Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Goofy Shit On DiBiasse's '34

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Nov 19, 2014.

1. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

I really like it, but I am fairly partial to "east coast style" rods when talking this era.

Two things struck me on this thing right away; the drop axle isn't that far dropped, he musta had one hell of a kick out front, even with the deep channel. And two, there's a lesson here, if this thing was "the lowest" in New Jersey, it kinda calls out all the "traditional" builds with deeply channeled early coupes and roadsters with door sills even lower than this one.

kidcampbell71 and gwhite like this.
  2. Too bad you didn't color shop the photo, and yell....hey look what my neighbor built yesterday. The drone of "that's not traditional" gets so tiring to hear......

I'm glad to see this ride pop up......I would love to have it. Goofy? Well..... hey......Hi, I'm Mickey Mouse. Love it ! Definitely not an also ran, or a belly button. Also a great reminder that ingenuity, and budget went hand in hand to the bright eyed kids, of hot rodding's best damned days.

Thanks for the post, man. Pretty fukn' cool.

mammyjammer likes this.
  3. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

I patterned my channeled '34 3W after a car my dad built in 1954. He ran a deuce grill then so I did the same thing now. Many would consider it "goofy shit" but I wanted to respect his vision he had way back when. I've got several old pictures of my dad and his car and he sure seems to be happy with his creation.

gwhite likes this.
  4. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

RYAN...Chip's makin' up words again

kidcampbell71 and gwhite like this.
  5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Tattle tale...

gwhite likes this.
  6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Years ago, when I used to teach women how to use their ultra high-twitch sewing machines that I had sold them, I started every class with a simple disclaimer: " I speak four languages fluently, English, West Coast Hot Rodder/Surfer, English Motorcycle, and some stuff I make up... If you don't understand what I say, just ask, I'm happy to define." I laughed my ass off when "Wonky" became a common use, company wide term...

flamingokid and gwhite like this.
  7. I like the 'bumpers'.... kind of a lo-buck nerf bar setup....

8. I can deal with the front bumper...but the rear exhaust treatment and those 'bumpettes' are...<belch>

Still, it's a bitchin' rod...I'd take it in a heartbeat!!

Don't be too hard on bumpered cars...I dig these;
    Whitey Johnson 1940.jpg
    Jenson 29 1943.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. 55Brodie

55Brodie

Goofy shit is traditional.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. I guess some of the things that we now say a "hot rod" has to have or can't have were still being worked out back then, now I know the "hot rod style " was known by the time this car was built(1960). but I guess the builder was tring to find the style he wanted, sometimes we build cars that follow the "rules" maybe a little too much.

mammyjammer likes this.
  11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

For those commenting on how traditionally focused the HAMB is... Well, you are on the wrong forum... and need to find another.

gwhite likes this.
  12. I don't see anything goofy on or about that car. I dig it – even the bumperettes.

J.Ukrop, dana barlow and gwhite like this.
  13. -Brent-

-Brent-

Same.

dana barlow and gwhite like this.
  14. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I love it. But y'all know I like em goofy..

15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's instinct for real hot rodders to critique what they see. If I had a dollar for every "What do you think of..." posts on the forums I visit, and the replies that critique, I think Brizio could build me a car. The more you do the more you pick. I'm getting a certain car back to authentic after it was "restored" in the 70s. I can't help but critique how hard it must have been to fuck it up vs doing it right, but hot rods? Born to be picked at, copied, inspiring, and any other word you can throw at the idea. Nothing wrong there IMO. Also, just because it was done long ago it doesn't get a pass. My previous employer just short of demanded I compliment a car done by the owner and I refused. Tell tale drag marks from the sins of the red rubber sanding block, miss matched colors on a one color car, cowl tweeked to the right, yards of synthetic modern material inside, and of all things a fuckin back up camera (!). It was fucked up and wrong and it disrespects the pros and those who do get it right to give props to a mess. Wrong isn't generational, people fucked up before your dad's even thought about you. Is this car fucked up? Just a little, also IMO. Not the "goofy shit" as pointed out, but a few things here n there. Goofy enough to be kool, or maybe "goofy shit" could be construed as a compliment.

16. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I wouldn't say goofy, maybe unique. Looking through all of those old Little Pages there were alot of things done that we wouldn't consider mainstream but that was how it was. It's a cool car.

17. I believe this is my new favorite phrase.:D

& goofy shtuff or no - I love the car!

18. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

How can a fifty year old build have the wrong headlights?

Spoggie likes this.
  19. flamingokid

flamingokid

I have a few questions for the builder,but overall I still like it.

20. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I'm the other way with this stuff than a lot of you, i'm not sure how many more copies of the vern tardel roadster from the book i can stand...

don colaps, Spoggie and Mat Thrasher like this.
  21. catdad49

catdad49

Lets see, in '61 I was building plastic models and thinking each one was bad until the next one was complete. I don't know how many cars Bob built, but that thing must have ruled at the drive-in!

J.Ukrop likes this.
  22. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Bingo. I love Tardel-based rods, but I'd take a channeled east-coast "odd" car over one any day.

23. firingorder1

firingorder1

I'm curious to know why its "goofy". Apart from the bumpers which may have been required by state law. Is it because it isn't full of rust holes and painted flat black? With the carbs on some ridiculous hi-rise manifold that puts them higher than the roof?

24. Read the article...

25. 55Brodie

55Brodie

Didn't intend to strike a nerve Ryan. I'm from New Jersey and old enough to remember goofy east coast rods and customs. My point was this car was the "norm".

26. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

From your response, I'm guessing you don't read many of my posts. I've never... in 20 years of doing this... featured a car with rust holes.... or a hi-rise intake that puts the carbs higher than the roof... or any other such weirdness.

I mean, I've pretty much dedicated all of my writing to either historical builds like this one or contemporary builds built in a very traditional style.

bowie and gwhite like this.
  27. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

My car has a goofy shit behind the steering wheel, does that count?

The east coast did have a certain style, I always liked the channeled un-chopped look.that came from "back east".

Spoggie likes this.
  28. I dig the car. Even some of the goofy.

29. agshelby

agshelby

I like the side profile with the hood top in place. Its pretty slick with the door hardware removed and the lines flow very well. Wonder if it still exists ...

30. I've been obsessed with hot rods for at least 50 years now and I have done my far share of goofy sh*t also.

I often read and see images from the past that some kid dreamed up and somehow created his dream and I am in awe. HRP

dana barlow likes this.