Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 36, 37 and 38 Chevy trucks.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kiwijeff, Nov 10, 2014.

1. I have a friend who's 26, into tunner cars, and has been starting to show an interest in hot rods lately.
    He shows me a drawing of a Rudy truck last week, and asks if I'd go with him this afternoon, to look at a truck cab. Shows me a pic, and I Id it as a mid 30s Chevy.
    I know nothing about them, so Google imaged em, and it looks like 36, 7 and 38s are similar, if not the same.
    Any info I should know, before we go look at it?
    I'll take some pics if he buys it. It comes as cab and fenders only.
    Thanks fellas.

2. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Cabs were about the same....fenders not so much. Check out my full fender'd 36........

3. Joe H

Joe H

36 low cab looks like a 37-38 except the windshield is slightly different at the bottom corners. As long as the windshield frame is intact, you are good. '37-'38 are the same, except you fuel a '37 from under the passenger seat. In '38 they moved the fuel inlet to the passenger side of the cab on the outside, I believe low cab '36s fuel from the outside also. Gauges, seats and doors are all the same. Hoods changed each year, fenders are the same for '37-'38. Car parts will not fit any of the three. '37 was first year with out wood in the cab, but I would bet low cab '36 is the same way.

Lower front cab corners rust out, and lower doors also. '37-'38 steel fenders are rarely in good shape, mine are glass. Lots of dealers sell reproduction parts now. Frames should be about the same.

Joe

4. Thanks, good info.
    Just got back from looking at it. Its probably a 38, and is a Sedan cut down.
    Guys asking $250 kiwi for it.
    My buddy not sure if he wants to do it or not.
    Here's some pics. IMG_20141111_171409.jpg IMG_20141111_171425.jpg IMG_20141111_172654.jpg IMG_20141111_171400.jpg

5. the grill shell is '38. it has the extra "humps" jutting forward at the light mount.
    on the cab, i thought '38 had a hole in the upper left side for the main wiring to go through. that cab has hole near the middle recess.
    all this may not apply to trucks sent to NZ.

6. That could be fun,

image.jpg

kiwijeff likes this.
  7. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

It looks like its a combination of a car truck parts.

8. The kiwi stuff is different ( some wired some very cool) as they put things together.
    Then lots can happen in almost 80 years as far as modifications.
    Doesn't have the lines of a sedan, they are of a truck, but the back of the roof and door tops look a little different.

image.jpg

Then the cab blends into a trunk ???

37hotrod likes this.
  9. ...looks like a Ute to me..?...that "cab" looks factory built.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  10. Lots weird oz stuff so who knows.

But it is my understanding that utes were based off of the car's front end.

I wonder if any scars can be seen where the truck stops and the other begins. ?

11. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have never seen a truck based ute before but since I do not live there who knows what was made.

12. Rckt98

Rckt98

The "weird stuff" was pretty much only in Australia. New Zealand largely had American bodied vehicles in that era.

kiwijeff likes this.
  13. The young fella decided it to much work for him. He's got a good job, very handy with tools, but he's buying his first home, and has a tunner project with 450 horse engine.
    I'm almost tempted to buy it, but with two unfinished projects, I don't need it.:D:eek:

14. Hi Jeff, that's not a cut down car body and the hood is not car either but does look Aussie in regards to the side vents. Im intrigued now. JW

15. Except for that one :)

kiwijeff likes this.
  16. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The front fenders look to be from a car and they will not work on trucks built in the US but who knows with vehicles built where it was made.

17. untitled.png 39 ute

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
    kiwijeff likes this.
  18. ^^^That's a 39 not a 38. JW

19. rustang

rustang

Hood and side vents are '38, the cab looks like a '38 but being from across the pond, might not be. The radiator shroud is curious.....My '38 has minimal raised humps for the headlight pods... not like what is shown.

20. 36chevute2.jpg Turns out, its a ute. Probably rare enough to warrant saving it, but not by me and my limited metalwork skills.
    This ones a 36.