Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects How do you like your '27's?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Nov 12, 2014.

?
  1. Frank Mack black one, or Bucky Boudemans red/white one?

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  2. Frank Mack

15 vote(s)
    78.9%
  3. Bucky Boudeman

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I'm a slow learner, don't have good time management skills, poor judgement or all three, because in the midst of two (more or less) traditional custom projects, my '59 T'Bird roadster and the "new" '63 Riviera for my wife, I'm planning, and accumulating parts for another roadster, this time a '27.

I miss having a "hot rod", and I miss my '36 Fordillac, well parts of it anyway. I miss the light, powerful, wind-in-your-face part, but I don't miss the lumber wagon ride, '30's era braking, slow steering and poor ergonomics of the car. It was an overpowered, underbraked, slow steering death-mobile. I want something that rides better, steers and stops better, has a more traditional, recognizable look.

I've always liked '27's, and a long time ago I built a fully rendered 'glass one with Ford 200 inline six for power (because I had one). It was light, well balanced, quick steering, had reasonably good brakes, and while the inline six took up some space in the cockpit, it wasn't horrible to drive.

So, while building two customs, there's an ever increasing pile of parts gathering for a hot rod. I traded the 454/Turbo 400 combo from the derelict but very low milage motorhome I parted out for a set of beautiful 15"Dayton rim laced, chrome knock-off wheels and hub adaptors. My old '27 had 15 MG knock off wires, and I always like them on that little car. This will be a nice reminder of those days. I have the front axle and 'bones from the '36's original chassis, and I'm increasingly sold on the idea of the spring ahead of the axle on a track roadster style car. Of course it needs to be rebuilt and juice brakes added, but that's easy and will remind me of the '36. For power, because I have it, there's the 350 Chevy TBI from the '93 van I used bits of for the Diamond T on the floor in the back of the shop. It ran great but could use a quickie ring/valve job, and replace the TBI with a carb and intake and a distributor. I have an E-carb and intake I bought for our Chris Craft but never used still in boxes on a shelf. A 700R4 will be easy to swap for the 4L60E now bolted to the engine, even if I use it as a core for an exchange. An S10 rear from the local pick-your-part and I'll have the complete drivetrain, and 1-800-Let's-Go-Shopping will land another 'glass '27 bare body shell on my doorstep cheap.

I have two cars locally here for inspiration and patterns as well, the only decision is which version should I emulate (OK, copy)? The first is my friend, the late Buck Boudemans '27 highboy on Duece rails, with a built flat-motor. The flathead is out because I don't have one, but otherwise, it's a very cool car. Very low, very loud, very period correct with the speed sweep paint job and all old Ford chassis and drivetrain.

Car #2 is the Frank Mack '27, which is the one I'm leaning more towards. It's more what I'd originally envisioned in that it's highboy styled, with a hidden perimeter frame, dropped floor, full belly-pan, uses the later spring ahead front end I like, and it uses an overhead valve Caddy 331. Quite a bit more "modern" than Bucky's car, and would fit me, as Frank and I are both little guys.

Both cars are on display at the Gilmore Car Museum, right around the corner from me, and both are burning a hole in my brain. Which one would you use as basis for the design of a track style '27? Two similar, but very different takes on the same theme. Take a look, or better yet, visit the Gilmore and see them both in person. photo.JPG IMG_0760.JPG

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  2. Paul

Paul
    Editor

There is no way anyone could recreate Frank Mack's T with a small block Chevy and fiberglass body.

sko_ford likes this.
  3. millersgarage

millersgarage

4. Both cool cars. I've always wanted a 27 roadster. My choice would be the first pic with the track T nose & hood. Be cool if it also had the full belly pan. Some people like them, but I find those headlights butt ugly.

5. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Jeff, I wish you hadn't shared that CL ad! ;-). And Paul, thanks for your input. How do you know what I can't do?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. bambbrose

bambbrose
    from So. Utah

I think 26-27 roadsters look best with belly pans and track-t front ends that cover most of the front end up.

7. millersgarage

millersgarage

It's so close too....

I am a professional pot stirrer/pain in the butt...

kiwijeff and sko_ford like this.
  8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

The Frank Mack '27 roadster would be a snap to replicate with glass body and SBC!
    Nose, hood, and bellypan are the only 'handmade' criticals, and are easily formed with aluminum.
    I sense a 'dare' here, Brian...

9. Hard choice,I like them both! HRP

10. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

They are both cool, you can't go wrong either way you choose. Personally I would lean toward Frank Mack's T

11. The word I like is enabler

12. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

o_OThere is only one Frank Mack roadster it would be a shame to replicate it with a glass body and small block imo - sorry.

David

13. I say go for it,I vividly recall the Fordillac so I'm sure you could replicate ether one. HRP

14. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I bet I could. Would it be spot on perfect, no, but it would have the essence of the original. With that full hood you wouldn't know if there was a sbc or a lawn mower motor in there. A purist might not care for it, but I bet it could come out pretty nice.

I love that car, go for it.:)

Don

flynbrian48 likes this.
  15. Paul

Paul
    Editor

You are welcome :)

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Buck Boudeman had some great cars, sad that he's gone now. Does this red and white Roadster have history or is it a recent build? The Mack car is in a class of its own, and I wouldn't copy it. I'd try to build something like Boudeman car with the rear tires inside the wheel wells as seen on the Mack car. Bob

18. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

From your past builds I am sure you will build something that is uniquely yours but captures the essence of the cars you admire. Who am I to judge, my '27 has four doors.

19. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Bucky's '27 has personal history with him, since he'd had the body, and many of the components for decades. The rails were, I believe, American stamping that he kicked in the rear, new spring perch in front, and built on the garage floor with a Lincoln stick welder. The chassis was set up old school, rails on the floor, setting on rims, the way he did hot rods as a kid. The body was stretched through the doors, and the turtle deck shortened the same amount. Buck was tall and couldn't fit in a '27 body otherwise.

20. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Precisely. I going to build it for me, not someone else who's idea of what's "correct" in a hot rod is more closed minded than the pickiest of restorers.

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

Hope that wasn't a reaction to my question about Buck's Roadster. I'd never seen it, and with so many "Period Correct" builds the real ones get lost in the crowd these days. Bob

22. Squablow

Squablow

The one posted for sale above seems like a steal at that price. Starting with that seems many dollars and hours ahead of starting from scratch, plus with that one you've got a steel body and a title. In Wisconsin, that'd be a huge deal.

As for which of the above cars I like best, I like the wheels, windshield and the black paint of the first one better, but I like the grille and exposed frame rails of the second one better, so I'm having a hard time choosing. I think I'd combine the two styles into a best-of, without the suicide spring perch or the E&J's.

flynbrian48 likes this.
  23. 54sled

54sled

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1415841544.053417.jpg Bought this one here a month ago,because it just has the look!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. bct

bct

any roadster with a belly pan is awesome .

25. I like both of em, so I'm no help.
    Crept maybe to say Jeff's C list ad looks like it'd be worth investigating.

26. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

It does look interesting, but two things: First, the only part of it I'd use would be the body shell, and it's channeled, which seems like a ton of $$ for T body that needs everything. I can buy a glass body with no floor, do the doors and reinforcing or about a quarter of that.
    Second, my wife would absolutely flip out if I brought home yet another project. Sometimes, "No" means "Aw HELL NO!"

kiwijeff likes this.
  27. Collecting parts is NOT "bringing home another project"... until you start working on it :D

28. Keep looking. I paid less than a fiberglass repro for my roadster body, and it came with seat cushions and all. Just needs new 'bun' panels and a little body work, but it's one of the nicest I've seen...just had to be patient.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.