Register now to get rid of these ads!

82 year old rusty frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Runnin shine, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I need one more old fender to make a complete set to run with my PU
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1414936045.646928.jpg
    I do have another spare but it won't match up, it's a four instead of a six.

I've been wanting to make this lame joke forever now, it won't leave me be, Wyatt.

"I need my mirror boy"

blackandgold likes this.
  2. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Man theres one thing all the weld gurus left out grounding my welder was welding like shit the ground lug had came loose and was making contact sometimes !My ol welding machine would do this I had to go inside and tighten the terminals on the output strip ! be careful theres some large capicitors in there !! I think that black paint can hide aluminum radiators .My wife spell checks me sometimes but I build hot rods I am not a english teacher lol !! Good luck your project is looking great . Not everyone starts out with a 32 roadster or a 3 window most of my 5 window was done with a 140 lincon welder and 75 /25 co argon mix .

3. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Thanks Terry for the support and advice. I agree with not everyone gets a roadster or coupe line. I actually didn't settle on a pickup other than it not having a Ford frame and being pretty junky but fair priced. I wanted a PU based on vision and concept. I don't really want a black roadster like everyone else, other than its value. Although I am going to try very hard to get my grimy paws on a Deuce Tudor or Vicky for my next build "Hubba Hubba" a tribute to my Grandfather.
    I have never welded with this straight Co that I recall before, bottle is empty now, I don't think I'll go back to it either. My welder is a AutoArc 130 by Hobart and it is one of the smallest and worst welder's I've ever used. It was a terrible mistake purchase where I wasn't as proactive in my research as I normally am. I had borrowed a friends Hobart140 before I got this one and liked it fine and thought this one would be similar at a lesser price, wrong. The ground and other connections are all secure. Doesn't matter now I have to get a new feed motor, it won't run any more unless I give it a bump with a little pick. I'm gonna fix it but I'm giving up on the welder and going to upgrade, no more settling on this build I've worked too hard on it to take short cuts any longer. Wyatt

"I need my mirror boy"

4. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Well thanks a lot gwhite and Butch Clay! Now I'm thinking about brush painting my truck as if it hasn't been enough work already.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1415042847.152160.jpg
    I finished spray bombing my last two rims today. I hope to mount them once they are dried up real good. I can't believe I put off finishing'm for so long they only needed color. I only got off my butt cause it's been getting cold here. I paint them in the yard to keep the mess and smell in the garage down, I love it but wife hates it, you know that old chestnut. It was windy today so there's some bugs in the finish just the way I like it, not too purdy. I'm still thinking about hand polishing them to get a more tired look. I don't want to delve into the "self made patina bit" to far. It's got to have fluidity and I'm not re-plating every bit of nickel or stainless either.
    Started to mess with my front drums and hubs. I'm trying to use the thread on hex style grease cap on my later hubs cause I like the way they look. Will see.

"I need my mirror boy"

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  5. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1415465109.374930.jpg
    I hope someone was hit in the head with this to defend a loved one or a person in need. I sure do have my work cut out bringing it back to life.

"I need my mirror boy"

6. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Well the Mrs has me back on house projects making a big push for the kids B-day party next month. I was at one of the big box stores today and veered over to the stains and wood treatment section. I've been thinking hard on how I am going to finish my red oak bed, cab, floors and rear bumper in a way that looks similar to the deck of the flatbed trailers from my days of drivin the big trucks. Well MinWax has a new finish called old oak and it 's grey in tint with a hint of redness. $3.99 buried deep into a long receipt isn't gonna hurt nobody for a good cause. I tested some on a piece of scrap and the effect was too faint. Then I add a little maroon which happens to be in the realm of the body color I want to use( I thought about staining the wood maroon before but think it might seem to custom now) this mostly darkened the grey to a Lehman but to the trained eye it added to the red hues as well, part of what I want. Next I test it on the bumper cause I could always make a new one it cost zero so far.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1415592464.997805.jpg
    Although it doesn't look authentic yet it does look way better than plain oak. The pic doesn't do it honest. I am going to think on it some more. Maybe it needs some dirt and old oil rubbed in before sealing. What do you think?

"Daddy runs shine"

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  7. ski

ski
    from San Diego

Since you asked for opinions.......................I would go a different route with the bumper.

Runnin shine likes this.
  8. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Thanks ski. I'm pretty adamant about the bumper. You have to remember this pickup's theme. I remember poor'r folk having wooden bumpers on their work/farm trucks all the time when I was a kid( and I'm not that old) and I don't even live in the south. I don't think I'm reinventing the wheel here with stock car driver by day-moonshine runner by night concept, I think I read about it in a $.10 book somewhere. Again this PU is going to be a hill folk family/farm/bootlegging truck,the latter identifying its hot rod roots.
    I was asking about fit and finish. I don't want it to look like I slapped on a 2by4 you know? But I also don't want it to look Doane Spencer/Rolling Bones either.
    I'll keep it on for awhile longer, but if your right, 4 bolts, wall ah! There's a spreader bar under there. I'm also humble enough to admit you were right and will be the first to say it, so keep subscribed, Wyatt.

"I need my mirror boy"

9. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Well things have definitely slowed down. Besides working on a walk in closet for the wife's wardrobe collection and a drastic temperature drop outside. I thought I was opening a box containing a NOS sector and bushings for my 33/34 passenger steering box today, I was disappointed, again
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1416523430.597484.jpg
    Clearly a big truck sector, right? This is the second failed attempt at using a small early 30s side steer solution. The first was buying a 32 box for a song that once showed up was about 30% larger than mine, now this. Feeling a little unmotivated today, bummer.

"I need my mirror boy"

10. nightmoves

nightmoves

On a sidebar,nice Tele's.With all that twang,might as well put some bottom end up there.Add a four string.

11. jim mchargue

jim mchargue

Nice build..great attention to details...I also have 2 of those finned delco coils...too kool!

12. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Here you are nightmoves, not to stray too far off tradition. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1416534264.847574.jpg

"I need my mirror boy"

13. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Thanks Jim, you just reminded me of something I could get back to finishing while I'm welder down.

"I need my mirror boy"

14. This is looking good! :cool:I am still bummed by all the steel toe work boots I have tossed over 40 years!:rolleyes:

Atwater Mike and Runnin shine like this.
  15. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I know you guys would like to see some fab work going on as would I. But alas it is not to be. I almost finished putting a new wire feed motor in my welder, not that I intend to use it any longer. Trying to close a deal on one of my guitars to fund the new one. Today me and the tikes came home to a box of 32 pickup panels, it looked like this...
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1416864589.095213.jpg
    Thanks JunkHunter for the badass afghan! I think in my spare time I'll make some of those old-not-cool hats with Hamms, Shlitz, and Pabst cans, in between silk screening a "patiently waiting" shirt for Larry.

"I need my mirror boy"

16. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I don't see any P90's hanging on the wall. ;) Can't make 'traditional' music without some howl out of P90's and a tube amp..... Nice guitar collection you have there.

blackandgold likes this.
  17. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I've rocked the P90s in one of my old SGs and a 50s 125 hollow body. If I would have kept all the money I waisted on different guitars through the years, I could actually muster up the funds for a Tudor for my next build "HubbaHubba".

"I need my mirror boy"

blackandgold likes this.
  18. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

So I've been scrambling up the pot quite a bit lately. I hope I don't loose my way. Monday I'm going to drop off my rear axle, front drums, four bones to get sandblasted. Then I'm gonna go mount and balance my wheels and tires.
    The real point of wasting any readers time with this post is this. I've begun to work on getting ready to assemble the engine for my truck. I bought a bigger cam, short travel hydraulic roller lifters(i had solids before but i want drive this thing alot), H-beam rods, and am going to get a new longer stroke crank and lighter flywheel then take a trip to get the hole set up balanced. I didn't set out to build a 347 I already had a 331. I had found new pistons on ePay from a guy that when I got around to measuring the Compression height, i realized they wouldn't work with my 5.315 rods and 3.250 stroke crank. So now I'm working on a combo that may kick out another 25-35 hp. The reason for going with a bigger cam was to move the torque peak up to minimize blowing the tires off. I am trying to guesstimate all the variables of this build, gearing, tire height, truck weight, carb size and even cam degree to get this thing to perform the way I want ahead of time to limit tearing back into it. After the first of the year I think I will get at porting my new heads and intake so I can build the engine this winter.
    So now I am looking for another pair of 15" Mercs that are 6" or 7" wide for slicks. My chassis fab buddy is going to bend me a chromoly hoop I can tuck away real good in my cab. Finally I've begun to plan out the final rear piece to my x-member that will tie the to halves reward of the tail shaft together and the drive shaft will go through to act as a safety loop, why all this you ask? Why? because I want to go to them there HAMB DRAGS!!!

"I need my mirror boy"

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  19. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Can you say Finally! ?
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1417470204.847109.jpg
    You gotta love tape weights.

"I need my mirror boy"

Atwater Mike and greaser like this.
  20. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

You really need to hold out for a 220 welder next time around. I've been following a link on the WelderWeb where they've been testing the limits of the 110volt machines. Even if you get it to the point that you are making "prettier" welds, they just don't get sufficient penetration when the metal you are working with is more than 1/8". Love the build, and I share your pain in working with a nonexistent budget.

21. NONEXISTENT BUDGET..........I have one of those.

Runnin shine likes this.
  22. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Is it childish to find excuses to sneak into the garage to check out your fresh wheels and tires when they work out like or better than you hoped for?

"I need my mirror boy"

Atwater Mike likes this.
  23. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

New 220v welder should be on the way soon. Just waiting on payment for a guitar I sold. I also had some bites on a Tremec T5 I have on CsList, the last one being some sort of web scam, aughhhhh.

"I need my mirror boy"

24. Mart

Mart

I think that's where we are at an advantage here in the UK. 240V right from the house socket.

Mart.

25. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Maybe, but there still must be a wide range of capability from the cheap box store welders to the semi-professional level and using MIG with or without shielding gases?

26. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Yep, the grass is really greener on the other side of the pond. Mart, do you mind if I plug a extension cord for my welder from here to your place?

"I need my mirror boy"

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
    38nailhead likes this.
  27. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Your still ahead of me, my rusty frame is under the snow out in the cow pasture. I learned a hard lesson about extension cords with aeration fans for the grain bins. I went from a 3 hp to a 5 hp electric fan and kept the same 100 ft of cord. There are charts on what size of wire you need for the power draw over distance if you want to google them. Long story short, if you try to draw too much current through too small of a wire, you not only risk melting the wire, but damaging the machine as well. The one 110 volt MIG I borrowed before I bought my 220 would trip 20 amp breakers and needed 30... that's a serious power draw for normal extension cords under 14 guage. I've got a Fender acoustic that doesn't like my bad playing...nice wall of wood there.

28. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

So I shouldn't run some of the dark green and brown holiday cords to Mart's or Guernsey Boy's?

"I need my mirror boy"

29. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

No problem with that. Just plug your LED xmas lights into it, not your new welder.

Runnin shine likes this.
  30. Mart

Mart

The ocean temperatures are rising enough without Shine string a cord under it and warming it up more! Think of my electric bill!

Mart.

Runnin shine likes this.