Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 31 Plymouth Business Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 340 Power, Nov 13, 2014.

1. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

Having a couple projects in the works, I have decided to mive my 31 Plymouth to the top of the list.Here it is....Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

2. st.rod

st.rod

That's a 32 PB grill shell and insert. Damn hard to find!

Larry

3. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

I knew it was for a 32. Didnt realise they were a hard to find item.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

chryslerfan55 likes this.

4. Awesome project! I've got a '39 Plymouth business coupe (avatar). I'll be watching this one.

5. You beat me to it....

6. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

I will try to post some pics of the inside and trunk later. While its missing a few things inside, it still has all the wood, and the steel floor is complete in the trunk and car only needing a couple small repairs at the inner fender areas.

7. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

Here is the rest of the car. I will be looking for a different driverside rear fender and a few other parts as well. I will most likely have to fab a new trunk lid. The one that should have come with the car has been misplaced and is quite rough I was told. Also, there is no dash or visor for it yet.

Attached Files:

8. Jen......

Jen......

very nice project

340 Power likes this.
  9. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

looks like a great project! I have a 31 also but the lower part of my quarters at back are partly gone. Is there a way you could measure yours for me? The metal section that goes below the deck lid also. I attached a photo hoping that you can see what I need. I don't know how wide these raised areas are. I would like to make it as close to right as possible. Thanks
    DSC00674 (2).jpg

10. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

Here another photo of the rear of mine. hope you can help.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and biggeorge like this.
  11. Cool,another early mopar build....Watching.

12. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

I will try to get you some measurements tommorrow.

13. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

My local ( N. central PA) machine shop owner just recently showed me his 3W Plymouth that I never knew he had. He called it a 32 but it has a visor like a model A Ford and oval back window like yours. I'm pretty sure a 32 Plym is like the Deuce Ford, i.e. without a visor. And the 31 was last year for oval BW...... No?
    Anyway it was a clean build he said was done in the 80's.... SBC / TH350.
    So, 340 Power....will it get 340 power?
    I'm subscribing!

14. Here is a '32 Plymouth....no visor or oval window.... P1250027.jpg

Attached Files:

15. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

This car will get a 55 desoto 291 hemi. It just fits the build better than the 340. Though there is nothing quite like pulling the wheels in 2nd gear with a built 340 :)

I never realised how different the 32 was from the 31. Very drastic changes in one model year.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and Roger53 like this.
  16. hallrods

hallrods

What's your plan for the car? Full fendered no fenders channelled chopped?

17. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

My plan is full fendered no side panels and no chop or channel. Of course plans generally change.

chryslerfan55 and nunattax like this.
  18. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

Thanks for the clarity, Dodger. Your 32 is a stunner.

340, the 291 Hemi is a cool choice and yeah I guess 32 was a milestone year not only for Ferds.

Now I gotta get in my machinist's face about the real year of his car.

chryslerfan55 and Atwater Mike like this.
  19. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

!cid_6E87EE19-08EB-4EAF-BC96-F19562AA2D3F.jpg !cid_51F5042C-CF07-4328-90D7-F8C7F2D8A791.jpg
    THOSE RUSTY LWR REAR QTRS SEEM TO RUN IN THE FAMILY !!!!

20. I wish that was my '32 Plymouth! I have two '31 DB business coupes. I was simply posting the Plymouth to show some differences. If we can see some photos of your car, we can tell you the real year. John

21. Pretty sure the PA was carried over into the 1932 model year and the PB came out mid year.
    Or so I've been told....

22. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

340 yours is a 31 or a 32 PA. the 30 had squared off doors, both front and back. the 31 had curved doors at back top.(like ours) According to a history book that I have called the Plymouth and Desoto Story the rear window (like the one used in the 1929 Plymouth and the DeSotos) was scattered through out the 1931 Plymouths also. It says that they were used as what was available. Just a FYI.

340 Power likes this.
  23. fedjeffy

fedjeffy
    from socal

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1416025251.192566.jpg i have what I was told a 33 Plymouth. I would like to know if in fact it is and if not what year it is. Also I need the garnish moldings for this car if anyone has them. Thank you.

24. Jen......

Jen......

I would say 33 , interior door handle location would tell me more along with picture of dash if its still stock

25. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

31_Plymouth_Coupe_04.jpg this one is a 30 or a 30 U as they call them. notice the squared off doors at top and the raised area follows the edge of where the rear fender would bolt on and the 31 and 32 PA go up the crown of the quarters.
    I'm not trying to be a know it all I'm just sharing what I've learned by studying these history books and learning from the AACA guys.(Restoration site.)

oliver westlund and 340 Power like this.
  26. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

Dodger, I likely won't get a pic for a couple of weeks anyway (or maybe not `til spring) but I'll post it when I do.
    Keep it coming Finman, learnin's a good thing.

27. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

When I first joined this group, I looked around a bit only to find Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford ( sorry but its true ). I really figured when it came to me actually building a car and keeping a project thread, it would be a short thread just because of everyone here seemed to be into the Ford stuff. I gotta say I am so happy to see all interest in the Mopars. As well as all the good information I have been provided so far, it seems like every time I open this sight there is another piece of info that helps educate me a little more. I cant wait to get started on this coupe with all the mopar educated people I have met so far. There doent seem to be near the readily available info out there on these old cars as there is on others, but you guys have already shown me there is more than enough info on this sight alone from guys like you to see this car through to the end. Just wanna say Thanks :)

28. Being a Plymouth type guy myself, I can appreciate your project. If you ever require dimensions,measurements,etc Paul Barber, who owns Hortons hot rods in Milton Ontario has the same car. I realize that his has been rodded, but He is a great guy and can give you any info that you may need for your build.

29. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I agree, you don't see much on here for Mopars, but they come out of the wood work and answer your questions when needed. I just bought another truck, a 1937 Plymouth pickup, and I have not seen much on here about them. When I pick it up in the spring I will have more, then we will see who has one of them.

oliver westlund likes this.