Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 16 ga for sheet metal intake?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tlmartin84, Nov 24, 2014.

1. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

I have 3/8" flanges, I am curious if any of you have experience building your own intakes?

Is 16 ga. sufficient for 20 PSI?

It is a rather large intake, so I want to keep it light as possible.

2. Yep 16 gauge will work just fine. If you are creating long runners you may want to stiffen them with a cross kiss, or a rib. You can make a rib with 16gauge x 1/8 and weld it standing on edge or a piece of 1/8 to 3/16 brake line.

Make sense to you?

3. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

[​IMG]

Here is a mock up I had cut, I just wasn't sure how well it would up with S/C.....

I had Actually thought about adding some ribs....

4. You are actually going to want to stiffen your plenum, easy enough you can make some ribs under your carb that help direct the mix to the runners. make all of your welds corner to corner and not lapped welds, and cross kiss your plenum sides and top.

You're running 20 psi of boost?

5. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Use hot roll material, too much tension in the cold rolled and it will move around when welded

6. what are you using for a supercharger?

7. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

It will hold the pressure just fine (as long as the welds are solid), but like beaner alluded to, stiffen any long open sections up. You don't want the walls of the intake to pulsate each time the intake valve opens and create some weird harmonics.

300 Ford with a blower, looks like fun. Keep us posted.

8. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

Eaton M112.

I am hoping for 10-15 psi. As poorly as the 300 heads flow, it has the potential to spike...... I am not going to know until it is built and on a dyno.

This is O/T for this forum, but I have no choice but to run an electronically controlled wastegate to keep it from becoming a bomb.......

9. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

P and B, I am following on the dividers as I had planned to do that anyhow. It will also have some larger members on the bottom sheet of the plenum to support the S/C mounted on top. I am not 100% sure how you are directing me to weld in the crosskisses........

Any chance you can draw me a picture?

10. A cross kiss is not welded it. It is an X that is slightly bent into the sheet, probably between a 1 and 5 degrees of bend. Think about the old custom tailgates in a pickup truck, that were filled and then had an X that showed in the middle. it stiffens the metal and helps keep if from drumming on a larger sheet on the short run like you want to do it will just ad some stiffness to it.

11. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Spring loaded plates were used successfully for waste gates for 50 years before anyone thought of using electronics. If it's air worthy, it should be street worthy.

12. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

13. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

Fabber, can you point me in the direction of spring gates???

14. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Watching intensely. Love me those 300 inliners.

15. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc