Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Can't stop trading. Found a keeper though.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by juuraslahti, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Well I was here in the summer asking all sorts of questions about a car I didn't end up keeping. It was a yellow 1951 Chev with a blown 454. Car was just too impractical, costing over 60 dollars an hour to run. Needed paint, wheels, tires, rear end changed and some other stuff. Just figured after spending all that money I would still have a completely impractical car that was stressful to drive.

So I traded it away for a 1962 Pontiac Strato Chief and a 1964 Mercury Comet Caliente.

Someone in my previous thread said why don't I just trade away the 51 and get something I really want.

The 62 is a keeper, its a Canadian Pontiac with a 6 cylinder with period split exhaust, has a nice rumble for such a mellow little engine. Interior has 64 Canadian Pontiac bucket seats and console.
    Pics are below of the 62. Spending some money on the interior and I have access to the proper steering wheel. After some electrical work it should be ready for the spring.

The comet I take possession of in the spring. I will probably trade that away for something 50's or 40,s Pic of the comet is below as well

Attached Files:

turboroadster likes this.
  2. EXCELLENT !!! I always love that era Pontiac. My father has a neighbor that has a 421 SD Catalina lightweight, that we have tried everything to pry out of his grasp.

Pretty sure you will like the drive "as is".....but if ever you wanted to build a tri power high compression Pontiac 428/421/389 four speed......with some badass Jardine/Mickey Thompson/Jahns pieces.......this car would be it !!!!

I'm a Ford guy, so the Comet is cool....but the Pontiac ??? Ahhhhhh.....that is a special piece indeed.

3. That thing's pretty. I wouldn't want to get it dirty. But i would.

4. I agree with Kidcampbell71,that poncho is a cool car and body style.

5. Thanks for the kind words. I will probably change the engine but another 6 will go in. The 194 that is in there is not the original. Would love to find a 261 or 292 and do it up with a bit of speed stuff. The 261 is what is supposed to have been in there.

6. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Excellent Pontiac, definitely a KEEPER! Gary:D

7. That era Pontiac is one of the most beautiful autos ever built. In 1964 I bought my only new car a 1964 GTO, I always wanted a 1962 Catalina with the 421 SuperDuty the GTO was very near only smaller.....

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. Wow a lot of 62 love on here. As a smaller side deal with this guy I was sending my 55 Pontiac project for a 62 Pontiac Grand prix project. We might negotiate something else instead as I am not sure I want two 62's. Not sure how much money I want to pour into the Grand Prix when it looks so similar to the Strato chief.

Attached Files:

• bbm.jpg
      bbm.jpg
      File size:
      169.7 KB
      Views:
    • mmm.jpg
      mmm.jpg
      File size:
      174.6 KB
      Views:
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Nice looking 62. Now do something to fix the poor fit of the hood ;) :)

10. Yes I am going to try adjust the hinges and if that doesn't work I do have another set of hinges I will put in there.

11. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

how could any car cost $60 an hour to operate?

12. Squablow

Squablow

I remember the '51. If you got both of those cars in trade for it, then I think you did incredibly well in your trade.

13. The 51 cost 60 dollars an hour to drive, as I had to put in 94 octane fuel up here in Canada which get rather pricy. It was a bored out, 454 with a 8-71 blower with 2 huge carbs and racing gears. It just loved fuel.

14. Ya I got both in the deal, I am happy, they both need a little bit of tlc, but when ready I think they are going to be a lot of fun to cruise around in.. Both are rust free and I like them except the wheels on the comet, it does come with the original hub caps. I may trade the comet away though, or maybe not, it looks like a fun car to drive.

15. ,,,those Comets are Falcons with a Kard------ butt :D,,,,, but, nice cars :)

16. Hot Rod Cowboy

Hot Rod Cowboy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I remember the thread about the car you traded. I like what you've got now a whole lot better. Congrats man!

17. Thanks, ya I am real happy, just love the lines on the 62, so straight and clean. I go into the garage numerous times in the evening just to look at her and run my hands along them lines. haha
    Ya I may have lost a bit in dollar value, as that was a high money build I lucked into but I think I gained much more considering how much I love the look of it and the fun I think it will bring.