Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Plan as of now: 1953 Chevy

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by MississippSlim, Nov 22, 2014.

1. MississippSlim

MississippSlim

So here is Rizzo, the Rust Queen

I have been doing a whole lot of research (ok really just oogling cars I like and stealing ideas) and been trying to get some ideas for what I wanna do. I have pretty much decided that I want to stick to traditional "mild custom". She has already been somewhat dechromed so I am thinking shaving the handles and lowering her a lil bit. Then custom paint and interior. Mechanically, split exhaust and dual carb is probly as far as I will go. Love this car already! As does my lovely wife who is claiming it as her own! r1.jpg r2.jpg

2. MississippSlim

MississippSlim

Of course plans are always subject to change!

3. 'Mo

'Mo

Good car, good plan.
    These Chevy's make great looking mild customs, with just a few mods.
    The right tail lights alone can become a defining element.

The "Golden Galleon" (first version) comes to mind, with composite Buick/Desoto lights, and '55 Chevy bumper.
    To my eye, one of the best!

[​IMG]

MississippSlim likes this.
  4. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. Soundslikea great plan. I assume it has the original 235 engine. they are good dependable street drivers with the 235's. Wish I could send a pic of my engine but my car in my avitar is a couple hours away just finishing up a compolete redo in the engine compartment as well as some other mehanical changes. Will get some photo's real soon.
    It now has a 1957 235 chevy 6 bored 0.060 with a Clifford 264 grind cam, dual water heated Clifford intake with two 2 barrell Webber carbs & a set of the Clifford shorty tube headers. The dual Clifford intake is way oversize compared to original intake and I had to run the Clifford shorty headers for clearance as others like the Fenton headers would not clear intake. Also added some under hood chrome for a bit more dress up.
    The interior & exterior of the car is restored to original so the only time it is viewed as a street rod is with the hood open. I just picked up a complete new Vintage Air system to install soon.
    If you want to view some of these parts you can go to the websites for clifford at www.cliffordperformance.net for their stuff or for the Fenton intakes & headers look at www.patricksantiquecars.com or other engine goodies at www.langdonsstovebolt.com . These all have the good stuff. For general restoration parts to replace back original look at www.chevsofthe40s.com . They carry about any original replacement part up thru 1962. Some stuff is original & some are reppops but they have a great seletion.
    I have spent a bunch of cash with all of the above getting mine where I want it. They will all send you a catalog if you contact them.

Good luck, Jimmie

5. MississippSlim

MississippSlim

Thanks man! Yeah she has a 235 and a Powerglide. The engine is not original as it has a replacement 53 block and a 54 head. I work in the Gulf of Mexico two weeks at a time and I got to work on her for about a week before I had to come back to work. A couple days after I left all the parts I had ordered came in....figures! When I get back in I will be replacing brake parts, replacing gas tank, installing new carpet, rebuilding carb, replacing the sway bar end links, and a few dozen other things to get her in the weekend driver status. I am enjoying the hell out of all of it. This old iron makes sense to me unlike my 2002 Duramax!

6. You will be amazed how much the split exhaust wakes up a Chevy 6!
    That was the first mod I made to my 53.

7. I like your plan, I had the same one for my car!
    It now has a
    261 Chevy 6 bored .060 over
    Isky E-4 cam
    Vintage Edelbrock 2 x 1 bbl intake
    Fenton headers
    Late 50's Corvette floor shift 3 speed
    N.O.S Hurst shifter
    A 59 Chevy rear converted to leaf springs
    Now looking for Posi parts
    What happened to the plan?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  8. I would not touch the outside of the car. Well mybe some wheel covers. Looks plenty good.

9. cruisin54

cruisin54

Car looks good

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Please ditch the aluminum wheels early on!

11. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

Steel wheels, wide whites,caps, lake pipes, fender skirts, maybe bring the rear down a little, done.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. kennyg1931

kennyg1931

I used 2 inch lowering springs and 2 inch blocks on the rear of my 54 . Rides really good

13. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

"The Golden Galleon" side trim sure wakes it up.