Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Sun Tach Hookup

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by fins2nv, Nov 24, 2014.

1. fins2nv

fins2nv
    from Fargo, ND

I have a number of old tachometers that have been sitting on a shelf for years. I dusted off a Sun Super Tach II today and thought it would look cool in the Model A. After I shined it up and mounted it, I thought it would be even more cool if it worked. I got on the interweb and found a manual for the tach and the hookup appears easy: power, ground and a wire to the negative side of the coil. Now the question: I am running a stock system, six-volts, positive ground. Has anyone hooked up a tach on the old system? How should I go about it?

2. mj40's

mj40's

The old Sun tacks used a box to hook the tack to that was 6 volt friendly.

3. The "black box" also was cyl dedicated...4 cyl,6 cyl,8cyl all used different black boxes,,You will need one for a 4cyl,6 volt,,

4. fins2nv

fins2nv
    from Fargo, ND

Thanks guys.

5. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

The Super Tach II does not require the sender but it does require 12 volts. The earlier ones may be dedicated to 4, 6 or 8 cylinders and should be stamped as such on the back. Also should say 12V+ where the power lead hooks up. Newer ones should have a switch to change between 4,6, or 8 cyl but still require 12 volts. I have been looking for an old sun tack to use in my 409 powered 38 Chevy Coupe gasser so PM me if you would consider getting rid of it. I got stuff to trade too.