Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Hardscrabble Hop-Up; A 1940's Style 'T' RPU build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by gwhite, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Jamie, that's a very good question! I would guess this combination would be good for 65-70 horsepower and 155-165 ft-lb torque give or take. Dual carbs, a modern ignition system, and free-flowing exhaust would likely give another 5 hp/10-12 ft-lb.

This is probably in line with the average "hot" late-30's to mid-40's 'banger. IMO, valve float is the limiting factor in most of these engines, and the primary reason the OHV conversions and larger displacement V8's could not, for the most part, outperform the 'hopped up' flathead 4's on the lakes. To combat this, I had steel valve spring spacers machined to increase spring pressure, which should reduce float. That said, my A motor will be limited to 3500-4000 RPM, as that's probably the practical limit to stock (styled) con rod fasteners, shimmed valve springs, and splash oiling. This corresponds (roughly) with a 90-95 mph top speed (with stock gearing and 30" diameter tires)....a good speed in the late 1930's - early 40's.

Speedy Canuck and Hitchhiker like this.
  2. Nice.....about twenty pounds per horsepower then....at least. Yep, that thing is gonna' fly. Thank you sir.

3. It looks like you should be ready for Round Up if you'd quit typing and start working, just kidding. Keep at it!!!

gwhite likes this.
  4. dwest999

dwest999
    from Saline, MI

Looks great Gary. I am hoping you're going to post a video of the test fire!

5. Probably not...still have more asphaltum paint to sniff, uh, err paint first :)

Actually, I'm on a bit of a hiatus for a little while...broke my tailbone last week, so I'm learning the hard way that the phrase "butthurt" is a real and painful truism.

Shoot neighbor, I may call you when the time comes to see if you want to accompany me :)

loudbang likes this.
  6. The 90 m.p.h. Club! ;o)

gwhite likes this.
  7. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

See Gary, if you wouldn't have invested so heavily to get into the "90 mph" club, your pocketbook may have had the padding required to save you from injury.

"I need my mirror boy"

Jungle Jalopy, volvobrynk and gwhite like this.
  8. Just catching up on this build and I like it!:cool:

9. loudbang

loudbang

Come on don't hold back there HAS TO BE a "backstory" to go with this LOL.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. Honestly, it's not all it's "cracked" up to be, hahaha. Ouch. @3wLarry says I'm "anal" (no pun intended) about the details - I'm a little fanatic about keeping all my parts organized...to make a long story short, I was dragging a heavy container across the garage and lost my balance - caught a piece of angle iron right in the tail. Literally.

11. loudbang

loudbang

So you "backed" into it LOL.:rolleyes:

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Sorry to hear your injury will make you 'fall behind' in your updates.

ba-dum-bum

13. PINEAPPLE

PINEAPPLE

I just read this entire thread..wow! I love it. The cockpit area looks perfect! Great car. subscribed.

14. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Sorry about your ass break:rolleyes: I've broken mine several times. Not much you can do about it and it sucks to sit on it!
    I had to sit on mine on the train from RI to Jersey. Man that was a long ride! Hope your bum is feelin better soon:D

BTW, you still want the panel? I'm not in any rush, just wondering.

15. The result of sitting down on the job.

And yes, I cringed reading about your fall. Heal quickly. Cracked tailbones are no fun at all. And you can't even get your friends and family to sign the cast.

volvobrynk, Hitchhiker and gwhite like this.
  16. Thanks, fellas.

@jerseyboy, my apologies...ADD kicked in and I completely forgot. Sending you a PM.

17. rail job

rail job
    from Michigan

There is always some part of building a car that's a pain in the ass.

18. @ct1932ford I had to delete that...hurts too bad to look at it. YIKES, hahaha

19. just lay on the creeper backwards.

gwhite likes this.
  20. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

That's a pic I want to delete, ugly.

"I need my mirror boy"

21. OLLIN

OLLIN

That's the name for your car! "fanny" or "fanny mae" haha

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Speedy Canuck likes this.
  22. C'mon guys let's leave the assinine remarks behind, heal, quickly Gary.

gwhite likes this.
  23. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I missed your Updates, I came in about where your engine pics was.
    And I feel powerfrace ol' henry;
    No engine need more cylinders, then a cow has teats. Espacialy when my 4 banger is so damn good.
    B) :D LOL.

I've been sitting on that one for three pages, but still not as painfull as it must be for you!
    Get Well soon, and get cracking. :)

gwhite likes this.
  24. -Brent-

-Brent-

Love this build. If you'd be interested is selling the pump/gauge bezel, I would be interested to use it with my pump and gauge.

Your first set-up is similar (very very alike) to what I will be doing in a couple weeks.

25. Sorry Brent, just saw this...shoot me a PM.

26. Small update and a setback; motor is ready, got a quick test fire in, but couldn't run her very long...carb is spewing gas all over....need to tear it apart again.

Will get video if I can get the carb dialed in well enough to actually run it for any length of time.

27. Carter

Carter

Glad to see an update!
    Where is carb leaking from?

28. Sounds familiar

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

gwhite likes this.
  29. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Good luck Gary! I'll be trying to fire mine in the next few days...

Posted using my Lil' Orphan Annie Secret Society Decoder Pin

gwhite likes this.