Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What is the best creeper you've found?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockable, Nov 25, 2014.

1. I bought one of the Whiteside adjustable creepers while recuperating from back surgery. Problem is after rolling under the car/truck and raising it. It has to come up again to release the latch to lower it. Sometimes there just isn't enough room to go higher to release it. Then ya gotta "scrunch" down to gain enough clearance to lower the thing. I now use a "south Omaha creeper" ...cardboard.

2. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I have 2 old original "Jeepers Creepers" from way back and a newer HF 6 wheeler. I hate them all. Back to the old cardboard. Yeah, I'm over 65 so getting up is a biotch.

3. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Best creeper I had was in the parking lot of a Van Halen concert; Oh wait.. different creeper.

4. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

I have many a creeper still have most of them great for moving heavy things across the floor not much for my busted up body though. What I have found that works for me is this insulation board from any building supply house. Comes from 1/2 to 7/8 thick I use 1/2. Keeps you warm or cool and reflects light nicely only like $10.00 a sheet and lasts a long time. Wipes clean easily! I can get down but getting on and off a creeper anymore is like trying to balance ball bearings vertically!
    [​IMG]

5. Don West

Don West

I would like to build a power lift creeper that could be powered by a cordless drill to lift my decrepit ass up into a sitting position. with the arthritis in my back, knees and etc. it's getting very difficult to get up and down off the floor. I always think of this when I see commercials on tv for power lift chairs. I've tried drawing up a plan for one but haven't found an idea that seemed workable. anyone else have an idea for one?

Mr48chev likes this.
  6. I have a bone (creeper) that I modified by putting a piece of 1" square tubing cut 45 degrees on the ends so that it can bolt in on top where the wheels mount and I slide a piece of one of those pool noodles over it - makes a nice headrest.

7. slowmotion

slowmotion

You cardboard/carpet fans, go to Lowes and get yourself a sheet 1/2" (or thicker) foil sided cellulose insulation. ($10-$12 or so) I grabbed a scrap piece one day in the garage, just because it was handy. Most comfortable creeper ever!

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  8. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

I use a piece of cardboard a bit bigger than a creeper. At 70yo I am thinking of glueing some carpet on to that and keep it in the house where it is warm and only take it to the garage when I need it. I just have to talk to my wife about where to keep it in the house..................

9. I feel like a turtle on its back when ever I'm on a creeper, can't roll over and get off the damn thing!
    I also use the insulation board, (blue or pink, doesn't matter) The best part of it is the fact that if you are welding, BBs melt into it and don't get a chance to roll under you and burn you. It is also slightly soft so old bones don't get quite so sore

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  10. blue57ford

blue57ford

I've had good luck with my Cornwell Tools creeper. I've had it about two years. I work in a transmission shop so I'm on it everyday and I'm a 325 pound fatfuck. Its comfortable and has dealt with the punishment I've put it through.

11. banjorear

banjorear

Snap On makes a really nice creeper with adjustable head rest. Pricey, but worth it.

12. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Mu buddy Rick had some pretty good homegrown back in the 70's that was real creeper.

But seriously, I have a nice Jeeper Creeper that I have had for years. It sits in the barn, because I have been using the Plexiglas fascia from an old Pepsi machine. Slides easy and cleans well. Picked it up at a garage sale for two bucks. Danged handy.

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  13. willystruck

willystruck
    from Grove, Ok

Got a good one I bought many years ago from the MAC tool truck. However after messing up my knee a year or so ago, It' s damn hard to get off of that thing and get upright now a'days!

14. Marv64

Marv64

I agree with Rich. I am in the same shape with aching joints etc. You can always buy a pillow to use for naps while you are thinking. LOL

15. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

A few years ago I was sent a link from someone that showed a creeper that was battery powered that turned from a creeper to a chair and did other stuff but no longer have it saved

16. DB Cooper

DB Cooper
    from Oregon

Harbor Fright pack of 4 2'x2' foam pads. They have finger lock together ends so you can lock them together. Very nice to lay on and easy storage. A pack is around 7 bucks. I do alot of sanding and easy on the knees and laying on. Very durable and cheep.

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  17. Vonn Ditch

Vonn Ditch
    from LA

Elvira

18. Leakie

Leakie

Here is the one junkyardjeff was referring to.....

19. LMFAO

Danny, I still do that once in a while, I try to remember to tie my hair back but damn it hurts when I forget.

To the OP, look on the Summit site, there is a dog bone style of creeper that has an adjustable head rest.

20. Strip of fiberglass insulation with the paper batting side up. Gets nice and warm.

21. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Some great ideas here. I particularly like the foam pads and the foil lined insulation ones.

22. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

I am 6'-5" and over 350# so a creeper is out for me..
    For many years I used cardboard or a 1" thick piece of insulation.
    Now at (70) I don't crawl under cars any more than absolutely necessary, but have found that the commercial vinyl covered pads work very well. (unless welding)

23. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

24. Here's the best lookin creeper I have. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1417046767.624546.jpg

Dustin

wingnutz and saltflats like this.
  25. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a keeper. It's not low profile but if you have tall jack stands or are working under the fender wells, it's great and comfortable.

Attached Files:

26. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

in summer I use a frozen gallon jug of water for neck support. usually a empty antifreeze bottle. keeps you cool. I guess in winter if you have hot water in shop you could fill it up with hot water to help keep you warm. I have found that when I'm on creeper and have a pretty tight nut/bolt, when I put some torque on the bolt/.nut I go rolling away on the creeper. lol

27. After using my first creeper for 25+ years (the old wooden/jacked up casters)(and nostalgic-co workers laughed),I poped for the HF 20$ special....Ya - I splurged!...... I use it everyday AT WORK......No issues- rolls nice,and very accomidating....
    Gravity will let us get on it fairilly well, but getting up is everyone's problem!
    Just can't see blowing major coin for some S&^p O* piece.....
    For the $20- it's worth a shot.....The old school wooden relics are more than that! And yes,I do also have a piece of formica,and cardboard for quickies when i don't jack things up.....For home garage use,yes- get a good one,but shop first.......

28. weeniewawa

weeniewawa

I have always used cardboard too. when it gets dirty and oily, just toss it. if anyone has access to a California Highway Patrol Commercial officer, ask to look at his creeper.

they look custom made with 3"x 1/4" strap for cross supports bent to make it a lowrider and they use what look like 4" poly casters. made for use on asphalt or even dirt. it looks like the modify a standard wood and padded creeper.

29. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

I have 3... the two newest ones are nice and padded, but when I'm working on dirty rusty stuff or burning holes, that vinyl/padding is just a fire hazard. The one I end up using the most is similar to the old Red-Hed above that I picked up at auction for a $1, but much nastier looking. The top wheels have been replaced by solid double wheeled castors and that makes it much more predictable to steer around under a vehicle. I'm 56 and catching up to some of you guys, but getting off isn't an issue for me.... lol.... read into that what you will!

30. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Make your own

creeper.jpg