Register now to get rid of these ads!

What exactly am I buying

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2NDCHANCE, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Fantastic job, it looks like it came out of the 30s or 40s. It's a work of art, and the attention to detail in the fabrication is top notch.
    And I love the gauge layout....;).

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  2. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

oldschool66 thanks for the comments. As for the gauge layout... I was going to make an aluminum insert then decided to see what the stock dash would let me do. After ordering the Stewart Warner gauges I made some circle templates and just altered the stock gauge holes with a dye grinder. Slow and steady, with many test fits......I wanted to keep it a simple as possible. Gary

3. I like the look very much, nice and clean.

4. dkWayfarer50

dkWayfarer50
    from Denmark

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. dkWayfarer50

dkWayfarer50
    from Denmark

6. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

Well I need to work on the 1930 Chevy Steering box this winter, Try something newer, but the rest works well. 53e671ff60dc3_preview-620.jpg steve-6.jpg

7. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

I took it out for a 100 mile cruise on a windy day and all the free play in the steering box made for a "white knuckle ride". Side wind = bad, Head wind = good. Even with a straight pipe the 292 is kind of quiet. Around town it's like a big go-kart. Gary

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
    kiwijeff and rob lee like this.
  8. Very cool, makes me want to rethink my 35 Chevy RPU project. Got the big Hudson Super Six engine, ready to put back into the heavy Hudson frame...
    Combining the two would be cool, cept I lose a car.

One small question, what's the light looking thing in the middle of the front pan do?

Thanks for showing this, im inspired.

9. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

That is the cover for the hand crank hole. They are almost always gone. They just clip on and not very well at that. I was lucky to have the original one intact. I bolted it in place so I won't loose it going down the road. I think someone is making a reproduction now. The yellow light is for that old timey look.....just one light will do the trick.

kiwijeff likes this.
  10. Great project! I can't help but wonder if a mid-late 50's chevy pickup steering gear would interchange and be a better choice.
    I had a 50 chevy car [had bronze/brass bushings] with a worn steering gear and found a 53 chevy gear was a direct bolt-in and it had tapered roller bearings...a huge improvement in driveability.
    Hope to see your car around this summer....who knows? Maybe I'll come out to your Friday nite cruise.

11. Squablow

Squablow

Looks great, great use of a not-much-left car.

kiwijeff and volvobrynk like this.
  12. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

Rocky, I've had that exact same thought.....mid 50's pick up steering box. Can you buy new parts? Thanks for your input. Gary

13. 29woodie

29woodie
    from boston, ma

Your car is great; an inspiration. I've got a 1947 Chevy truck steering box on my '30 Chevy--but since my project is stalled I haven't had it on the road.

14. Good golly man.......the progress you've made !! That is cool as hell......you're cookin' ! Did you even stop and take a breath ? That's some nice work sir.

15. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

I'm getting ready for the 2015 Omaha World of Wheels car show. I re-did the small numbers and painted the large numbers on the tail. It really changed the attitude of the car. Gary 30-1.jpg 30-2.jpg 30-3.jpg

16. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Did you do some kind of spacer for the rear wheels, to mount to the Nissan rear axle?

Do you have any more picks of the frame before you started on the body. Maybe something about the crossmember location.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. marioD

marioD

Excellent car! It's got the mood, and i bet it's a lot of fun to drive!
    Very well done....

Mario

18. TBONE1964

TBONE1964

Gary, the car is awesome. I love the speedsters and your vision is worthy of many awards. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and ideas with all of us. It is another inspiration I need to do the same with my own vision.

Great work,
    Tom

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. gas & guns

gas & guns

Wow, can't believe I haven't seen this before.
    Simple clean looking fabrication. Nice job, you don't mess around!

20. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

^^^ Same here. Your car is one of the types of builds I really enjoy and after all this time this thread is new to me just this morning. Hard to believe and I certainly wonder why. Anyone else? Could this have anything to do with the new and improved HAMB? By any chance did you post on your computer or via a mobile device? Regardless of my frustration... nice job and thanx for posting more photos! Gary

21. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I love to see old Chevys! Don't know how I missed this one!! Great work and attention to detail.

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. This is the kind of stuff I really like. Great work on this!!

volvobrynk and hrm2k like this.
  23. Very cool build....Hope to see it on the road around Nebraska at some point.

24. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

We just replaced the stock 30 Chevy steering box and column with a mid fifty's Ford 1/2 ton pick up box. Man, what a difference. It's truly a pleasure to drive now. Also moved the gas pedal 7" to the right to get it out from under the steering wheel....much better. Now I'm thinking about selling the car, and moving on to the next project (I must be crazy). Also redid the lower rear shock mounts to keep them from bottoming out. They were a little to short. Thanks for all the nice comments. Gary

25. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

You originally said you were getting a 250 six with the frame, but then I saw pics of the engine, and it's a 292! Then I read your narrative. Did the yard owner not know what it was, or is it a different engine completely? Good score just the same. Now you just need the Clifford intake and headers I have. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Wish I had the cash, or a more understanding wife

27. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

What are you going to do with the original '30 steering column and box? I have an original 4 door sedan and it needs a steering box. Maybe your take off part is better than the one I have or the worn out spares I have.

30 Chevy.jpg

2NDCHANCE likes this.
  28. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

Originally I bought a 250 six and a turbo 350 out of a 1975 Nova. The six had the weird head and I was told they were not worth much. I kept the H.E.I. and then sold the engine($100). A buddy told me about a "292" for sale for $100 so I went and bought it. Turns out to be a rebuilt "4 Star" motor. I got very lucky, the guy said if I was not completely satisfied , he would re-fund the $100. I had almost forgot about that little side step. Gary

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.
  29. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

3-=FRONT.jpg A buddy was giving me crap about the fog light not working so I used the internet to get the right part number for a 12 volt bulb in amber. Now the fog light works also.....It's an old Unity light I found and my local salvage yard. Now my buddy can't give me any more grief

kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  30. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

I need some ideas on Hubcaps.....I can get originals for $85 each.....but I don't really like them all that much. Any Ideas would be appreciated. Mini moon disc's.....help. Gary