Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Opinions on Doug Nash 4+1 Transmission

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hdonlybob, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Have a chance to buy a Doug Nash 4+1 transmission that will fit my sbc...I am not familiar with them.
    Any comments pro or con on these transmissions ?
    Thanks for any info. :)

2. Larry T

Larry T

They made them for racing and for street use. The racing transmissions aren't too street friendly (no syncros and straight cut gears).

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  3. Been around for a long time and has been a extremely dependable transmission.

I have a friend that has had one in his '55 Chevy behind a big block and he abuses that car all the time,never a problem. HRP

rascal55 likes this.
  4. I have one for my lakester. If you search the archives here you will find a fair amount of info. That is what I did when searching. Beefy, tough, race bred.

5. oldsman41

oldsman41

like hot rod primer i never had one but a couple of guys at the local car shows run them and nothing but good words about them.

6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Look at the serial number stamped on the case..better come with a shifter and food for thought there is no reverse lock out..

7. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

there nothing but a pain in the ..... where's it at and how much....
    nice find if its at the right price

8. Wow. Blast from the past. You will love it. I had a M22 4.56:1 rear gear high compression small block, that I converted to a Doug Nash 4plus1......3.08:1 rear. Big beefy transmission rods on the linkage, smooth operation, and awesome horsepower handling.....never a problem. Launched like a 456 gear car, with the 1:1 overdrive. I believe 1st gear was 3.27: ???? but that was twenty years ago. You will love that transmission, I promise you. Can't recall any rebuild information, but surely it may very well need it. Do some homework, and buy it well.

My car was a '68 Camaro with 13:1 Ross pistons, Weber aluminum flywheel, 2.05 angle plug heads. $6500 in assembly costs in 1990....ROJAM Performance in Omaha......Kurt built it. They still exist, and will remember my nasty ass race mouse. Don't listen to anyone that tells you, these transmissions suck. I HAD NO ISSUES WHATSOEVER with a 550 horse motor, and a ten inch tire. 3rd gear at fifty mph would bring the rear end around with just a throttle stab. That transmission turned me into the five speed fanatic that I am today.

29EHV8 likes this.
  9. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Yes 1st gear usually a 3.27..But did you have a Nash 4+1 or the Richmond version after Nash sold out I think some wheres in the early 80's...Thats why I asked for serial number, the end batch from Nash were pretty bad, quality wise..

10. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Well I have the Richmond 5 (same as a 4+1) and it is a Bear.. hard to break, Rock Solid, no reverse lock out and ruff and tuff to shift at low rpms. At hi rpms it's very aggressive.
    I love it…

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. I had the case that looked like the Richmond unit. Mine was purchased used in 1988 sometime, from an autocross guy. It was a beefy unit compared to the Muncie it replaced, I had the proverbrial gear cluster issue on the Muncie case that at the time, noone really liked to fix. Nowadays, everyone fixes 'em.

It said Doug Nash 4 + 1 on the side case. No clue what the serial would have said, although I am sure it had one.....something tells me it was stamped below the input shaft ??? Again, twenty years past......I do know the kid who purchased my car has the original drivetrain as I built it, still intact.

Having said that, his dad is a country music producer in Kerrville Texas....so I'm sure he hasn't ripped on it as I did. On slicks, three occasions, maybe a dozen runs.....best run 10.93 126 mph. Tight as a drum on the clutch replacement, four years thereafter. I never rebuilt it, and as before.....I bought it used.....and somewhat flogged as well.

EDIT: I may have put new a new output seal on it......and I believe it was only because of my driveshaft yoke being somewhat different upon original Camaro installation ???

NOT MY PICTURE.....but this is the 4+1 insignia I remember
    [​IMG]

12. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am going to run an 82 model that I bought used. It needed some work and I had trouble getting parts at first. Richmond was in transition of ownership about June and no parts available. I ordered through my local speed shop and the parts came after about 3 months. I think they're back to normal now. I am replaceing the 5th synchro hub assy, so we'll see. I'd check out the parts availability before you jump. Also shifters are expensive, get that with the trans if you can.
    The case splits like a Harley and needs to be assembled with Felcobond or equivalent. Mine was full of RTV

13. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I bought a Nash 4+1 brand new in 1980 [$1850?]...from Nash, took 6 months to get it after pissing at them several times on the phone and the effort for them to sell me the yoke was like pulling teeth..From day one the front seal leaked [I thought was the engine rear seal] which took out the clutch, never noticed it while I just drove around to run the trans in..When I went to pull a hole shot I found the clutch was toast..Front seal bore on trans was machined off by .015 so I fixed that and the shift fork shaft seals and the rear seal also..Didn't leak at the case parting line, surprise!..After catching reverse a couple times coming out of 5th I made an automatic reverse lock out...At one point the thing refused to shift with out some confusion so I drained the oil and some stuff came out with it..Flushed it out with ATF and refilled with Mercon 11 and then it stayed intact and behaved ok but I never really beat on it till I relaced it when Richmond came out with the 6spd in 96' or so (?).. I bought one out of Summit [$2850], sent me the right box with the wrong trans in it!! Since it was drop shipped from Richmond; Summit was in shock, Richmond wanted to know where the "other" trans went, I wanted the right one! Finally arrived, Richmond still wanted to know where the "other" trans went...So far no leaks [pretty good at 18' yrs old], I think it should shift better but I'm out of practice so it is probably [ah, entirely?] my in put, or lack of..The 4+1 resides under the bench resting at 34 yrs old which I was going to put in an OT car but decided on new T5-z instead so I wouldn't have to change rear gears..Shifts sweet..

14. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Curious, you find a serial number? Maybe top front of case..Who owns Richmond now? I think I read Motive gear out of Italy...

15. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I last called Richmond, they gave me a number in Ohio to call. Could that be Motive? My ser. no. is 2645AB

16. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Thats the number on the case? Mine is A812..

17. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Thanks for all the help....
    I did do a search before I posted this, but there was such a wide variety of comments that I wanted a fresh update.
    I think I will pursue this.. If I can come up with the bucks.

18. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep. It's on the top front of both halves next to the bell housing. When I first contacted Richmond tech last spring, the guy told me it was an old trans; he thought 82. The only significant wear is on the 5/rev syncro hub where the shift collar rides. I'm replacing the mainshaft ball bearings also.

19. sparky01

sparky01
    from wisco

liberty gears in mich. can make you about any part you would need for one. bought several gears from them. sometimes on ebay there are parts also. long vertical gate shifters are about the best imo.

20. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I paid $1500 plus shipping on e--y including the shifter and I'm going to have $2000 in it when I'm done. That's only about $850 from a new one. I probably paid too much.

21. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  22. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the link. I've used synthetic gear lube forever, mostly Amsoil, but I couldn't get a cross to GL 6. I figure that TLube is OK, but I can't find any specs. I may use the Redline, as I want easy access to what I use.

23. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Well, Ol' Dumb Ass blew this one...
    Took me a day too long to come up with the cash....it is gone.
    Sold for $800
    Was an original Dough Nash, and had all the linkage as well as shifter gate. Just missing shifter...came out of a 327 car...
    CRAP FaceBook Helmet on Wall.jpg

24. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I feel for ya..Been there enough times..

25. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry to hear that; that was a deal.

26. goodturn

goodturn

I had a Nash 4+1 in my 33 Willys and it was a great tranny on the track, but I wouldn't have wanted it in a street car.

27. oldolds

oldolds

Hmmm. I thought the transmissions in 85ish Corvettes were DN 4+1 units. I could be wrong though.

Just looked them up it is a DN 4+3 in an 85 corvette.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  28. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I think you are right or at least in the ball park as I think t5's came out late 80's but DN may have been [pretty sure was] in Richmond Gears hands by then..

29. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 4+3 tranny '84-'88 Corvettes used was basically a B/W Super T-10 4-speed (now owned by Doug Nash) with an automatic 3 speed DN OD attached to the rear. Research shows it was very problematic.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  30. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Yah, I had kinda heard that also....
    My intent was to maybe get it and then to to a higher rear end for better mileage..running a 3:36 now and getting ~12-14 when I drive 55mph, but drop to about 10mpg if I run at ~60mph...
    Current Saginaw has the 3:11 low gear, and with my sbc I really like that.
    Thanks for the info...