Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods HAS ANYONE USED DUPONT™ CHROMACLEAR® 2370S™ FLEXIBLE MATTED CLEARCOAT ON THEIR HOT ROD?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bmita, Nov 20, 2014.

1. bmita

bmita

i am searching for a clear to use on my 52 chevy truck. i am wanting to do a metallic base coat with a satin clear. i have read a bunch of stuff on here about the different clears along with the single stage paint but have not seen where anyone has used this named dupont clear. i was hoping someone has used the dupont matted clear but just have not commented on how it went for them. the shop where i am redoing my truck uses all dupont stuff and i can get a better deal on dupont than other brands. you guys have always come through before with answers hoping it happens again.

2. Are you painting it yourself or having the shop paint it? If they are painting it I would think they will dictate what clear they will use. Very few shops will allow you to provide them with your own material. If you are spraying yourself be aware that satin clears have to be sprayed perfectly there is no going back and sanding/buffing out mistakes. That being said Dupont (Now Axalta) makes good products so it will be a top quality product.

3. Check SPI's Matte clear.
    It's so simple to shoot I could teach a monkey to shot it.

4. 1oldracer

1oldracer

I have used Kustom Shops matte paint and love it. It is easy to shoot and dries to a very even finish. I have tried gloss paint that the paint supplier add flatener to and had many problems trying to get an even finish, so flat and some shiny spots.

5. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

I've used PPG's Flex-n-flat with good results. Sprays well with only 2 coats recommended coats.

6. bmita

bmita

the shop is a friend of mine, so i been doing all the work myself. the owner along with some friends who are painters will be there to help out when i spray the truck. my friend who owns the shop is a dupont user forever, that is why i was asking about the clear. he has never used it before but he stands behind dupont 100%. thanks for your input.

7. famous59

famous59
    from dallas, tx

as long as its name brand you will be good... DuPont makes a good product .. I have used PPG's Flex-n-flat with great results

8. BISHOP

BISHOP

Make sure everything gets shot at the same time. Variances in temp and humidity will affect the sheen.

Slower the drying time, the more it wants to be glossy

Shoot it on a warm day.... let it air dry.

If its a heated booth, Im sure it is where your located...... Dont force dry it, keep the booth at around 75-80 degrees.

Good luck, you only get one shot.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  9. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd suggest you shoot some standard gloss 1st to lock in your poly color and then develop the final surface with something like 1000. Add your final 2 coats of matte clear and you should end up really happy with it. Those are good cautions above, not too much, not too hot, not too cool. I'm a PPG guy myself so I can't comment on DuPont.

BISHOP likes this.
  10. BISHOP

BISHOP

Great suggestion HIGHLANDER
    This will get you a near perfect job. Its well worth the extra time to lock your base down.
    You can use a mid coat base clear instead of a clear coat to save some money, but you will have a rock solid job by laying down two coats of clear first, let dry a day or two, prep with 800, then two coats of your flat final clear.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  11. bmita

bmita

thanks everyone for the suggestions. working on the cab now, bed all done. hope to have it painted by Christmas. i will post pictures when finished.