Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Goldenrod streamliner at Christmas time

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brandyspaw, Nov 23, 2014.

1. brandyspaw

brandyspaw

Here's something I don't think many, if anyone, has ever seen here on the HAMB. Its some pictures of the Summers Brothers Bonneville streamliner that set the land speed record back in the sixties. However, whats interesting is that its when it was decorated for Christmas in the front yard of a home in Sun City, Arizona a couple of decades ago.

The Goldenrod is now fully restored and in the Henry Ford Museum but back when these pictures were taken its fate was a bit up in the air. The backstory was that part of the Summers family was shopping it to different museums some twenty or so years go and it was dropped off in front of this guy's house for some freshening up. The gentleman who was going to do the cosmetic work couldn't get it into his shop at the time so he decorated it with Christmas lights and other stuff to keep the neighborhood HOA at bay until he could move it.

My nephew took these pictures when he came out to look at the Goldenrod to see what needed to be done. He had been subcontracted to do mechanical repairs at his shop on the Goldenrod by the paint/lettering guy. Kind of interesting because its just not everyday you see a 400 plus mile per hour record holder decorated for Christmas in someone's front yard.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. brandyspaw

brandyspaw

I just got a few more pictures to scan:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Unusual photo's,,that's for sure. HRP

4. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Beats a blowup reindeer from Home Cheapo by a long shot!!!!!!!!!!!

5. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

Very cool -- thanks for sharing.

6. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Well if that don't beat all!
    Positively bizarre, but I like it!
    And a Merry Christmas to all @ 400 miles per hour!
    KK

7. brandyspaw

brandyspaw

This is the last picture I got from my nephew. I tried manipulating the spot out of it after scanning it but it didn't look so great so I decided to post it as is. BTW-the gentleman in the pictures is Bruce Mercer who's house the Goldenrod is parked in front of in the pictures. He was the original painter of the Goldenrod when he had a shop in California. The lady pictured is Bob Summer's daughter but my nephew couldn't recall her name.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
    stillrunners likes this.