Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What is the best creeper you've found?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockable, Nov 25, 2014.

1. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm getting older and my neck hurts from lying on the creeper and having to lift it up to see. Does anyone make a good comfortable creeper with adjustable headrest that can be adjusted while you are lying on it? Better casters would be good, too.

The creeper I have was bought at a local auto parts store for cheap...and that's what I have. I'm ready to spend more if I can find one I think is worth the money.

Thanks?

2. Back in the mid 60's I had a accident with a creeper,,,I was in my teens and at that time and like most guys wore their hair a little long, I was changing the clutch in my Falcon.

I started to roll out from under the car and my hair got tangled up in one of the wheels,,hurt like a SOB and I had to get a buddy to take out his pocket knife and cut me loose....I honestly don't believe I've been on a creeper since.

As far as who makes a great creeper,I don't know...I just thought that I would interject a little humor. HRP

rockable likes this.
  3. Kreepster Deluxe -
    But I do like HRP's hair pulling devise..

rockable likes this.
  4. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. Or could you modify one to suit you?
    Get better wheels from hardware store and build adjustable headrest.
    Hot rod the one you have?

6. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I finally have a really nice creeper manufactured by Whiteside Mfg., Delaware OH. I bought it on E--y but they are available from Amazon, Walmart, etc. Low profile, well padded, 6 casters, V'd frame for more elbow room, and head rest adjustable while on the creeper.

7. Getting older and less agile; I have found it is hard to get on and off a creeper safely; much easier to just use a piece of cardboard on the floor.

metlmunchr and 38fordpickup like this.
  8. Xtrom

Xtrom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Forman, ND

I use a "Bone" and it's great. Big wheels roll over cracks, rocks, extension cords. Comfortable and nice and low to the ground. It is like a funnel however if you have fluids leaking or are torching something you're gonna feel it! They're about $120 but well worth it in my opinion. Tough as nails so long as you don't drive over them. Bolts in the wheels dont come loose like all the cheap ones and without the openings on the sides your shirt doesn't get caught in the wheels either.

9. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. prpmmp

prpmmp

I'm going to be a wise ass here!! 2 or 4 post lift!!! I'm 60 and a creeper will get me on the floor but after that I'm stuck!!!! Pete

34toddster likes this.
  11. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a lift but I don't use it much for building. When you have a car that is not capable of moving under its own power and no help to roll it out of one bay and int another, it's not very practical. I would have had my lift tied up for a long time with my Plymouth......

I still need a creeper and yes, I'm 60 and it's getting harder and harder to do but it helps me use muscles that don't get used ever day. I guess that's a good thing.

12. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have a Snap on 6 or 8 castor creeper that I have been using for over 10 years that handles the cracks well but does not have a adjustable headrest,I do have a new and still in the box creeper that has a adjustable headrest that I got shortly after the snap on creeper that will be coming out of the box soon and probably as soon as I get off the computer since I just remembered I have it. Took a break in typing and got it out of the basement and this one is folding so I will put it togather after I get back from Daytona,its not a expensive creeper as it was 19.97 from wally world but the adjustable headrest looks like it might be worth trying for awhile.

13. Many years ago this question was posed and a lot of guys liked a sheet of cardboard. I do too.
    Never been a creeper fan. Had one, used about twice.

14. Jibs

Jibs

I use cardboard or a piece of carpet, works for me.

15. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

So I have to ask because any creeper that I have been well roll over a cord or crack but will not roll back over it.
    So how do these work I have been eyeing one for some time now.
    I remember one that was called the human lift looked good but $$$

16. As stated above, best creeper I've ever had is on top of my spray booth for over 10 years now, use a 4 post lift now.

17. Buz

Buz

I am a fan of cardboard myself. I like the kind that is coated on one side with plastic. Makes it easy to slide on.

18. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

I have a really nice collection of broken creepers. I have smooth floors in my shop, but the casters don't hold up worth a crap. The last new on I bought, broke the board under the fancy black material in less then an hour, looked like it was that brittle cement board. I've replaced that with a 1" x 12" board. And I know what your thinking, I'm 100lbs under the max weight! Gene

19. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I do use my creeper to just sit on mostly but its much better then on the floor when under a car.

20. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

I've got a "Bone". :D Well, a "Bone" creeper anyway. Works well, but I'm not nearly as agile as I'd like to be anymore. Hard to get into it, or out of it. Now I prefer those interlocking rubber mats. Mine came from Wal-mart or Sam's club. Only about 1/2" thick, and inexpensive. Comfortable to lay on, and if they get too filthy, I just throw them in the trash.

21. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

I have one from harbor freight that is curved to fit your back and drops you as low as possible
    hf.jpg

22. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

23. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have three different creepers. But I always go back to an old piece of carpet on top of a piece of cardboard. No wheels to get stuck on anything. And warm on a concrete floor in the winter.

24. Markmonty

Markmonty
    from Gerorgia

I work on cars for a living and a creeper will never do it for me, too unstable and you lose clearance between yourself and the vehicle. I would rather lay down on cold concrete!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. stimpy

stimpy

I use a piece of of Hardboard with formica on one side ( I use white faced to reflect light ) and always have the formica side up so liquids clean up easier and the rough side grabs the ground so it don't slide . and you can slide in and out from under a car real easy ( sometimes too easy and come out the otherside ... ) I also have a piece of corrigated plastic cardboard they use for signs that works real good outside on the wet ground . , I bought a 4x8 sheet at a sign shop for several dollars ( had to explain what I was using it for as he wasn't going to sell it to me , he really liked the idea )

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

27. stimpy

stimpy

I have one of them too but my problem is if I am tired and go to work under the car I have wound up several hours later waking up staring at it going where am I ??

28. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

This.

29. evintho

evintho

Haven't used my creeper in years. A couple of pieces of thick carpet are the best creepers I've found! Much easier on my 60 year old back than cardboard or a hard plastic/wooden creeper plus nuts and bolts won't roll away and I don't have to worry about rolling over the trouble light cord with those sharp wheels!

30. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The carpet and cardboard does nothing for supporting my decrepit neck. Agree that these have there advantages, however.