Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 383 SBC question for engine builders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotrodBoy, Nov 22, 2014.

1. HotrodBoy

HotrodBoy

I have a set of 74cc heads ready for my engine build. Im about to build up the short block. I was going to build it as a 350, but now looking at building it to 383ci.

My question is " with the 74cc heads should I be choosing dished pistons or flat tops?".".How many compression ratio points does the stroking to 383 add to a 350?".

Here in New Zealand we have 91 and 95octane unleaded and very few gas stations have 98octane unleaded, so I don't want to run too high compression that I would have to use 98octane gas. Thanks for help with this.

2. a bloke

a bloke

C/R = cylinder volume/head volume; I calculated the 383/74cc heads will give 10.6 c/r, as opposed to the 350/74cc heads giving 9.6 c/r with flat top pistons flush with the block. Someone more knowledgeable might chip in with real world experience though.

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

My 1990 Corvette 350 I believe has 58cc chambers (Alloy heads). I built it into an internally balanced 383 using forged flat tops to run on regular gas here in Australia.

4. HotrodBoy

HotrodBoy

Thanks guys, looking like flat tops will be the way to go.

5. kuhn1941

kuhn1941

when doing the build pay close attention to the deck height , normal blocks have up to .15 in the hole ( this is top of piston to deck top where your carbon ridge would have been ) this too will lower your compression . If you go with any surface decking This will need to be checked during mock measurement build . On another note if you degree the cam in when building the engine could make the difference in a lot of hidden power . Good luck [​IMG] . My dad and I built this years ago 630 solid roller 220 dart iron eagles ran mid 11's in the 1/4 mile .