Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The "Physchedelic Parrot"

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by J.Ukrop, Nov 14, 2014.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

The "Physchedelic Parrot"

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
    flamingokid likes this.
  2. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thats one FAR-OUT parrot! I love it. Never saw a pic of it before in either guise. I do remember a similar coupe called the banana pretzel ,that was just about as freaky. Strange times in hot rod land,back then....i miss it !

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I spent so much of my life being absolutely repulsed by way over the top paint schemes like this. After studying Watson's work lots closer, (mostly his motorcycle stuff) I have come to appreciate the craziness of it all so much more.

4. I was young so I remember the sixties!

5. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Hate to knock someone's pride and joy, but pretty horrible...lettering looks cool though. No comparison to Mr. Watson's work.

1927graham likes this.
  6. Well.... I have to agree with hugh m, just never cared for this type of paint job. It's a far cry from what Watson's used to put out. As I recall, this type of painting didn't show up until the late 60's, thus making it a little off topic bro.

1927graham likes this.
  7. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

I can't help it. I dig it.

8. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Where was Bill Puchelt from?

9. I gotta weigh in on this style of painting,it screams 1960's ISCA show car. HRP

10. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Although I dont really dig the paint (you nailed it on the head with "lifesavers" package)...I would however LOVE to roll into a corvette show in this, just to see the reactions

11. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

That whole era was about crazy looking way out there paint jobs.

The Lace look was big for years and the more colors you used the wilder it seemed to become.

Jimbo

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

while you would have to be a fool to paint a Vette like that these days if it were to pop up at a show all lacquer checked and rust on the chrome most HAMB people would be flipping out about how cool it is.
    I doubt the same reaction will ever come from seeing a 37 ford painted turquoise with pink dry brush graphics and a tan tweed interior. the 60's were cool.

13. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Just because something is from the sixties doesn't mean it was good....I realize lots of elitists don't like homebrewed cars that arent perfect, but sometimes tasteless badly applied paint like this is timelessly ugly.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

1927graham likes this.
  14. hotrawd

hotrawd
    from lima,ohio

Ugly then, ugly now.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

The only reason I bring up Watson is that he did a very similar paint scheme on a show Triumph in '62 or so called "The Enchanted Parrot". Same reaction to that as well, an initial wretch, then acceptance that it was part of history...

16. I suspect at that time, a paint job had to be this far over the top to be noticed at an indoor show! Just like the Mona Lisa, (think Watson's work) one should look at the quality of the work, even if one does not like the style or period.

17. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Gotcha....actually I hate it when experts nitpick stuff, but here I couldn'help it:)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. Well said!!

19. Are those Avanti tail lights ? Hmmm.....the funny thing is that I don't believe I would have liked it in my youth.....but today....I would take that car as is, and have a grand time with it. I love wild Corvettes.

To me, the owners that alter the factory lines in a 'Vette.....tell all the other pretentious Corvette crowd to go and screw themselves.....or as the great maker of this wonderful land of OZ/HAMB likes to say.....GFY !!! That's about as GFY to the Corvette crowd then and now that one can do. I like it !

wingnutz likes this.
  20. abc123

abc123

They look like '63 Buick Riviera tail lights installed upside down. The '63s had a round tri-shield badge in the center. The nearly identical '64 had an oval badge in the center with the Riviera "R" logo.

21. flamingokid

flamingokid

I used to love cars love this when I was a child,hated them as a young man,and now I'm starting to appreciate them as I approach middle age.

22. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Flamingokid : I guess some of us(me) just forgot to grow up, in some ways!I wouldn't have the guts to actually do it to mine though.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  23. 51 BIRD

51 BIRD

I remember seeing that 'Vette at the NY Coliseum winter car show and thinking "they spelled Psychedelic wrong..."

J.Ukrop likes this.
  24. Well......there is a William Puchelt that lives in Massachusetts that appears to have lived in Staten Island, New York at one point.....76 years of age. Anyone with "on point" information to add ? Wonder if it is the same guy ? AND>>>>>where be the cah' ?

25. PRE48V-8

PRE48V-8
    from H.G., CA

Hey J.J. editors...the writer of the magazine feature on this uniquely colored 'Vette caught the pinstriper/lettering artists mispelling of the word "Phsychedelic" on the car door (as seen in the heading of the photo image of the original article). Are you aware of any reason why the word psychedelic (correct spelling) was spelled this way on the side of the car? Something to do w/the car owner or it's background? Maybe just what it is, a simple mispelling of a word? Just curious......

26. RoadsterRod1930

RoadsterRod1930
    from NEPA

Makes my pants feel funny, love these old wild jobs... Been waiting for the right car to do the same treatment to

27. Speaking of psychedelic C2 Vette's ...

Vette painted by Himsl (photo by Bruce Olson).jpg
    Paint by Art Himsl​

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
    bowie likes this.
  28. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Pot?

29. BISHOP

BISHOP

ACID, not weed.

jadegrenade 51 likes this.