Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ever add up your receipts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lakesmod, Nov 19, 2014.

1. 2935ford

2935ford

and scare myself......uh, uh!

2. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I keep everything also,receipts,instructions,contacts,anything that has to do with the car
    I also keep a running journal so to speak as to maintainance, parts installation etc. it's all part of being anal.
    I will add them up but the total never bothers me, I was told once don't let $500 bucks stop you from having a nice car and it makes sense to me,AND my everlovin' agrees with the concept. Life is good.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. I like to keep all the receipts I can in case I need to replace it or just remember what car the part was originally made for.
    I started adding up the costs on a couple of vehicles and usually stop counting once it goes over ten grand. After that, I figure I would lose money if I ever sold it anyway so it really didn't matter much anymore.

4. Weezy1930

Weezy1930
    from OHIO

Keep them? Yes. Ad them up? Yes, but never again! Ouch.:eek: And I'm just half done.

Ever add up your labor hours? Man, if I didn't love this hobby...

5. Never add up receipts, I keep a running leger in my head that is probably somewhere close.

Tell you what I do add up though, I add up grins. When it stops making me grin it gets sold for whatever will get me started on my next adventure.

Dakota.za likes this.
  6. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I must be doing something wrong.. My builds are NOT high dollar but I keep all receipts and swap meet dollars spent in a folder so I not only know how much I have in the build but how much to ask when it's sell time.. I like to get my money back and make a little for the next project.. I don't add my labor because it's a hobby and enjoyment just being in the shop building hot rods...

7. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I understand how you feel, but a car isn't worth what you put into it.
    It's worth what it's worth.

8. I am totally into my cars for their characteristics and don't care what I have spent on them. To me, it's not about what they cost me to fix up or what I may get for them if I decide to sell them. It's all about doing what I can to get them driving so I can enjoy them. It never costs much to be able to enjoy them.

9. I keep the receipts for every part, nut & bolt. I buy a lot of swap meet parts also that I keep track of. So I know right to the penny what I've spent. I have a book that I write all the part numbers down and keep all the instruction sheets for future use.

10. Do people that spend a lot of time in a tavern keep their receipts? For me, this is my entertainment and if I have to worry about how much it costs, I can't afford it and will go back to chasing women. Oh wait, that is even more expensive!

pat59 likes this.
  11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I only keep and add up receipts for cars I do not plan to own for a long time so when I sell them I know if I lost my ass or not. I think over the years I have pretty much broke even. made a bunch of money here, lost a bunch there.

12. indyjps

indyjps

The car I'm building now is my first car, owned it for 24 years, I have every receipt I've ever put into it. Where do I start, it's been a driver, racer, and going back to a frame off driver. I have a list of the parts I need and buy them as I go, if I get a good price the day I buy it, I feel good.

Every other build has just been a car that I own for a while, couple months or couple years, I keep good accounting on those cars and make sure I don't overspend so I can break even or make a little on them.

Keeping good records of swap meet buys and trader ads has helped me a lot. If I bought some parts from a guy that's into 60's pontiacs, then 5 years later come across a 60's pontiac, I give them him a call, the guy is usually still into pontiacs and I can sell or swap something.

13. I had to sell a car , and so I added it all up to show the my tax person that I didn't make any profit, so I would not be taxed as income. That's when I found out that I spent $5k on my 354 Hemi. Kept that motor and installed a $200.00 craigslist sbc, which made it more saleable

14. 62nova

62nova

Still cheaper and more fun than any new piece of crap!

Cosmo49 likes this.
  15. HUSSEY

HUSSEY

I keep a simple Excel file broken down by power train, drive train, interrior, etc. and reccord every penny. I like to know where I'm at. I think it keeps me more fiscally responsible and keeps me motivated to look for deals, alternatives, or some horse trading on parts.

16. Mercman4life

Mercman4life

I have a box full of receipts. Don't want to know the total. Just want to enjoy the car. Some day , maybe I will add them up after the car is gone. But not soon.

17. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I like the idea on keeping the info in a ledger so part numbers could be found and no I do not keep good records and never totalled up the receipts only keeping a basic total in my head which might explode soon.

18. CayoRV

CayoRV

I keep all of the receipts and add little notes as to swap meet finds re: what they were from and the cost but I found it best to not add them up for a total. The way I have it figured, when my bride asks me how much I have spent on this one or that one, I can look her in the eye and honestly say I don't know. Not that she really cares but I also don't think she really has any idea of what kind on money this hobby can take. No need burdening her with any unnecessary bits of information.

19. I don't keep track of how much money I spend. If I need it I buy it.

20. I keep a record of every expense and categorize them with labels like engine, interior, paint, etc. on an Excel spreadsheet . Just ran the tally on the latest 6-yr (and still going) project-- I just figure it's more than some hobbies, less than others. For me, worth every penny!

21. There was a time when I finished a project I would total all the receipts. Now I am old and don't give a shit!:rolleyes: I do still keep the receipts, just don't know where they are.:confused:

22. Imperial66

Imperial66
    from NC

10-11 years ago I built an 85 Scottsdale 4x4. I built the truck I always wanted when I was young and broke, well... I built it to the tune of 36,000. Last time I added up receipts. I do keep them all, just incase.

23. desotot

desotot

I know a guy who keeps his reciepts in a cardboard box so he can burn them fast if he needs to.

24. Not anymore I don't. Especially when you have one that's seen multiple engines, tires/wheels, paint jobs and interiors. No way ! I often kept books of receipts to reinforce my proof of idiocy.

25. What's the point, once your in your in. It's all over but the crying. Should have collected comics.

26. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I keep all of my receipts, but like so many others, never intend to total them....they will be there when I'm dead and gone so my wife can add them up if she so desires and it is going to go to my grandson then.

27. dexleo2

dexleo2

I keep them all but I never add them up. I keep them for the part numbers and where I got what.

28. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I sometimes start a project by saving receipts, but pretty soon it gets out of hand. I kinda throw the major ones in a folder, but all the little $25--$50--$100 dollar ones for things like nuts and bolts, sanding discs, etc get tossed out.

It is also not a good idea to have incriminating evidence around if you are married ! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Don

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  29. firingorder1

firingorder1

Are you kidding?? If I did I'd never go racing.

30. paul55

paul55
    from michigan