Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1937 Ford Cabriolet Custom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 2tall2beahotrodder, Jul 20, 2014.

1. This happened the past weekend. I was running out of room and a shed needed to happen sooner or later.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was able to get some metal work done. I finished the lip where the inner wheel well will be built from. Had to make it in 3 pieces but the gap on the rear fender is super tight.
    Still debating on smooth fenders or removable..
    Quarter patch is tacked, and the bottom fender patches are welded in. Started my inner wheel well..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My rude and crude hand made bead roller. I cant justify buying a fancy bead roller yet. 3 dollars for some master links was all I needed to buy.
    [​IMG]

catdad49 likes this.
  2. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

3. ta2d_White_trash

ta2d_White_trash
    from Conway, Sc

I like rude and crude lol. Great project and great work!

4. Maineac 1

Maineac 1

Looking good !! Nice to have that extra room to move around and work in! Thanks for sharing and keep moving on !!

5. One panel at a time...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ordered a set of bias and rims from coker.. I have a banged up set of rear fenders on the way, to patch the back section of the ones on the car. Still trying to figure out this wooden buck for the deck lid..

steve

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  6. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

Nice proportion and metal skills !

7. street rod lover

street rod lover
    from taylor,mi.

steve
    how are the fenders .are you able to use them for the project.
    chris

8. Not sure on the fenders. I just finished the inner structure for the trunk lid, ill play with the fenders this weekend and see how much is left.

Progress pics soon to come

9. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Wow, nice work! lookin good Steve!

10. David Totten

David Totten

I dont think you would need to go to the trouble of making a wooden buck. If you have a English wheel you could just shape a panel and use the surrounding trunk metal as a guide. Then mark it from the inside. and turn the edge on your bead roller with a tipping die. The inner structure is actually the hardest part.

11. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

Wow, this is an awesome and inspiring thread!

12. stephane-rod

stephane-rod
    from france

13. Well its been a while for progress pictures. This back half has been a ton of work but I think im ready for the trunk skin. Ill have to play with the gaps a little more after the skin is bent over the edge but at least its roughed out.
    Have duty this weekend but Ill hope to play with the fenders and have the rot fixed by thanksgiving. Still debating on molding the rear fenders and if so, Whats the best way so cracking later on doesn't happen. Weld them straight to the quarter or should I put curved panels between them? I suppose I should start stocking up on lead..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was able to pick up a set of bad coupe fenders. Good shape ones were way to expensive for my budget so ill have to slice and dice to make a good set. Thanks to chris and tim who hooked me up. Crazy to see old patch jobs..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Copper pipe screwed in for reinforcements..

catdad49 and hacknwhack like this.
  14. Sorry for the blurry photos..

15. CadMad

CadMad

...on the bright side. You'll get a fortune recycling all that copper.

16. Mirko 73

Mirko 73
    from Roma

17. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

Wow, you're really bringing that car back from the death. I would't weld the rear fenders into the body, looks better imo, kinda more "old skool".

18. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Great read and skills, subscribed.

19. Dynamite project! Nice metal fab work.:cool:
    Q:just curious, how much ya' got wrapped up in that shed??? I really need one to clean out my 2 car garage.
    JT

20. Some more progress. Had Mr. Pat Pryor over for thanksgiving and we re fixed a few gaps and started to get come crown for the deck lid skin. Unfortunately he had to leave before we could finish. I hope to have him back soon so we can actually see what this looks like with a complete back end.
    Until then ill keep playing with the fenders and work on the cowl.

Thanks Pat!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If any of you fella's have Instagram my handle is hotrodsteve13 . I update that page more frequently.

catdad49, 39custom, the man and 3 others like this.
  21. Eric H

Eric H

Absolutely amazing work.

22. CadMad

CadMad

Keep on wheeling on. Looks great. That is definately a two person job, but it is getting there. Will be satisfying to see it done.

23. Amen; steady as she goes........The crown on the trunk lid looks great!

24. Wow. Those layout lines got roached ! I'll bet your shoulders felt like spaghetti. Sure does look good laying down the back of that thing....don't it ? Guess that's where creek-y joints come from. :) ha

It looks fantastic sir. Dumb joke, but great car !!!!

25. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Fantastic metal work. After all that work I'd have a problem welding the fenders to the 1/4s but it is going to be a custom.

26. Enjoying the great work, good job!

27. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

X2

28. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

29. Thanks for the kind words guys. Yes after 5-10 minutes of wheeling we both needed a break to rest our arms. And im still debating smoothing these rear fenders in.. I have a ton more work to do till then, so ill keep it on the back burner

30. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

Real nice work.....don't mold in the fenders! (My two cents)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

catdad49 likes this.