Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Need help w/turn signals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldfart, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Not sure how "traditional" turn signals are but I think that they are needed.
    I wired up the woodie and when I turn on either turn signal both rear lights and the third brake light flash on & off. What ta heck did I do wrong?

2. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

What happens if you disconnect the third brake light?

3. squirrel

squirrel

Hard to say what you did wrong, unless we know what you did....how about a schematic? or at least a description?

To make turn signals, and a third brake light work, with just one bulb at each rear corner, requires a 6 wire turn signal switch. And 3 wires going to the back of the car, one for each light. The 3rd brake light needs to be wired to the brake light switch, not to the brake lights themselves. Each brake light will be wired to a different wire on the turn signal switch.

Hnstray likes this.
  4. I was a little vague..Sorry. I have the 1930 taillights w/2 separate bulbs in each light.One for stop and one for tail(I assume) The 3rd stop light has a separate wire.
    I've checked my wiring twice but I'll do it again to make sure that I have brake & turn in their proper place coming out of the steering column.

5. Be sure the third brake wire is direct to the brake switch, not through the signal unit.
    The Wizzard

6. squirrel

squirrel

What are you using for a turn signal switch?

Usually if there are two bulbs in each side, you would use one dual filament bulb for tail and brake, and the other (single filament) bulb for turn signal, and use a simple 3 wire turn signal switch. The front and rear turn signals on each side use the same wire from the switch. In this case, all three brake lights (left, center, right) would be wired together, to the brake light switch.

Hnstray likes this.
  7. 327Eric

327Eric

do you have a good, or separate ground. I have found that years of corrosion, or paint can end up obscuring the ground path, causing all sorts of unexplainable reactions on a properly wired setup. add a discreet pigtail to the body or chassis, and a strap from the frame to the body or component the lights are mounted too.

Hnstray likes this.
  8. rfraze

rfraze

All the magic happens in the turn signal switch. It must be working properly and be the type to switch input from brake light switch to input from flasher for single dual filament bulb systems to work properly. Power for the bright filament will be switched from one source to the other when the turn signal is moved to that side. An example would be a switch from a tri-five Chevy or the clamp-on-column old style. Make sure yours will work this way and that the third brake light is operated directly from the brake light switch as stated above.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  9. Found the problem;One of the brand new LED lights is junk,doesn't work. I replaced them w/incandescent lights.