Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "Hot Rods to Hell" Corvette build finale

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Utahvette, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Nice job. Chassis looks good.

2. I had a 62 I bought in 69, gave $1200 for it an drove it for a few years, this is a really cool built, thanks for sharing.

3. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Is it possible you could detail how you join two body segments together? Do you grind/taper the edges before fiberglassing? Your work is VERY nice and straightforward.

4. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Other than contending with the"Itchies" this is a neat thread/build.Keep the updates coming.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

5. Utahvette

Utahvette

There are two methods I like to use. One is the bonding strip method like the factory used in the original construction. The other is the method you mention ,taper grinding the two areas to be joined and laying resin soaked mat in the groove. That works well and has the advantage that you can grind it smooth after and finish it off if appearance is a consideration. But I really like the bonding strips because its fast ,strong and relatively clean. Often I get a situation where I cant clamp the parts in the position I need and I end up being the "Human Clamp", so faster setup time is a plus.

6. Utahvette

Utahvette

CIMG8047.JPG CIMG8048.JPG Normally I would attach the inner fenders to the firewall and then attach the nose with them in place but after test fitting the front it became obvious it just wasn't going to work that way. I couldn't force it far enough rearward to line up at the doors . So I went a different direction and bonded the inner fenders to the nose first . It was easier to work on this way too. I had the hood in position in order to confirm the hood sides were level with the fenders.

7. Utahvette

Utahvette

129.JPG 130.JPG It's On! The door gaps all look good and the hood fits great. All the little stress cracks are fixed. It's starting to look like a real car. Ready for Featherfill.

1927graham, beatnik and loudbang like this.
  8. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

This is looking great. From a pile of broken FRP to a Bad Ass Vette in the making.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Does that make it a fenix build? :D
    Becaused that could create the right name for this build.

Looking good!

10. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

She lives in France...Mimsey Farmer..So where is the original Vette???

11. Utahvette

Utahvette

CIMG8051.JPG CIMG8052.JPG CIMG8053.JPG While the body work cured for a few weeks I scored a pile of much needed parts. The guy had parted out several cars in the 70s and purchased a bunch of new trim . He was going to use it to restore some of his cars but time slipped away from him and now in his mid 70s he had still not gotten around to using any of this stuff. Fortunately for me he decided to liquidate some of his cache and I acquired a pile. Much of it sat on a dirt floor in a pole barn for 40 years. Its a little worse for wear but will clean up nicely. Many of the pot metal parts were getting pits and corrosion on them while still inside the wrappers. Once again, not good enough for a show car but good enough for me. If you can bring yourself to use less than perfect stuff you can save big money. Especially true with Corvette parts, restorers want the perfect pieces, so second rate (or 3rd rate) stuff is often very reasonable. After all ,who would put something less than perfect on their restored Corvette? Other than me.:)

AHotRod and 62hotcat like this.
  12. elgringo71

elgringo71

It's looking like a car now and its interesting to see the how you find the parts. I have a friend that used to buy these cars wrecked from the insurance companies in the 80s and he would sometimes use 2 or 3 cars to piece one back together.

13. Utahvette

Utahvette

The car has set a few weeks in the sun to cure the body work and now comes the hard part mentally for me . Up till now the body work has been pretty much by the book, as in, it could be put back to stock at this stage. Now comes the turning point . First , the rear fenders need to be radiused . As you can see in the comparison pics . The movie car wheelwells looked to be trimmed about 3 inches higher than stock. I thought long and hard about whether I should cut them or not , for about 5 seconds and then I butched em out! No turning back now. 1958corvette.jpg CIMG8095.JPG CIMG8101.JPG

hemi, volvobrynk and AHotRod like this.
  14. Hey, ya gotta be historically accurate!

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

Just keep in mind, that with all the hard work your going to have the coolest Vette on the planet.

16. AHotRod

AHotRod

The last time I was involved in cutting up a Vette was in 1977 .... it was a1960. So much fun following along ........... Please continue

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. Just got here, had a '62 in '70, only one I ever had, for about $650.
    In 1965 I passed on a 53, with no engine for $450!
    It strikes me that, in my area at least, stock Vets belonged to the "old guys"
    the ones with the mid-life crisis. Many if not most Vets 2-3-4 years old
    were modified in some way. There were at least 3, 58-62 cars
    that had straight axles by the early 60's. Several were beaters by the late 60's.
    Engine swaps were common. Nobody really wanted "stock" Vets, or most
    other cars for that matter. At the other end of the early Vet spectrum was
    the "race prepaired" style. High HP engine, big black wheels, roll bar. hood stripe etc.
    Like the big brake big gas tank cars.
    Just my $.02

Utahvette likes this.
  18. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

There is no reason to go in, If you are not going ALL in!
    I'm not at big fan of the front look of the car, but the radius cut is what that car needs.

Utahvette and loudbang like this.
  19. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

This kicks ass, coming from the owner of a modified 61 vette, I wish more people would "personalize" them

20. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1417110196.444156.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1417110208.494717.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

jadegrenade 51 likes this.
  21. Utahvette

Utahvette

All right , now for the most distinctive modification on the car . Removal of the lower front section of the nose. During the construction of this car over the last few months, I've had many visitors to my shop and after showing them pictures of the movie car and explaining that I'm building a replica, they without exception, would get this serious look on their faces and say "But you're not gonna cut the front off like that are you". Notice no question mark at the end of that sentence, Because It was more of an command than a question. My reply would be ,What's the point in making it "Sorta" like the movie car? Love it or hate it ,it's coming off. All or nothing Baby. 1.jpg 137.JPG

22. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

You have mad skills and it will be a great car, please don't go for that paper towel tube non-functional roll bar. That has no value at all other than for us to look at that girl standing.

23. Are you going to put a plate -tag up front with the same JTG 555 on it? That would be a cool touch!

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. Hey, it's not the car without the bar! ;)

Dave

Peanut 1959 and volvobrynk like this.
  25. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

Utahvette, this has always been my favorite Vette. I love it. I only wish the movie car had whitewall slicks. It won't make a difference how thick the roll bar is without any backbars. Build it just like your doing.
    Full on re-creation. Anyone have any idea as to the engine setup
    Hummm duel quad and a Joe Hunt?

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I don't like it with out the 'no chin' look, but I wouldent respect your build If it was "chin on".

Not the easyest to make happy, but yet so easy to pleace!

No reason to go in, If you don't go all in !
    Keep at it! :D

27. flynstone

flynstone

so jealous, keep it up

28. Utah, people ask me when I'm going to put the front bumper on my 57.
    The ones who ask will never get it. Another vote here for the roll bar, too

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. Look at it this way:
    You cut off the chin.
    That made your car possibly one of 2 in the world.
    Put the roll bar in and you will guarantee it
    will be one of 2!
    Does the original still exist even?
    Keep going.

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. I'm sure if (and you did) cut the nose down, you could probably figure out how to glue it back on.