Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest car club names

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by StefanS, Nov 20, 2014.

1. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Some of you know who I am from posts and some dont. My son and I got a '54 Chevy 210 last year and I've been thinking of starting a family based club. He's 11 and I think it would be important to the hobby, amidst a sea of rice burners and cars/trucks on "dubbs", to pass on the old style vehicles to the next generation of drivers/car owners. Anyway, the point of this post is...choosing a name. I'm letting him pick the name. He doesn't read anything on hot rods, restorations, customs or anything but has interest in them. The dilema is, every name he's come up with has been taken already (Phantoms, gear grinders, dukes and a few others). What are the stipulations on choosing a name? Is it ok to have the same name as another club from another city/state or is that frowned upon. Help a brother out haha

2. I don't think you would have a problem using a existing name,that is unless it's trademarked/copyrighted. HRP

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  3. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

How would I go about finding out if a name is trademarked?

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You could always contact the club and see if you could start a chapter in your town.

Hotrodmyk likes this.

5. seldom scene

seldom scene

Relax, take your time car clubs form themselves at 11 your kid needs to read and study old cars. If other people show interest in your car and get their own ,you will have a basis for a club. After you have a real club the members will choose a name, you can't push it, it has to grow on it's own. In the meantime fly a LoneWolf plaque.

6. Why not just join the Karb Kings? There's a branch in Fredricksburg, VA and (I think) another in Baltimore.

They already have a cool name, and you and your son will get instant camraderie.

7. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

If there's a Baltimore chapter thats not a bad idea. I'll see if I can cotact them.

8. gfbracing

gfbracing
    from Rome Ga.

I cant speak for up north but down here in the south you might catch an ass whippin walking around with someone elses club name on your back, just sayin.

9. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Yeah man no steppin on toes for me

10. I like :Ol Dad and his boys". When the appropriate time comes. Tim

11. Or might have to give one. :D

A family based car club, why not call it Nepotism. you can then have it all family based and prepare him for the working world at the same time. Kill two birds with one stone.

Two much consternation on club names. Call it what you like and let 'em eat worms if they can't take a joke.

That said I was going to state a motorcycle club a while back but all the good names were taken.

seatex likes this.
  12. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Haha right right. I think we'll name it the knuckle dusters and all carry brass knuckles. Do they make them in kids sizes?

13. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

That was a joke by the way...he has big hands for an 11 year old

14. oldolds

oldolds

It's going to be hard to make up a name that was never used. There have been car clubs for about 100 years now.
    A lot has to do with the logo design and location stamp. Something like Gear Grinders, Pottsville Pa compared to Gear Grinders, Omaha. There are few nationwide car clubs, and fewer that are incorporated. It's been a while since I heard about a street fight between car clubs over a name. Most of us are past that stage. Motorcycle guys might still do that though.

15. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Yeah thats what I was thinking. As long as I put "so and so Maryland" and have a completely different logo or whatever, it should be good to go. Thanks guys

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  16. I prefer you not use this unless you plan to whack the top off of that 210.:D 11202014.jpg

saltflats likes this.
  17. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Thats funny you say that. The thought of cutting the top off crossed my mind at one point.

18. gfbracing

gfbracing
    from Rome Ga.

If you were going to use another clubs name rather than something original I think it would be cool to find an old club thats no longer active and if possible contact an original member about caring on the name.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  19. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

That would be a pretty cool idea but how in the h@#l would you find a club name thats not in existence any longer?

20. gfbracing

gfbracing
    from Rome Ga.

Search the internet for old car club plaques from your area maybe. There was a club called the Jokers from the 50s in my home town i had thought about looking up one of the original members to see if we could use the name without pissing anyone off but the club im in had allready settled on a name and it would just be to much trouble to change everthing.

21. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

How'd you find out about the old club? I looked up clubs in md and found a ton but they're all active

22. gfbracing

gfbracing
    from Rome Ga.

Actually i think there was an old thread on here about it, someone had a plaque and was looking for info on it. You may be able to search it, was Jokers car club Rome Ga.

23. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

take a look at obriantruckers.com - they make a large percentage of car club plaques and have a list of ones that they have done.

saltflats likes this.
  24. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Just take your time it will come.

25. ............I really think this is the best approach. Get out to some cruise nights and local events and seek out like minded folks that you have some common ground with. You don't want it to be "contrived" and not genuine. Before you know it you'll be standing around with some friends and family and someone will say, hey, let's call ourselves "this" and everyone looks at each other and either says, he's crazy or great idea!

26. Stefans, I have a list of car clubs that I downloaded (I think from here). I tried uploading it but it says it is too big. PM me with your email and I will send it to you if you are interested.

27. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

I think you're right...thanks everyone

28. Thinking of a name...ugh...I hate this part. I've been through this so many times when forming bands (musical groups). It's really a pain. But, as others have stated, just try to let it form organically. Eventually a name will rise to the top, if you don't think too hard about it.

29. Yes, well they make them for Asian men, that's kid sized. ;)

30. StefanS

StefanS
    from Maryland

Yessss :D it's settled then...the "Knuckle Dusters cc Maryland"