Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical T5 transmission overshifting -

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Adam F, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Adam F

Adam F

Recently I installed an S10 T5 behind my pretty stock 1938 flathead ( Offy twin intake, headers ). All went well until day two when I got a little excited. Shifting out out of first gear accelerated hard dumped the clutch and shifted too quickly - quite possibly overshifting also. I really have no idea about this concept!

Anyway, the immediate result was a loud knocking noise in the clutch / bellhousing area. I shut down the motor and towed it home.

I have pulled down the transmission and clutch. Visually I can't see any obvious signts of gear damage or other damage. Can someone explain to me exactly what "overshifting" damage would be? What exactly should i be looking for that would cause this knocking?

I am going to replace the pilot bearing, throwout bearing hoping to eliminate these. There was a fair amount of movement between the counter gear and main shaft- more that 00.002 that is recommended.

All help appreciated!

Adam

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  2. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

You answered your own question....fair amount of movement.....fix is in order

3. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Stock T5s don't have positive stops on the shifter. It's recommended that you get an aftermarket shifter with adjustable positive stops.

4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Supposedly there's internal stops in the trans but I have always had my doubt's. Check the auction site, I've been buying shifters from a guy in Texas that is replicating the Hurst shifter for the S 10 and he has offered one with stops.

5. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

Hurst super shifter with positive stops is what I have in the Fairlane,shifts just pretty good for T5!!

6. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

We fixed plenty of Mustangs under warranty due to overshifting when they 1st came out.

7. tunglegubbin

tunglegubbin

Isn't overshifting bending the shift forks due to excessive force applied to the gear lever?