Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Undergoing the change

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by fins2nv, Nov 19, 2014.

1. fins2nv

fins2nv
    from Fargo, ND

I have posted questions on the HAMB several times since I picked up my 1930 Model A coupe in August, but I haven't posted any photos yet. (Number one, I don't have a camera. Number two, I don't know how to do this computer stuff very well.) So I enlisted one of my sons to give me a hand. I bought the coupe from an 82-year-old gentleman who had the car for about 25 years. The coupe ran good when I got it, but I have been doing some tuning over the last couple of months so it now runs smooth. The first thing I did was remove most of the doodads from the car. It seems that every time the fellow had a birthday or at Christmas, someone would give him something for the car. I stripped (and saved) most of the stuff and then started doing some body work to straighten out a few spots. You can see the before photos and the way it sits now. The coupe is a blast to drive and one of the most entertaining cars I have ever had. Before someone comments on the cowl lights, they are signal lights and I will be removing them and using a different set-up for front lights in the near future. The coupe came with a cool set of '40s rims when I bought it, but I found a set of '35 wires that I blasted and painted. Next project is new pan gaskets and timing gear cover gaskets.

Original 1.JPG

Original 2.JPG

Original 3.JPG

Hot Rod 1.jpg

Hot Rod 2.jpg

Hot Rod 3.jpg

kiwijeff likes this.
  2. Looks better,I like the green wheels. HRP

3. Looks cool & I dig the cowl lamps

4. I thought "is the same car"? I like it either way. I'd consider some spring work on the front and some day a dropped headlight bar. Its still cool. Tim

5. fins2nv

fins2nv
    from Fargo, ND

6. Sounds like a Chris Craft!:cool: Very Cool.

7. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

If that car would find itself 4" closer to the ground on both ends I'm sure it would thank you. Neat start on a traditional hot rod.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. Thank you for letting her live as Henry intended.

9. Who needs a camera and computer....when you can pull off a stud move like that ? ! Looks awesome man, and it frekn' drives ! Nice.

10. Nice transformation.
    I've a soft spot for 30s Model As.

11. fins2nv

fins2nv
    from Fargo, ND

Thanks for the comments. Scrap Metal 48, my wife underwent her's about 20 years ago.

Yes, the front should come down some. Just so it's cheap and easy. Same with the rear. I will retain the mechanical brakes for the foreseeable future.

12. fins2nv

fins2nv
    from Fargo, ND

One question. It has the 600 X16 tires that came with the car. I see a lot of people go with 7.50 on the rear. Would that really fill up a lot of the space between the tire and fender, or would it just push the rear of the car that much higher?

13. I think it would help especially if you get the front down a bit.

14. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

put 7.50 on the rear as soon as you can

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. Thaplumbr

Thaplumbr

Man, that flathead sounds good!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. fins2nv

fins2nv
    from Fargo, ND

I pulled the stock muffler and ran a straight pipe. I've been thinking about putting in a Porter muffler. I wish I could hear a four-banger with a Porter before I end up ordering one.

17. Phttttt :p I kinda liked it pink myself. :D

yes it is a good looking car in black with the green wheels isn't it. :cool:

18. -Brent-

-Brent-

Before I read this I saw the vids and wondered if it was a long pipe or not and, eventually, I could tell you ran it toward the back. I, too, think it sounds good but I am more tipped toward running a drive shaft for a pipe. Thing is, it doesn't sound as good as yours.

I may have to rethink it, now.

19. fins2nv

fins2nv
    from Fargo, ND

I'm running a stock tailpipe. I just pulled out the stock muffler and welded in a straight piece where the muffler had been. I just wonder if a Porter muffler or a glass pack would give it a little more mellow tone.

20. fins2nv

fins2nv
    from Fargo, ND

I have a second short video backing out of the driveway. Like an idiot, I turned the fuel valve off instead of on and ran out of gas in the carb.

And one more quickie from inside the coupe going down the street.

21. fins2nv

fins2nv
    from Fargo, ND

Since I've been throwing out videos here, I might as show the last one. This is my '58 De Soto Firesweep. I brought it home and put it in the garage in 2005 and drove it out in 2008. I had a Link Wray tune for the soundtrack, but youtube wouldn't let me use it.

22. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I liked it better before, but what do I know. Not a fan of the lime green wheels. Still a kool car I just liked it better before.

23. seatex

seatex

You like green wheels, Danny? Who knew?:D:rolleyes::cool:
    [​IMG]

24. fins2nv

fins2nv
    from Fargo, ND

I considered red for the wheels, and black. Quite awhile ago someone posted on the HAMB asking suggestions for wheel colors and one person said to do them in green. So, rather than do another set of red or black wires, I thought that sounded like a good idea.