Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Block heater / solvent tank???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Dan

Dan

Being the time of year it is we have a number of cars coming in the shop for block heaters, got me to thinking...
    Could a block heater be installed in the side of a parts washer / solvent tank and used to heat the solution? Our tank currently has Purple Power or Simple Green or some such chemical in it (don't remember which - but it works okay...) Are their certain chemicals we wouldn't want to heat? Does a MSDS provide that type of info?
    I think it might work if guy could remember not to leave it plugged in for extended periods? I think the heat in addition to circulation (from the pump, which ours doesn't seem to be working) might be a good combo???

2. Dan

Dan

Honestly, now that I think about it some more, might be hard to find any type of sealant to use around the block heater that the chemical in the tank wouldn't eat away??

3. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

What about a tank heating pad that goes on the outside of the tank ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1416410123.140002.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

loudbang and Hotrodmyk like this.
  4. Dan

Dan

That is a good idea!

5. BJR

BJR

How about the magnetic block heaters that you just stick on the side of the block?

6. stimpy

stimpy

this is what I did to my Hf parts washer with the zep purple stuff that has sodium hydroxide ( caustic ) in it , as the garage gets below 50* and the caustic freezes out solid in the bottom . the warmer the stuff gets the better it degreases and rinses off . I put it on the opposite end of the tank of the pump as it messes the pump up as its a magnet ( coil)

7. k9racer

k9racer

I just point my blower heater so the heat goes to the storage tank on the parts washer. I turn off heater when I start the washer pump to clean my parts.

8. txturbo

txturbo

aquarium heater