Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Olds 371 on Engine Stand?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Olds Dad, Oct 28, 2014.

1. bchctybob

bchctybob

Ouch. That's a bummer.
    I made up a 1/2" thick semi-circular plate to bolt on the bellhousing surface of my 324, welded on a stub to match my engine stand. When I tried to bolt it up to the arms that came with the stand the CG was so far from the back it was real unstable if I tried to move it. With it bolted to the plate, I have turned it over and back with no trouble so far but now you've got me thinking. It's just a "long block" now. As stated, those things get mighty heavy when all the stuff is assembled. I'm going to bolt the starter housing on and add tabs or something to catch those lower holes.

2. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

I wouldn't weld on it.....with the lower bell you have plenty of bolts in the pattern.....just snug that one..itll be fine..... you risk warpage and more grief than if you left it alone

3. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

I had the same fear & this is how I addressed it. Note the strap on the water pump manifold.
    Basically the same concept as a condom....

Attached Files:

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Listen to Tony, it is no big deal. There are plenty of other bolts there, and that one crack won't affect a thing. The load will not be severe on that one bolt when the trans is bolted on.

Don

5. Olds Dad

Olds Dad

So here's what I did to take the weight off of the already-compromised area. Makes spinning it around a heck of a lot easier too. I know...I know...it only works until it's time to take the front cover off and the crankshaft out - but I'm hoping by then it will be a hell of a lot lighter! IMG_20141117_214742 (1024x768).jpg IMG_20141117_214720 (1024x768).jpg