Register now to get rid of these ads!

Am I the only one that don't like the new format ?

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by langy, Jul 26, 2014.

1. I had a bunch of messages on my profile page,I just deleted them. HRP

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

This week, I'll figure out how to get rid of profile posts.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Just found this thread, And Steve trust me You are not alone, Here is My take on the new format, I think that it is probably Good for guys who might have taken a computer Class in school Or spends alot of time keeping up with the latest Software that is out there. But For most guys I know, hands on guys such as welders and mechanics (Not Technicians). It is one hell of a learning curve. And it makes it even worse when most of those type of guys don't give a rats ass about a computer in the first place. I myself am slowly getting it figured out (I think anyhow) but anytime someone brings up the New Hamb format In a conversation, I never hear anyone say anything good about it. I think Ryan and his team worked their asses off to launch this new format, and only time will tell if it was the right move or not. One thing I know for sure is Change is not always better. Anybody remember when The Coca-Cola Company Changed their recipe, And Called it "New Coke"? It tasted like shit and Nobody liked it So after getting many complaints and people changing to Pepsi, They went back to the Original Recipe and called it Coca Cola Classic, and dropped that "New coke" shit. Either way I will support the Hamb always, But I did like the old Format better....Just my 2 cents

norms30a likes this.
  4. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

First off, I usually look at this thread on a moble device. Went to respond on the laptop and had a hell of time finding this thread. There is a certain irony in that Ryan insists on all posts meeting his definition of "traditional", yet he keeps tweeking the HAMB to the point that it is difficult to use as well as offering features that are useless in my mind.

I've been using computers since 1980 for business. Custom software was written in DOS. As far as I was concerned, they were electronic cash registers that got the job done. In looking back, that program provided all the customer info, created a list of customers and maintained an inventory control. There's not a damn thing that I could've added to the program that would have improved it in 2014. All of these HAMB improvements remind me of a great '32 coupe that has been embellished with fox tails, led lights under the running boards and jeweled mud flaps. In other words, IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!

wbrw32 likes this.
  5. I know this is The hamb and we like old shit....but let's get real here for a minute....

Some of you sound like the die hard carburetor guys, when electronic fuel injection came out.

Yes, there are bugs, and things we don't like, but You just dont seem to realize....This is the future, it's here to stay.

What was Ryan supposed to do? Sit and wait for a old software system to become even more outdated, waiting till the very last minute to make the change? Seems better to just get it over with and work out the bugs now, rather than put off the inevitable.

Do you guys really expect to be using the same old software 5, 10 or 20 years from now? That's pretty foolish and short sighted if you ask me. As systems progress, you have to upgrade. Fact of life.

K13 likes this.
  6. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

My old Carburetor Powered V8 Still takes me where I want to go.....Just saying!
    So Going by your fact of life, when the Ol lady starts getting wrinkled and starts saging, I guess I have to Upgrade...LOL..... I don't Know how she is going to react to this news when I tell her....will you please tell her for me?? As she still hits pretty hard!!.... LMFAO

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  7. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Hitchhiker.....having put a Mooneyes EFI on my '31 A engine six years ago, I don't fit your image of those of us that like simple. Complex, whiz bang features aren't necessarily better ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1415669909.242107.jpg

8. Analogies never go well, one should avoid them at all cost as tools.

Analogys are like a rubber shafted screwdriver. Using one to drive a point home is similar to getting a wet noodle up a wild cats ass.

Hitchhiker likes this.
  9. I'll tell her for you...but you gotta be in the room and I'm just gonna be phoning that one in. LOL.

10. Sorry,maybe a better analogy is we were using a old tired model T to commute on the LA freeways....

You catch my drift?

Do you guys not realize that maybe it was not as much of a choice as it was a necessity?

THE TECHNOLOGY/SOFTWARE IS OUTDATED. IT HAD TO HAPPEN.

and all these things you don't like are something that comes with the new software, They aren't just easy to remove. And they certainly aren't something Ryan did to screw you guys or because it's new and flashy....

you guys are probably they same guys that were bitching when cable came out.... "what do I need more than 13 channels for?:confused:..."

Anyways, I'm out of here. It's a waste of time. I'm sad to see old members not coming around any more. But Life and The HAMB move on. I wish none of you any ill will. I just think your energy would be better spent making this place better vs. just tearing it apart.

11. Scumdog

Scumdog

Well I have EVENTUALLY got my head around most of the new format, it's not so bad.
    I guess the old set-up was antiquated - but it was simpler for me to bumble around!

Having said that, how does one change ones password on this forum? - I haven't figured out how to do THAT!

12. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

It's all good!...Most of us will get it figured out someday, Whats bad is just about that time It will probably change again....LOL. The thing I hate most is when searching for a thread, If you do not know that exact name of the thread letter for letter including where the CAPS are, Gezz, You get shit from way back and in some random orders. So really IMO the search feature is just about pointless, As you have to look through a bunch of other stuff anyhow to find what you want. Unless I am just doing something wrong, which is very possible,

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't like people, or things.

14. nhmikel

nhmikel
    from NH

Most of us here favor the older cars not the new ones. Same goes for this site now.

Maverick Daddy likes this.
  15. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

If you don't like the site - I guess the site isn't for you.

16. silent rick

silent rick

i guess i lot of people feel the same way. some people left before the change. i know alot of people have left or just stop by to read the classifieds.

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Change sucks! Put Matlock back on!

Hitchhiker likes this.
  18. -Brent-

-Brent-

I've read this thread a few times but was hesitant to post. I knew any discomfort and annoyance was due to my lack of knowledge.

At the end of the day, what brought me back to checking in on things was the people. I found myself wondering about certain builds and developments of threads I had enjoyed.

My only gripe is what happened to the local Utah social group/forum. That lapse of time in which there wasn't any group ability decimated the group. Guys got fed up waiting, I guess. Now it's dead.

19. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

My questions are about a thread I started and what happened to the pics, and the current pics that show up on a pc do not show on phone app? Am I crazy?

20. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yes you are crazy.........

Just kidding - your App may not read certain apps from Snapfish, Shutterfly or Flicker as a example.

21. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I posted a photo of my A motor with EFI using the phone app. Did you not see that?

If you don't go first class, your heirs will!

22. I know no one likes analogies, but to me, its like this...... Ever go to an old barber shop? There were usually only 2 barbers, and services offered were shave or hair cut, but it had a feel to it, a sense of comradery. Then, someone drops in a "Supercuts". You have 100 better features, 15 stylists, services-a-plenty, in almost EVERY aspect it is far superior to the plain old barber shop. You still talk to the person cutting your hair, you still get a quality haircut, but that "feel" just isn't the same. It doesn't feel like home. To me, I guess, that's a way to describe it.

I've learned to use many of the features. I've got "used to" the cleaned up, modernized version, but that "feel" is lost.

I understand the reasoning behind the update, but many (including myself) miss the spinning barber pole. Many of the guys I know in real life have either quit coming here, or (again like myself) its no longer a daily have to do thing on my list. Then it multiplies because you and your buddies spend less time here, the mental addiction begins to fade.

I still check the classifieds, I even check the main page, but after a page or 2, I'm gone. Before, if I missed a few days (life happens) I would scroll as many pages as it took to "catch up" to where I left off. Doesn't mean it's not a WWW stop for me, it's just not as high a priority as it once was.

Supercuts will ALWAYS make more money than "Ted's Barber Shop", it will always have more features, more clients, more everything,,,,,, except that "feel".

norms30a and denis4x4 like this.
  23. fat141

fat141

Could not have said it better mate, feel just the same with Everything that you said.
    Sorry Ryan
    Cheers
    Rod

24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

No reason to apologize.... I love the new HAMB and the direction we are going. I'm having fun again...

I think people thought I was bullshitting when I said I didn't run the HAMB like a business. I wasn't.

bowie likes this.
  25. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't know why I keep getting sucked back to this thread? I guess it's because I can't believe anyone could bitch about the HAMB. Where in the world can you find anything to compare to it? Anyone who has left the building...THEIR LOSS(climbs down off soap box)....VIVA LA HAMB!!!!

26. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Glad I'm not the only one mate, as far as navigating the site I have no problem. I'm very computer savvy so no problem there.
    Where my concerns laid was finding threads that seemed tricky to get back to and the fact that a lot of people don't come here as often as they once did ?

27. poopeye

poopeye

Someone told me that the problem with all the new technology is that it is created by people that are genius's in their field. They can't understand how come WE can't figure out how to use their programs, that is they are designing programs that they understand easily, but we don't. It's like me trying to tell one of them how to fix a dent in their fender, and they look at me like I just flew in from Mars. Me, I don't care for the new forum look either. It was a lot more idiot friendly before. Sorry.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are probably right. What do we do? I am not being flippant. I have this problem at work periodically. Not me, but clients.

I cannot see it. I need others to help me with the user experience.

Perhaps that is what is needed here.

I don't know how to help. I put down the torches for being a Network Engineer, building enterprise-class cloud computing and storage systems.

The site looks good, and works well for me, but now you know my perspective.

29. poopeye

poopeye

I guess a solution would be that when something new is developed, find a few people that are computer idiots (like myself) and let them play around on it for awhile and get their opinions. Adjustments can be made from there. BTW, a friend of mine (a computer guy) told me that Microsoft is getting a lot of complaints on the useability of the new Windows format and they are making changes.

30. Ryan did just that. The new format was beta tested for months before it went live.

Regardless, hope everyone gas a happy Thanksgiving!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.