that idea!

Gas Tank:
    My buddy just put a 3 foot moon tank behind the drivers seat in his 30 phaeton.
    Makes a nice foot rest!...Not that many options in a Tub!?
    That's my plan at the moment...maybe I'll change...?

Your Tub is coming along real nice Man!

Aloha
    Tommy

21. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

That is a fantastic lil car!

22. bct

bct

I have the touring tank problem too . I plan to have my kids in the back so I really need to think it thru.
    looking forward to seeing the solutions others come up with

23. .

I love the direction this is headed.

The dash looks awesome. I have the same dash in my '33 truck and love it.

Looking forward to updates on this build.

24. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

Glad you found some, I was about to say I have NOS sets of both if you needed some. Great car!

25. Took the whole family up to Milwaukee this weekend to check out the car and spend some time with Bob and Jeff. With the sectioning under the windshield we ended up with a 3" chop on the windshield and 4" chop on the posts. I think it's perfect for this car!

[​IMG]

Now time for some fun! I've been dreaming about a top and side curtains since the beginning the top irons/bows came in just in time. So, now we're playing with mock ups!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Room for all of us!
    [​IMG]

26. This is neat!

27. metal man

metal man

Your tub is looking fantastic, Purdue . I'm convinced that the original tank is the way to go on these cars. There just are not many options. I ended up using the original tank in mine, combined with another 10 gallon tank under the floor, surrounded by the '32 frame. They are both filled from the original gas cap. When just running around town, I usually only have fuel in the lower tank, which is very well protected.

Outback likes this.
  28. Thanks tommy and bct! We went behind the back seat. Seems like its gunna work out well.

Thanks guys, means a lot!

Metal man, thanks man! The original tank was considered but we chose to go a different direction. Needed the space under the dash for other stuff. And not much room left under the frame after brake/clutch and exhaust. We ended up behind the back seat. I think it's gunna work out Pretty well and end up protected reasonably well.