Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 Merc 4 door chop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Krahnic, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Krahnic

Krahnic

Still trimming down the rear window panel for a perfect fit. Lots of little measurements and adjustments still needed before I can weld it together. Also 4 little openings to fill in. I think I'm going to run the roof skin all the way back to the window opening to hide the seam better and so I wont have to cut & flare the top of the window panel to line it up. It's all coming together nicely. DSC_0196a.JPG DSC_0197a.JPG DSC_0198a.JPG

2. Very cool! I personally think chopped 4 door mercs have more flow about them compaired to coupes. Its rare if they (chopped coupes) ever "flow" properly.

Keep up the top work!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. 1950merc

1950merc
    from Butler, PA

What are the differences in the rear bumper and jambs? I never realized there were any.

4. Krahnic

Krahnic

The over rider betwewen the bumper guards had a center line rib on 49s. 50s (and my late 49) had "mercury" on the over rider with no rib. The 49 Merc sitting next to the 50 I cut the donor roof off of had some definite differences in the tail end of the door jambs compared to my 49 or the 50, a little more primative.
    I have noticed that at least 4 out of 5 Merc chops look like shit in the rear window area and the roof tapering to it. I think it is hard to get around without a donor roof. I felt bad killing a Merc that could have been rebuilt, but it was for a good cause.

ratty_aussie likes this.
  5. Krahnic

Krahnic

After a lot of hammering, trimming, bending, measuring & adjustments, I have my rear window frame tacked in place. The roof skin & sides now need some hammer time until they all line up, then I can tack it in place & fill the openings at the front. Then I figure I will be finished with the cool part & almost half way done! The rest will design itself based on what I have built for door frames.

6. Krahnic

Krahnic

7. That's an awesome looking more-door!

8. Krahnic

Krahnic

Roof is all welded. Braces in place in front of rear window. Clean lines, messy garage. I like how it has turned out way better than all the others I have seen. I'm essentially finished chopping the top, it's all doors & windows from here on out. DSC_0338.JPG DSC_0339.JPG DSC_0340.JPG DSC_0341.JPG

kiwijeff likes this.
  9. Looks good Chris. Will you have it back on the road next spring?

10. Krahnic

Krahnic

My next step is repaint the dash, steering column, heater, window surrounds etc. Then re-assemble the dash. I will get a custom headliner installed when the front & back windows are put in. Then I can drive it on nice days until the doors are done. I can't predict the future. It will be on the road as soon as it is ready.

11. Krahnic

Krahnic

Passenger side outer door tops made & in place. These were a little tougher to do than I expected because of the slight curves vs the flat trim lip. I had extra rear door tops for the right extra pieces. Several adjustments were made & it all sits pretty sweet now. I will need to adjust the rain at the A pillar a little for an even gap. I'm going to do the driver's side and the inner door tops before I finish up my welds.

DSC_0405.JPG

12. wicarnut

wicarnut

Lookin Good !

13. Krahnic

Krahnic

Right side inner door tops pieced together. Vertical window rails cut to length & angled in to fit. I found that regular steel wire & CO2 /Argon welds the steel ends to the stainless just fine, but I am getting a Tri-gas & 308L stainless wire for the trim & vent window frames. I still need to mirror this on the driver's side as well as doing the windshield trim & the gap between the doors cover.
    My Father, Don Krahn, died Saturday, Nov 8 2014 in an ATV rollover accident while hunting. He was 81. The chopped 49 Mercury was always one of my Dad's favorite cars. He was a lot of the reason I bought this rusty shell 23 years ago & made it run a few years back. He was not much of a hot rod guy or mechanic, but he would have enjoyed riding in this car again with the chop completed.

DSC_0435.JPG

14. junk

junk

Damn sorry to hear about your dad. Thoughts and Prayers to your family.

15. wicarnut

wicarnut

Very Sorry for your loss.

16. Sorry to hear of your loss Chris, I know it's never easy to lose a loved one. Take some solace in the fact that at 81 he was still out doing something he obviously loved. Many of us don't go nearly that long.

17. bgbdlinc

bgbdlinc

....been following along and what I think is really cool is the 'fastback' vibe that is evident in the side profile pics. So many Merc chops go a bit strange around the rear window area, as you say, but you aced it...... damn cool chop....damn cool

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
    Krahnic likes this.
  18. Krahnic

Krahnic

Here is a before/after of the inner window tops. Driver side door tops together with a few less cuts. I have some stainless mig wire for doing the trim & vent window frames. The upright window rails have stainless spot welded to steel & I found that steel wire welds these 2 together just fine. (Door tops are hard)
    I am looking for 2 more 49 Merc outer door handles. I have decided that shaving door handles makes suicide doors way less cool.
    DSC_0463.JPG DSC_0466.JPG

19. Mercman4life

Mercman4life

Looking real good. Sorry to hear about your dad. He is still watching.

20. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Great thread! I really like the look of your chop! I am also glad you figured out how to post the full size images:)

21. Krahnic

Krahnic

DSC_0586.JPG All of the modified inside pieces nearly ready for primer. I did some leadwork for the first time on a few of the rougher seams.

ratty_aussie likes this.
  22. Krahnic

Krahnic

Out of the garage in the daylight for the first time in over a year! Getting close DSCF0281[1].jpg DSCF0282[1].jpg

23. Looks great Chris.

Krahnic likes this.
  24. The side and rear 3/4 profiles look spot on, I think you have nailed it

Krahnic likes this.
  25. Slopok

Slopok

That has to be the most beautifully proportioned 4 door Merc chop I've ever seen. Looks perfect in every way. Excellent job.

Krahnic likes this.
  26. brady1929

brady1929

Looks great. Sweet merc.

Krahnic likes this.
  27. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

be proud....

Krahnic likes this.
  28. gatz

gatz

nicely done !!

waitin to see it in paint

29. ebfabman

ebfabman

Nice chop on the moredoor. What are your plans for the suspension?

Krahnic likes this.
  30. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

As a lover and chopper of mercs { and any thing else!!} I was a little concerned about the amount you chose to go . But I can honestly say with some authority that you nailed it perfectly!!! Great job. And keep the updates coming ! Larry

Krahnic likes this.