Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need help with paint type selection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by C-10 CST, Nov 9, 2014.

1. walter

walter

I just finished the paint on the roadster and all of the comments are valid. I did end up with a paint job I am happy with but I did make the neighbors mad, I did overspray three vehicles that I know of. and I could have done the prep work and hired a local Hot Rod shop to spray it and saved a bunch of money and not risked my health.
    Walter

2. C-10 CST

C-10 CST
    from Indy

I think this is exactly what I'm going to do this time. The weather here has gotten so cold that I'm afraid that it is going to be hard to get enough fresh air in the garage and still keep it warm. All the health risks just aren't worth it.

3. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

4. C-10 CST

C-10 CST
    from Indy

OK, I have two more questions.

How does high humidity effect epoxy primer? It is going to finally warm up this weekend but with a good chance of rain.

Can you paint lacquer paint over epoxy primer?

5. Why would you? If your using lacquer paint just shoot it with lacquer primer

6. C-10 CST

C-10 CST
    from Indy

I have already bought some epoxy primer thinking it would do a better job of sealing up a few areas that had surface rust. I not sure if I am going to paint the top in lacquer, I just wanted to know if that is a problem. I have been going back and forth for 2 weeks now on how much of this paint project I want to do myself and how much I might sub out to a professional painter. The weather has gone to hell here and I'm worried about how much I can do without serious health risks.

If it's 57 degrees and raining can I pull in fresh air and paint the epoxy primer without any problems from the humidity?

7. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

DSCF1355-001.JPG DSCF1350-001.JPG im pretty sure i now know what ONE of my problems is . to many toxic paint fumes!!my wife seems to think thats just one of the bad things ive sniffed.. im sure what everyone says is true.but in my mind,whats left of it ,painting outside,in open air cant be that bad.im 55,started painting before 18,started smoking at 13,steddy.my bp is fine g,got most my hair,and dont studder-much.but ive got 3 acres,so my neighbors cant figure out their helth problems,origins. and dogs are cheap,with the eception of my wifes yorkie. this is my last amature attempt

8. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

cars 021.JPG and the one before.NOT A SHOW CAR IN THE BUNCHbut their fun to drive and im still breating,and smoking,drinking,etc..but not while driving!!!!!anymore.but with the 454,4 spd,frnt,and rear independent susp.. i goe by to fast for anyone to figure out what went by

9. Hey if ya wanna get some paint on it find a Maaco. Make sure your body work is good, do some prep, de trim the car as much as ya can....these guys can paint cars...tell em ya want at least 2 good coats of clear on it to sand and polish it.

10. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Most modern paints aren't affected by high humidity, though you have to be sure the metal is clean, and dry, no "sweating" due to the humidity/change in temperature, while spraying.
    Yes you CAN put lacquer over epoxy primer. I did a very nice custom, that the owner insisted on shooting in black Nitrocellulose lacquer, as it is the deepest, blackest black there is. I put it over my usual working base, HOK KP-2 epoxy. Still looked good when I put scallops over it about 16 years later. It was showing signs of micro bubbles, though, because he moved it from his house garage, to a tent outside for a year.
    Epoxy is a much better base for lacquer, for the same reasons it is for other paints, and it does not shrink like lacquer primers do.

11. txturbo

txturbo

Laquer is too much trouble. BC/CC is the easiest to do at home. I always use the same gun for the base and clear without cleaning and haven't noticed any problems. Ive done at least 10 cars this way. The first 3 or 4 were done in my front yard under a huge oak tree. A couple were done inside a metal building, one in a home made paint booth and the rest in my driveway. All turned out really nice and even though they aren't perfect, 95% of the people that look at them can't even see the imperfections. Most of them can't even see them after I point them out.
    Practice spraying on an old fender or hood before you spray anything on your car. Seems most people try to put on the first coat to heavy and have problems. It takes a little practice to be able to go light on the first coat and don't try to put it on thick enough to cover complately. Remember you are going to put on several more coats and it will get covered. I never spray any other type paint now because BC/CC is so easy to fix mistakes.

12. C-10 CST

C-10 CST
    from Indy

Finally IMAG0104.jpg IMAG0105.jpg IMAG0096.jpg IMAG0111.jpg got some primer on the car today.

13. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

sure would like to see how it turned out.looks like you tried to do a good safe job.im sure that's always the best.the only thing is , when I tried to paint inside , I couldn't see ,so under the tree I go. must be nice to have friends to help!!!!im always on my own,as no one will hang.they say I keep having flash/backs to nam.only I was never there!!!paint fumes???????gene Winfield told me to do it this CHOPPED UP 46 FORD SUPER DLX 017-002.JPG way 46 FORD TOP CHOP 021-001.JPG