Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration When to take the first Long trip?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fender1325, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Fender1325

Fender1325

Debating whether or not to take the 50 cadillac for its first road trip or not. Carb has been rebuilt, brakes gone through, bearings greased, timing and dwell checked and adjusted, radiator cleaned, new trans fluid, new oil, new spark plugs and wires and points condenser, coil, cap, lights fixed etc.

Its still a rusty POS but Id love to show my parents during thanksgiving. (They live 3 hours down the interstate).

I ride around town alright so Im wondering how crazy would I be to take it? I know nobody can see the future but I just wanted to bounce the idea off you guys.

2. porky55

porky55

Never going to know if you don't take it. I might be weird, but I get a rush every time I leave planning to drive far. Never knowing what will happen. Always being spare parts and a gas can. Good luck

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Slopok

Slopok

Take 4 hours to get there and go for it.

4. squirrel

squirrel

Driving a few hours on a "new" car on a holiday sounds like a good plan...what could go wrong? :)

Seriously though, yeah, it should make it, and they'll get a kick out of it, and you'll have some good memories

5. 29tudor

29tudor

6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

My thought is when I hit the key and it starts I am ready to go anywhere.

7. maineguydan

maineguydan

My young friend I agree with the other guys on this subject. Your young put some tools in the trunk a gas can and enjoy your old car. I have had several old cars , I have 1951 Chevy coupe and there is nothing like firing the old girl up and cruising down the road. You will get a feeling of independence greater than you expected. Good luck have a good time.

bobwop likes this.
  8. maineguydan

maineguydan

My young friend I agree with the other guys on this subject. Your young put some tools in the trunk a gas can and enjoy your old car. I have had several old cars , I have 1951 Chevy coupe and there is nothing like firing the old girl up and cruising down the road. You will get a feeling of independence greater than you expected. Good luck have a good time.

9. maineguydan

maineguydan

10. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some of my most interesting and memorable experiences have been because of break downs on long road trips. Life's about the journey, not just the destination. Go for it !

need louvers ? likes this.
  11. b-bop

b-bop

Seriously? 3 hours is a long trip. Get out and drive man. A long trip is anything over 20 hours of driving. Take tools, fix it if it breaks.

saltflats likes this.
  12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Take it around the block, stop in your own driveway, check engine for leaks, look underneath, generally check things over. Drive 5 or 10 miles, stop for coffee, check it over again, meanwhile keeping an eye on temp, oil pressure, monitoring strange noises and smells.

Take it for a 25 to 50 mile drive. If everything checks out ok, you are ready to go see Granny for Thanksgiving.

Bring some tools, money, credit card, auto club card and cell phone just in case.

JohnnyPunchClock likes this.
  13. Three hours is a Sunday drive to get a burger man get in and have a good time .

14. studebaker46

studebaker46

oil press up temp down gas tank full take off have fun and happy thanksgiving tom

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As soon as it is off choke.

16. Fender1325

Fender1325

Thanks for all the support guys. A few things have to be tended to before I go if I take it. It has a very minor drip in the heater core so I might bypass that and reroute the hose off the water pump direct in to the engine (ran it that way for a little while before I replaced all the heater hose that runs to the middle of the undercarriage.). Also the speedometer bounces around like crazy. I think I'll disconnect it so it doesnt break at high speed. I have an app on my phone that tells me my speed. I'll find the right speed then just listen to the engine.

bobwop likes this.
  17. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

If it goes 3 miles it should go 30 miles, if it goes 30 it should go 300, if it goes 300 it should go 3000

Hitchhiker likes this.
  18. Ya left yet? Do it.

bobwop likes this.
  19. Awesome post. Reminds me of a similar post not too long ago. My favorite answer was to drive it around your block for three hours....lol....when the neighbors tell you it's time to go....you are ready !! Good luck, and happy holidays.

20. millersgarage

millersgarage

driving in slow and stop and go traffic is harder on the vehicle than open road even speeds. If you can trust it around town, get out and GO.

Hitchhiker likes this.
  21. 3 hour drive is no big deal,you will never enjoy the car if you are not adventitious.

I hope as I type this you are well on your way. HRP

22. If you really want the feel of the 50-60's...leave your cell phone home. LOL
    Not much different than buying a used daily driver...a few months back I bought an 05 ot with 72K miles...it took a couple of 6-7oo mile weekends to feel reasonably comfortable just hoping in and going.

23. slowforty

slowforty

If you drove 50 miles without a problem. You can drive a 150 miles.
    An AAA card and a cell phone are your best breakdown tools. Dont ask me how I know.

24. rsluggoboy

rsluggoboy
    from SALINAS CA

Go for it, Life is a thrill.

25. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I blew the engine in my '37 Chevy coupe in the back roads of Virginia, 15 or 20 years ago. No cell phones, no houses. Started walking and a church van full of kids stopped and offered a ride to the next town. Spent a half-hour or so listening to the kids sing the "100 Bottles of Beer on the Wall" song, over and over and over................
    Next day got it towed to White Post Restorations, where they graciously agreed to store it for me. I rented a car and went home, got my truck and the next weekend, drove down and towed it home. No big deal, but I'll always remember those kids and the fun they were having.

Bottom line is that, one way or another, you always get back home, resolve the problem and might even find the experience fun.......albeit later, much later sometimes.

26. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

You will put more miles on your car today than most people with old cars put on for an entire year.

27. "Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." Helen Keller

28. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Bouncy speedo probably the cable needs grease. Buy a tube of speedo cable grease at the auto parts store ($1.79 lifetime supply). Disconnect cable at the transmission, pull out inner, wipe off with rag, coat with grease and put it back. Don't grease the top 6" to 12" you don't want grease working its way into the speedo.

Inspect the speedo cable where it goes thru the car, if there are any sharp bends or kinks straighten them out, let the cable hang in smooth curves. If it is kinked too bad you will have to replace the cable.

29. Fender1325

Fender1325

Well....i failed big time. Sittin on i-85. I think i blew the tranny. Wreckers coming and im missing thanksgiving.

30. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL