Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods t-5 electric to mechanical speedometer conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ohiohotrods, Nov 23, 2014.

1. ohiohotrods

ohiohotrods

installed a t-5 behind a flathead in a 50 ford and was wondering how to convert the speedometer from electric back to mechanical if at all possible. ive been told there is like a $150..00 kit but cant find any info. all help appreciated

ls1yj likes this.
  2. Pinstripe_Chuck

Pinstripe_Chuck

Im pretty sure you can get a tailhousing from an earlier t5 with a mechanical speedo and it will bolt up to your trans case.

3. 61falcon

61falcon

ls1yj likes this.
  4. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

There is someone here on the hamb that converts a tail shaft that uses 350 turbo cable hook up. I do not recall who it is tho

5. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Check out Kato Kings on the HAMB

6. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

As an alternative, you might look into getting a GPS speedometer. By the time you add up conversion costs, it costs almost the same.

Here's a question: Is there an aftermarket speedometer that interfaces with the T5 electrical sender or are you stuck with OEM stuff, and then again can the OEM stuff even be made to function without an ECM?

sko_ford likes this.
  7. Chevy S10s from 86-89 could have a T4 trans. Some of them have the same tail housing as a T5. They don't have a high value, it might be a cheap alternative to find a tail housing with the gear drive.

8. MARVIN CT

MARVIN CT

I put a Mustang t-5 behind the 60hp in my mgtd a few years back. A fellow named Roger Luckow of Speedometer Service Company was a great help, cable, gear, info, etc. Had a website, www.speedometersolutions.com. Good luck, Marvin,ct

9. There is a electronic box to cable. I had one bt Cable X. Sold it recently.

I would think the guys at Classic Instruments could tell you how to calibrate their analog electronic speedo for the pulse generator on your trans.
    Hope this helps. Phil

USMercUte and ls1yj like this.
  10. InPrimer

InPrimer

I also vote for a GPS, I have a T5 S10, I won't fool around trying to analyze gear selection, GPS are cheap, way accurate , Mine's behind an 8BA Flatty P.S. you also can change tire sizes without going crazy

11. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

No, I dont believe its THAT easy. The electric sensor has a reluctor on the output shaft , and the mech. has a plastic tooth gear. They fasten in different ways also.

12. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

It is possible to go from a electronic speedo to a mechanical speedo. You have to swap out to a mechanical speedo tailshaft and swap out the electrical pickup for a mechanical gear on the tailshaft. I've done this very thing without any problems and with thousands of miles on the car afterwards. The mechanical gear mounts in a similar fashion as the electronic pickup. It's been awhile since I've done that conversion but I know that there was nothing else needed other than the different tailshaft and mechanical gear for the output shaft.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That won't work. That is for a Ford style speedometer cable application. He does not have any place to put a speedometer cable, let alone a Ford one.

The sender is just an inductive current loop. It only requires power.

All Mustang T5's have a cable speedometer. This not the case with the OP's GM T5. It has no provision for the gears.

14. Performance automotive transmisson center Check the web site tons of speedo info.

ls1yj likes this.
  15. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

If you get both a tailshaft and a tailshaft housing from a mechanical speedo transmission you can swap them in. Just the tailshaft isn't enough, because the angle (and diameter?) of the port is different on the electronic unit.

There's a thread called 1965 Caliente Convertible here where Jeff installed a Mercury Mountaineer engine, transmission and dash gauges into a '65 Mercury Comet. To get the electronic speedometer to work, he had to install a module that was part of the anti-lock brake unit. So my question is what all is needed to rig up an aftermarket speedometer with the stock electrical speedometer sender?

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have several customer cars runnng around with just an electronic speedometer, and a 1989-end S10 vehicle speed sensor.

My A has the same sensor, an electronic speedometer, with nothing else.

I have customer cars running T5, T56, 4L60E, and 4L80E VSS' running a Cable-X, and a stock mechanical speedometer, with nothing else.

17. I know "Katokings" on the HAMB offers an S10 tail housing converted to mechanical speedo, PM him. He throws them on CL once in a while.

18. Kato Kings

Kato Kings
    from Minnesota

Yep, I can convert your electronic s10 tail housing to mechanical speedo drive. PM me for pricing and info.

19. Sid Pokorny

Sid Pokorny

Hi, I am interested in converting my T-5-S-10 electronic speedo to mechanical speedo on my original '46 ford 1/2 ton pickup. Please let me know the details an price. Thanks.

20. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Classic Speed is a GPS driven system that drives a cable to let you use your original speedometer. Info on my website just click the link.
    www.speedoservice.com

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Cosmo50 likes this.
  21. Twodees

Twodees

I need to go the other way: converting the electronic speed sensor type speedo to the gear/cable drive on a TH400. I saw the GPS types on Summit racing but some reviews say that the GPS signal drops. With my luck, I'll be passing a semi with a cop behind me when the signal drops.

Something that converts the rotation of the cable drive on the TH400 to an electronic signal for the speedo is what I need.

22. Cosmo50

Cosmo50
    from California

Something like this:
    https://www.speedhut.com/ecommerce/product/630/Speedometer-Sender-GM-Chrysler-Style-magnetic-pulse

Hnstray likes this.
  23. Twodees

Twodees

24. You will need info on your speedo to get correct sender. Square wave? Pulses per mile that speedo is looking for?
    Some speedo have switches to adapt to the signals created by sender.

Phil

25. Someone on E bay offered the service.Check under S10 T5 trans.

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since I upgraded the transmission in my Falcon. I have been running a Dakota Digital ECD-100.

Push the button at the beginning of a mile, and push is again at the end. Done. Flawless.

It is not even running off of my transmission. It is running off of the ABS tone ring, on my rear axle, next to the ring gear. It does not care. My EFI is using the transmission speed sensor.

27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

https://www.autometer.com/hall-effect-speedometer-sender.html

Cosmo50 likes this.
  28. squirrel

squirrel

29. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Will never use cable or electric again. Any gear, any tire gps is dead accurate plus many other features. All have odometers now and no dead spots. Some are being made model specific. About $60 on ebay.

sko_ford and Cosmo50 like this.
  30. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to drive through a lot of tunnels through coastal mountains. How well would it work in there?

We have several double-decker bridges. How about the lower deck?