Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 36 ford custom build (MISS SCARLET)

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by kippers 34, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Wow. That is all I can say. I have never really seen one all done up, but I gotta say that I really like it!

You said that you were going to start the paint prep soon, which in and of itself is pretty awesome, but I was looking around and didn't see you saying what the color was going to be. Are you going to keep it a surprise?
    Can't wait for more progress man.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

-Ben LeBlanc

2. Lets start off this page with another of Glovers amazing photo's.[​IMG]

3. Thanks Ben. She will be a solid non metalic maroon when finished. I will be shooting the last coat of primer tomarrow. Maby paint before Christmas if im lucky.

4. Always open heavy packages when they arrive. Unboxed kipps parts and found this.
    It's being Taken care of and will be in soon.

Attached Files:

5. I was there. He said lets see how well these are built and the we stopped it off the roof...

6. So when Brian said that he dident break the overdrive he neglected to tell me that you did.

7. daddio211

daddio211

Way to go Ryan!

Carbs & Chrome likes this.
  8. ArtisticMetals

ArtisticMetals

Looking good Kipp that is some beautiful work on the 36.

9. Thanks.

10. This week I tried to get all the little flaws fixed and get her ready for final prime. Having to go get the overdrive from Brian and send it back to get a new tailshaft slowed me down a little but I got really close. Yesterday I went in to finish prep and get last coat of primer on. I think I am starting to get snow blind because she is starting to flow all togeather so when Milkweed stopped by to pick up his Impala parts I recruited him for a fresh set of eyes and an extra set of hands. I got everything in primer except the front fenders. They will haveto be finished up this week. I wanted the primer to be closer to the final color than the grey so I went to the paint store and got a pint of dark maroon toner to tint the grey primer and when I mixed it together it turned dark pink (of course) but she is closer to the maroon so I shot her. She will get wet sanded Friday after Thanksgiving and hopefully she will be ready for final paint.

firepilot likes this.
  11. HaHaHa Kipp. That was the ugliest most disgusting shade of pink you came upp with. Keep working I´m so excited to see her painted.

12. Ya! It was supposed to be red but it sure dident turn out that way.

13. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I think it looks cute. :oops:

14. Wow, first off I guess after reading my post I proved to the HAMB I can't type on my phone...

Second, I would call it more of a group experiment! :D

Honestly though I'm glad they're taking care of it.

15. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

What a lovely color, Kipp! :p
    [​IMG]

16. telekenfun

telekenfun

Kipp, I have been watching your impressive progress closely. The damage to your OD has to be disappointing, but closing in on the body must be encouraging. When I look at your beautiful frame in shiny black, I worry that you will mount the body before you shoot the final color. Having just gone through this process, and spending an entire day masking, the insidious nature of the top color overspray managed to infiltrate in several places. Now I still have a couple places to do touch-ups to my frame. I think you should shoot color while the body is on the dolly. Setting the body on your frame afterwards would be just as easy with the help of a few friends. In this way your progress won't be hampered too much and the paint can be curing while you finish the OD install. You call the "pink" your final primer coat. Do you plan a wet 400-600 scrub next and then go straight to color? Is the "pink" a seal coat that would lock out the base from your top coats? Have you done any test sprays of the color on the various color base coats? It is surprising how different even 2-3 coat look on top of different colored bases. I think to get that dark maroon you are hoping for you may need to use a black or maroon base coat as it will take many more coats (another gallon) to push back that pink base. I have found shooting a sealer coat in a color close to the top color about 40 minutes before gives the best results in the fewest amount of coats. $.
    I am curious to your procedure and I hope you find my comments constructive. As for mine, I'm into the interior mode, headliner and panel fabrication, fabric selection, dash & under-dash details. Oh, what about the wires to the dome light! Multiply all labor estimates time pye, 3.14159. Every day we get a little closer.
    Best Regards and good luck with all your endeavors, KB.

17. Geez guys it's not pink - it's raspberry sherbet...;)

18. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

[​IMG]
    Kind of reminds me of this great old movie's submarine! Seriously though I am enjoying your build thread.

19. I believe this was a consideration for the final hue at one point: maroon.jpg

20. telekenfun

telekenfun

This looks like it was shot over a light gray base. I could be mistaken but that's my impression. In any case it's a nice color for sure.
    Best Regards to all good luck with all your endeavors, KB.

21. I agree I don't think it was over a dark / black base.

22. Yes Ryan that maroon is still around where I would like to end up when done. The toner that I put in the primer was about the same color. The intent of tinting the primer was to bring the color closer to the final color it just dident change the gray as much as I would have liked. The paint I bought is a very solid color not as translucent as most metalic's so I don't think that the base primer color will have as much effect as it could.
    KB I may leave her on the cart while painting I haven't decided yet. There are pro's and con's either way I go. Being as the rear end and the new flatty are both not installed yet that might make the decision.
    Thanks every one for the comments and support. Later Kipp.

23. firepilot likes this.
  24. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now that's more like it. Looks 100% better already. Love these 36 Fords done up as Customs. Great build.

25. 32coop

32coop
    from Australia

Cool. I can't wait to see the colour on.

26. milkweed

milkweed
    from SLC UT

IT may look Pink in the pictures but it sure is BARNEY PURPLE in real life...

27. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

This sucks. I wish i could follow this post. 10 years on the HAMB and i cant post photos,view photos etc. Sad to say im deleting my app. Kip please keep me up to date my email is ernolives@gmail

28. Try deleting the app and reinstall it that should fix it.

29. I tried above tip cause I can't see the pics to this thread on my phone. Sadly no change. I can see them on my PC though and it's worth the effort!

30. @Ryan The problem appears to be with pictures he has linked from his albums. They don't show up on the app but any pictures that are loaded straight into this thread do.