Register now to get rid of these ads!

1923 Dodge Brothers Roadster Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ralph Moore, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Verminator

Verminator

I got a 23 DB Roadster, but the body is ROUGH.... I love the way the frame's so narrow in front, then curves out to follow the cowl and body. Mine's gonna get a 250 maverick 6 cyl /auto ..lotta projects ahead of it though.

2. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

Yea, same here. I've got to finish the Willys first, then get the 47 Ford running & complete body work, then I can start in on the roadster. It will give me plenty of time to think about which way to go with it. Winter's coming, so I'll have plenty of time.

3. Here's my two cents worth, as you are in Alaska why don't you go old school with an old Dodge army truck motor. There should be a few of those kicking around up there or a 302 GMC also army issue.The rest of the components could be late model.
    My own project , a 1929 dodge woody, will use a chrysler straight 8 with a hemi 4 speed and a jag rearend. Old with newer just because. Happy building ,Rob.

4. BStoltz

BStoltz

The article was in Hot Rod a few years back...... and was one of the ten best cars of the year at that!!!! if i remember right the guy built the thing on a very tight budget too i want to say around 7k

5. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe skis on the front, blown hemi, tag axle with chains so you can make a beer run on the snow. Looks like a great start keep us posted

6. Lashcat

Lashcat

Ralph,

Thanks for the great deal on the 23 Roadster! Sorry FunnyCar for stealing it away.

My goals and dreams for this car are a bit different than Ralph's. This is going to be a long distance build for my son and I. My son has a Custom shop down in GA (MadFAb Customs). I plan to crate it up and send it down to him. He is already planning a custom frame with air bagged independent front suspension and possibly a Jag rear. I am work on a 60's model Hemi for it. If that falls through we will go with a new Hemi. When we finish it will be the the center piece in his showroom.

7. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Look at the very first issue of Hop Up (1951). There's a spectacular Dodge roadster in it with a track nose.

8. Stone

Stone

9. 22dodge

22dodge
    from Nevada

Ralph, it looks like a great start to a cool project.
    All I can offer is the one I have been working on for the last few years.
    Mine is the front of a touring car, but the cowl and doors, and windshield
    mounts are the same as yours.
    There are some more up to date photos in my profile folders.

Also, do a search for the "cancer car", HAMB member "farm boy" 's bad ass Dodge roadster. It's an awesome car. :cool:

Keep us posted on your progress, would make a cool fenderless full hood roadster though..... '22

Attached Files:

• 027.jpg
      027.jpg
      File size:
      199.4 KB
      Views:
    • 020.jpg
      020.jpg
      File size:
      235.7 KB
      Views:
    • 030.jpg
      030.jpg
      File size:
      220.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  10. freebird101

freebird101

those are so cool. never knew how cool the trunk looks

11. Ralph,

I am a big fan of the DB and am finishing a 29 Ford with some DB touches and a Dodge D500 Hemi.

Your car screams and begs for a low deck DODGE Hemi, the 241 or 270. Offy has, just this year, reintroduced the 1x4bbl manifold. There are lots of parts available, expecially if you are willing to stay with stock specs. I can give you advice and connections for reasonable parts.

Please consider this option, with all due respect to the SBC crowd; please, please do not go there. Your Dodge Roadster is far too special for a pedestrian engine choice.

Send me a private message as I may have some Dodge Hemi parts available for the right project.

You may want to see what a dolled-up Dodge Hemi looks like, and why the littlest Hemi is the one Tex Smith called the 'jewel in the crown" of Mopar Hemis. If so go to:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=356019&highlight=track+roadster&showall=1

Please give me a holler...

trakrodstr
    aka Charlie

12. 80shovel

80shovel
    from Seattle

13. Wow...flipping that frame over is clever as hell.

Dammit....now I have to add yet another car to my list of "must haves"

14. oldbg

oldbg

Like those 29_32 Fords...BUT....a Mopar rod, that is being WAY more Cool !!!!good luck
    I have a 27 Chrysler Roadster/with hemi...

15. 50Fraud

50Fraud

This one. LOVE the tail on these roadsters:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and another one that I saw at some show a while back. LARS, maybe?

[​IMG]

16. 23crate

23crate
    from nz

cool roadster!...

recently ditched all my plastic T body and 6 pack poncho in favour of a 23 Dodge coupe... needs a trunk , rust motor will be fenderless. .....

kiwijeff likes this.
  17. 23crate

Your Dodge Brothers coupe will be rare and interesting. There are still some descent vintage DB badges and grease caps rattling around on ebay motors for use as emblems; also the online prices for mid 30s Mopar steel artillery wheels are not too high, especially if you shop around (eg. buy from vendors who have a single wheel for sale).

Good luck with your project, and keep the little Dodge Hemi in mind for an engine…a Dodge in a Dodge.

18. 23crate

23crate
    from nz

thanks trakrodstr. im really excited bout this car .. would love a red ram for it, but more likely heading toward a 318. Grill badge is in mint condition , and have a couple rear caps on the 'solids' ..
    all good for now, summers is here, so time to get building
    crate

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Just realized this thread is about five years old. Wonder what happened to the O/Ps project? Hope he stayed with the stock proportions and fenders and such. I was going to post the screen side delivery and matching touring of Bob and Judy Ames out of Utah, but I'll have to dig it up.

For those with a short memory, the underslung car was built by Rich Riddel.