Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 hard top build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cruisin54, Nov 9, 2014.

1. cruisin54

cruisin54

Well I figured now was just as good of a time to begin a build thread. I'll give some back ground on the car and what I have done since purchasing it. Also some future plans and of course lots of questions.

Car is a 54 bel air hard top. It has a 305 chevy small block with edlebrock intake and carb. I believe a 700r4 tranny and a s10 rear end. The rear is lifted a little with some wider rear tires. Car has had the headlight trim ring frenched, which sucks cause I can't access the adjusting screws, and tail lights were also frenched and frenched incorrectly. Body molding had been shaved as well and door handles.

So far aside from cleaning the car and correcting some minor issues in the engine bay such as throttle linkage bracket, shortening some hoses, adding fuel filter. I have purchased new tail light housings to put back original. I like the chrome trim and that will help break up all the paint on the rear. However I have to section the fender to replace the openings to mount them correctly. I'll post pics. I also got a speedway 21 circuit wiring harness that I have been slowing working on. Very time consuming cause as I go I am trying to replace some of the grommets and gaskets so everything is sealed as it should be.

To finish the wiring I have to find new park lamp sockets, decide I and order a gauge set up, fix tail light mounts, and figure out the steering column. My horn and steering wheel is shot so it needs to be replaced. I replaced the turn signal switch in the column but may end up replacing the whole steering column idk yet. Was looking for suggestions. Any how I'll post a bunch of pics and will update my progress as I can.

Future: would like to swap rear end to narrower rear end so I can lower the car wheel steel wheels and white walls. Upgrade front suspension and possibly bag the car. New interior and replace all gaskets around doors, trunk etc so car is sealed nicely. Body work and paint possibly sea foam green.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1415567664.883976.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1415567690.012406.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1415567714.809799.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1415567745.395044.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1415567767.263080.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1415567785.899714.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. cruisin54

cruisin54

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1415567830.581453.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1415567850.928153.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1415567891.720076.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1415567906.776482.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1415567922.916421.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1415567939.709482.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1415567952.626005.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1415567974.985126.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1415567991.274202.jpg

3. NICE START MAN.. KEEP UP THE WORK

4. atomickustom

atomickustom

Wow, you really gotta get that ass down!
    Very nice looking car once it sits right. Great place to start.

5. cruisin54

cruisin54

Yea I do, been contemplating stopping with the wiring and changing focus to the suspension. I want to do a mustang II kit and of course swap rear end to lower it. Also add power brake booster to firewall and a new steering column. A lot of freaking money but thinking if I don't do that first then I'll end up with wiring in my way. I want it to function well and be a solid daily driver.

6. San_Jose_Speed_&_Chrome

San_Jose_Speed_&_Chrome

ya know mustang II's are not as pricey as youd think. 1895 for coil sprung 2395 for bagged including bags from us here at Gambino Kustoms. if youve got any questions about how to do the suspension on it give us a call, we have done one or two of those things lol.
    Rick
    Gambino Kustoms 408 479 4812

7. cruisin54

cruisin54

Yea I have been looking at the gambino kits. Also been trying to visualize it as far as adding powering steering and power brakes. Guess mostly I'm stuck with making a decision and going with it. Still need some additional tools at my house to be able to do the work. Unfortunately I'm not blessed like some with a shop to work inside and lacking a welder and stuff. It's been a slow process getting this going and having never built one before trying to discover the best approach so I'm not doing a bunch of work twice.

0nedon and Black Clover Custom like this.
  8. cruisin54

cruisin54

I also considered keeping stock suspension and bagging it instead of doing the mustang II kit. Really unsure and have been trying to do some research to figure out what I will be happy with.

9. atomickustom

atomickustom

Man, if you don't have a welder then I don't know about swapping to a Mustang II suspension. The only total bolt-on deal I know of is Chassis Engineering, although there might be a couple more these days. Dropped spindles on your original suspension would be a total bolt-in and drop you several inches if you also add bags or dropped springs.
    Do you need a different rear axle, or just different wheels and tires?
    A lot of us have S-10 4x4 rear axles under our cars and they fit very well. (Has to be from a 4-wheel drive S-10 pickup or Blazer - the 2-wheel drive rears are much more narrow.)
    I believe '70s Nova will also work nicely, but getting hard to find these days.

10. cruisin54

cruisin54

Well I'm buy a welder or borrow one when the time comes for that part of the project. As far as I know I have a 10 bolt s10 rear end and it seems to be real wide for the car. Of course the wheels and tires on the car are wide. I am unsure what the application was that the rear end was pulled from.

11. Nice man, nice, but when I saw all that wiring laying there I was ready for a stiff drink.lol.Bruce.

12. jeta12

jeta12

I was not aware GM made a 54 hardtop. I need to do some research....I would love to have a 54 hardtop!! I have a 210.

Good luck!!

13. cruisin54

cruisin54

Yea if I'm not mistaken I believe they had actually called it a sport coup. That may be why u didn't realize they had it.

14. Slopok

Slopok

The first Chevy Hardtop was introduced in 1950, Ford followed in 1951 with the Victoria. My dad had a 51 Ford and said it didn't feel as solid as a sedan. Sure wish I had it now.

15. jeffyg82

jeffyg82

I am almost done with the 53 belair hardtop I'm doing so I have quite a bit of experience with this stuff. Used a southern rods mii kit I would not recommend them customer service sucks and instruction are vague as heck and parts are nothing to write home about... i would recommend Fatman fabrications they have a drop cross member so if you're planning on bags you can get it lower when aired out and be able to drive it lower... as for the rearend ford explorer 4x4 is a nice fit.... mine is a drum brake out of a 91 I have a 8.5 wheel and almost a 10 inch tire and I'm lowered about 7 inches. .. good luck I'm gonna follow this thread I love 53-54 hardtops

16. jeffyg82

jeffyg82

Here's a pic of mine

Attached Files:

17. cruisin54

cruisin54

Car looks good bro thank you for the tips

18. cruisin54

cruisin54

Haven't really done any work on the car lately to post a update. However I know everyone already has one but I picked up a floor jack today. Sold my old one a few years back and haven't had space to have one since. So got one picked up today and gonna try and get a mig welder soon. Then I'll be able to tear into the car some more. I did get some new tail light sections to mold to the body. The previous work done to the car consisted of cutting the mounts out so I couldn't mount my new tail lights. Found a guy that cut his out of his car and sent them to me. Here is a couple pics. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420602762.269243.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420602794.302017.jpg

19. Surman30

Surman30
    from Washington

That car looks like crap. LOL If I was there i'd help you fix it.

20. missysdad1

missysdad1

If you're just now getting around to buying a floor jack I'd suggest you re-think this project before you go any further. Otherwise you'll run out of funds and enthusiasm long before the car is back on the road. Happens far too often.

Here's my "greybeard" suggestions:

1. Finish the wiring NOW, not later.

2. Do whatever it takes to get the REAR END down to a normal ride height. Hopefully it's not been so butchered that this cannot be done by using stock '54 springs.

3. Install stock wheels and tires and get the car back on the road.

4. Worry about the rest of the modification stuff AFTER THAT.

I've seen too many really nice builder cars like yours ruined by over-enthusiasm coupled to under-funding by fellows like yourself. Great car, do it right.

X38 likes this.
  21. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Nice future car!
    No shop needed. Im working on mine outside. Get some pvc and tarp it. Easy shop fix. I also run a good mig welder uses 110. Flux core or wire with gas. Easy and cheap.
    Good luck on that project. Looks fun.
    Check the rearend from flange to flange, maybe those rims are just offset too much.

22. cruisin54

cruisin54

Lol I know you would!

23. cruisin54

cruisin54

I appreciate the advice you have given. However don't let my excitement over me purchasing a jack fool you on what I have and don't have. Yes I have tools and a few things on my shopping list that I will need. Most of those I already have access to however I am getting my own set up at my house. I haven't prior to now because I just recently purchased my home, before then I haven't had space to keep all of what I once had.

The rear will be lowered as soon as I get a set of wheels and tires for the car. I have been taking care of a few other issues before going further with the car. It is not a hack job on the rear, it will be as simple as swapping the shackles out once I have adequate rims and tires. The are currently too wide and stick out past the fender.

I also have a lot to learn while building this car and fully plan on doing so. I could simply drop the car off at a nearby shop and let them do it all but that is not what I want. I fully understand that parts of the build will be costly and many things will change along the way. However that is the fun of it, the process of getting it how I want it will forever be a memory that can't be taken. I look forward to sharing and learning here on this forum with all of you.

24. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Your car looks like a great start , all you need to do is complete your plan & it'll be great . Take your time & do it right , once !

I didn't see anyone address the elephant in the room ... what's the plan with the hood scoop ?

25. SJ13

SJ13
    from PNW

@cruisin54 I recently bought my 1st project car also and have limited room I went down to Costco and bought a 10x20 insta-garage aka steel-frame canopy for less than $300 it not garage-majal but it keeps the car protected and I can work on the car rain or shine, I hung 2 8'flourescent lights down the center and a couple outlets down the sides ... works ok for me now, time and patience are very essential in getting the project done ...

26. cruisin54

cruisin54

Idk about all I can do is get another hood. It was cut for the scoop so for now it will remain and I'll cross that bridge later on. This really isn't the kind of car to have a hood scoop on in my opinion but for now it's there lol.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  27. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

LOL - I know what ya mean - gotta pick your battles . I was hoping you wouldn't say that YOU put it there . Like you said , it doesn't really fit the car's style .

28. cruisin54

cruisin54

Got all the wiring hooked up today and was able to start it finally! Had to replace the starter it was shot. Also still need to clean up the wiring and get it all tucked in nicely and shorten a few. One step closer to at least being able to cruise it some again.

29. Surman30

Surman30
    from Washington

Glad to hear that you decided to finish up the wiring and get it running. Congrats!

30. cruisin54

cruisin54

Got all the wiring buttoned up today and took her for a spin. Still would like to clean up the wiring under the dash better than what I have it now but she is rolling again.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1423099680.224626.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1423099700.951131.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1423099733.101434.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1423099780.620726.jpg

Attached Files: